baldwin

Resources for new Kayak Fishermen

25 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, bantis said:

I think teaching the kids how to properly analyze the weather is more important than technique.  Understanding wind limits and anticipating weather makes for safer and more enjoyable kayaking.  I think it would be a good idea to keep the kids off the water for the first month or so, that way they are more focused and prepared.  Theirs plenty of material to cover

Mmm, I think you gotta mix it up or they won't know why they're studying and not having fun. I tried to learn drums in my early 20's and had no patience for rudiments when I was already playing in a band. I never did become a good drummer.

59 mins ago, gellfex said:

Mmm, I think you gotta mix it up or they won't know why they're studying and not having fun. I tried to learn drums in my early 20's and had no patience for rudiments when I was already playing in a band. I never did become a good drummer.

When i was in school PE would take a week or so to teach the kids about a sports rules and safety before they would let us play around.  Generally their would be a period of study, practice, then finally playing.

In college i took bowling as an elective.  They taught us how to do the math on our own on paper with tests, along with the proper approach and technique before letting us hit the lanes.

As an adult I think this is the proper way to teach people new things.  Im a self taught snowboarder so i understand people can learn by doing.  However, slowing down to fully understand a sport creates a solid foundation.

This sport was created with folks building their own carts, crates, anchor systems, rigging etc. Paddling techniques, safety and self rescues, you name it....and we shared ideas with 1000's via the web forums, in particular Kayak Fishing Stuff website and guess what?  Nobody died and experience was acquired.....and now we need an associates degree in kayak fishing to teach others? :laugh:  The blind led the blind. That's what happened. Forums in particular this forum, is a great place to attain information. Just like any forum, you will only get out of it what you put in.

This sports was built on simple it's just too bad it doesn't stay that way.

Edited by The Riddler

26 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Nobody died

Cmon Riddler, people die every year kayak fishing because they just got a boat and put it in the water. I've seen dangerous paddlers on both whitewater and flat who were never shown the safe way to do things, they were clueless. I don't think there should be regulation all up and down, but actually learning from someone who truly knows what they're teaching is the best and safest way to boat, in any kind of boat. Learn to fish on your own? Sure, have a ball,  yet surf fishermen and even river fishermen drown frequently too.

Edited by gellfex

43 mins ago, gellfex said:

Cmon Riddler, people die every year kayak fishing because they just got a boat and put it in the water. I've seen dangerous paddlers on both whitewater and flat who were never shown the safe way to do things, they were clueless. I don't think there should be regulation all up and down, but actually learning from someone who truly knows what they're teaching is the best and safest way to boat, in any kind of boat. Learn to fish on your own? Sure, have a ball,  yet surf fishermen and even river fishermen drown frequently too.

I am stating the facts on how I got my kayak fishing education in 2003 and that was on the forums and putting my ideas into action on the water.  In fact, almost everyone I know got their kayak fishing information on web forums and since they stayed around for years and we started friendships they are not dead. They are still kayak fishing today so obviously something worked.

If you want to overstretch that now into some bozo who buys a kayak at dicks puts in the water and dies and think that has to do on how web forum kayak fishing sharing of information is conducted?  There really isn't any other reason to have a conversation with you about it. Because every poster that I see?  Mentions safety first and more importantly, how they do that.

Edited by The Riddler

45 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I am stating the facts on how I got my kayak fishing education in 2003 and that was on the forums and putting my ideas into action on the water.  In fact, almost everyone I know got their kayak fishing information on web forums and since they stayed around for years and we started friendships they are not dead. They are still kayak fishing today so obviously something worked.

If you want to overstretch that now into some bozo who buys a kayak at dicks puts in the water and dies and think that has to do on how web forum kayak fishing sharing of information is conducted?  There really isn't any other reason to have a conversation with you about it. Because every poster that I see?  Mentions safety first and more importantly, how they do that.

You said no one died from getting into kayak fishing without instruction. That simply was not true.  I agree there's great info here and other forums, but a small fraction of kayak fishermen actually do this. A small fraction of kayak fishermen on SOL even participate in the kayak forum, I don't know how much of it they read.  

Getting out with other kayak fishermen taught me the fishing part of the equation. In this sue me world of liability, formal training is probably wise fir the group.. Efficient paddling is an art. It took me many years and miles to learn to push the high dry hand in addition to pulling the low wet hand.

14 mins ago, gellfex said:

You said no one died from getting into kayak fishing without instruction. That simply was not true.  I agree there's great info here and other forums, but a small fraction of kayak fishermen actually do this. A small fraction of kayak fishermen on SOL even participate in the kayak forum, I don't know how much of it they read.  

Excuse me, stop twisting my words and being a jerk off. :laugh:

Here is my quote, talking about the days of Kayak fishing stuff and the experiences we shared, now you are twisting that into something else? :

"This sport was created with folks building their own carts, crates, anchor systems, rigging etc. Paddling techniques, safety and self rescues, you name it....and we shared ideas with 1000's via the web forums, in particular Kayak Fishing Stuff website and guess what?  Nobody died and experience was acquired.....and now we need an associates degree in kayak fishing to teach others?   The blind led the blind. That's what happened. Forums in particular this forum, is a great place to attain information. Just like any forum, you will only get out of it what you put in. "

My message has never been, never was, never will be, to tell somebody to get a kayak and go out without any type of guidance. The forums has proven to work.

Edited by The Riddler

1 min ago, cheech said:

Getting out with other kayak fishermen taught me the fishing part of the equation. In this sue me world of liability, formal training is probably wise fir the group.. Efficient paddling is an art. It took me many years and miles to learn to push the high dry hand in addition to pulling the low wet hand.

See, I learned that the 1st day in a weekend class at Sebago with the MCKC, and to rotate and use my core.  Not to say I perfected it, but I learned it. I had canoed since I was a pre-teen, but the kayak stroke is way different.

That's funny. It also took me over 10, maybe 15 years of kayaking before I learned to push with the top hand, but it was thinking about how I cast a surf rod that made me try it.  You've all got some really good points on here. Including about how keeping it simple has changed so much. Most of the yak fishing I've ever done, until the last few years, was out of a sit-in (Wilderness Systems Pungo, 12'), no electonics or crate, no anchor trolley or other gizmos. Just a PFD, rod and reel, boga and a few lures. I've very recently added fishfinder/GPS and anchor trolley, as much for safety as for efficiency. But I still try to keep it as simple as possible.