joefishnj21

New Study regarding catch and release

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I read this through the NY post today than dove further into the topic and found it interesting. Wanted to hear anglers thoughts on it. Basically the journal of experimental biology did a study on the affects of catch and release and the fishes feeding habits thereafter.

"Maximum gape, time to peak gape, maximum jaw protrusion and predator–prey distance were comparable between the control and injured groups, leading us to conclude that the injury-induced hole in the buccal cavity wall reduced the pressure gradient during mouth expansion, thereby reducing the velocity of water entering the fish's mouth. This was confirmed with our CFD modelling. Fishing injuries in nature are likely to depress feeding performance of fish after they have been released, although it is currently unclear whether this has a significant impact on survival."

Now what the study lacked was a follow up to the long term survivavibility of the fish based upon their hook injury so in my opinion it seems inconclusive. I do wonder though, with fishing so popular, and googans stomping on fish heads, ripping off lips, and not pressing down barbs, if our numbers are being depleated due to an injured fish's inability to survive. Here is the article.

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/221/19/jeb180935

https://nypost.com/2018/10/11/why-catch-and-release-is-just-as-bad-for-the-fish/

Edited by joefishnj21

1 hour ago, ErikT said:

Googan article... 

Googan is mistreating fish and then wondering why they're getting less abundant.  If nothing else, this should reaffirm that you need to treat your fish with care, and crush your barbs.  Thanks for the good read Joe

joefishnj21 likes this

Third time I've seen this article get posted about this week.  It basically doesn't say anything, just a bunch of likelys and maybes.

I catch largemouth with holes in their mouths all the time, no trouble for them to suck a 5 inch swimbait in

“Catch-and-release fishing could cause fish to experience a 35 percent reduction in their ability to feed.”

Headline from Newsweek. I’m sure same study. While interesting, a DEAD fish has a “100 percent reduction in their ability to feed.” Just saying. 

12 hours ago, nateD said:

It basically doesn't say anything, just a bunch of likelys and maybes.

Science is based of of the existing body of science.  Rarely do we learn something in isolation.  This serves to lay groundwork for others to redesign and perform additional studies.

12 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

That's very standard for scientific studies

Correct.  "conclusive science" is a rarity.  Thats not a knock, it's one way our collective inquisitiveness leads to progress.