baldwin

Resources for new Kayak Fishermen

25 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of starting a kayak fishing team at the high school at which I teach. I'm wondering about which resources you would recommend for teaching new kayakers and kayak fishers for kayaking safety, techniques ( maneuvering, dealing with wind, currents, etc) and kayak fishing. Online resources, books, etc., any are appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start with (late)  Jon Shein's book. Look it up on amazon.

Youtube has wealth of visual info aid :) as well

 

And this resource, of course, for specific stuff

 

Edited by r111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Facebook group "Church of the Double-Bladed Paddle" has a lot of passionate yakers... not so much focused on fishing like you'll find here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, baldwin said:

I'm in the process of starting a kayak fishing team at the high school at which I teach. I'm wondering about which resources you would recommend for teaching new kayakers and kayak fishers for kayaking safety, techniques ( maneuvering, dealing with wind, currents, etc) and kayak fishing. Online resources, books, etc., any are appreciated. 

Are you self taught? If so, odds are your stroke is not optimal if no one taught you how to use your core and rotate rather than just using your arms. There's good videos on proper paddling technique. I recommend taking a ACA instructor certification class if you're going to be teaching. Universities require it for their classes, and they can provide insurance. We all lament seeing poorly trained people on the roads and in powerboats, don't add more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 mins ago, gellfex said:

Are you self taught? If so, odds are your stroke is not optimal if no one taught you how to use your core and rotate rather than just using your arms. There's good videos on proper paddling technique. I recommend taking a ACA instructor certification class if you're going to be teaching. Universities require it for their classes, and they can provide insurance. We all lament seeing poorly trained people on the roads and in powerboats, don't add more.

Great advice. I'll check into that and see when I can do it (and if it's affordable). Better to do it right.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, baldwin said:

I'm in the process of starting a kayak fishing team at the high school at which I teach. I'm wondering about which resources you would recommend for teaching new kayakers and kayak fishers for kayaking safety, techniques ( maneuvering, dealing with wind, currents, etc) and kayak fishing. Online resources, books, etc., any are appreciated. 

Ward Melville High here on Long Island has a Team/Club. Been going for a few years. You might reach out and talk to the instructor.

 They also host the (I don't mind saying it) best Fishing Expo or Show during the off season on the island. All that asphalt and still not one parking space just after opening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, baldwin said:

I'm in the process of starting a kayak fishing team at the high school at which I teach. I'm wondering about which resources you would recommend for teaching new kayakers and kayak fishers for kayaking safety, techniques ( maneuvering, dealing with wind, currents, etc) and kayak fishing. Online resources, books, etc., any are appreciated. 

There is no crash course on kayak fishing that will help you lead others.  It will come from time on the water. The best you can hope for is the new kayak anglers, including yourself, take baby steps in safe protected water during the day light hours and move on from there with forums and books from folks like Jon Shein and others as a guide line. You can also find the Pro's and veterans in your area. If the Pro has the sponsor, more better to make contacts that will benefit your group. Another way is too contact Hobie, Ocean Kayak, Wildy, or any kayak manufacturer about what you are attempting to start up. They may offer assistance in a products rep or Pro and conduct seminars. You don't know until you ask.

 

maneuvering-  comes from time on the water

 

dealing with wind- comes from time on the water and wind reports online

 

currents- a tide chart. local knowledge, comes from time on the water.

 

You can also visit the US Canoe Association. That's who I used when I looked for insurance for tournaments. You pay them a fee and become a member. It says Canoe but it extends to kayaks I believe the group insurance rate is out of office in New York.  US Canoe willl have the contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, The Riddler said:

There is no crash course on kayak fishing that will help you lead others.

But Jeff there is, at least as far as the kayaking part. It's the ACA you mentioned and I had mentioned above.  Some people are natural instructors, but many aren't. I've seen many expert kayakers who were appalling instructors, they appeared unable to remember what it was like to not have the knowledge and skills they now possessed, or were at a loss for how to actually teach the skills.

 

https://www.americancanoe.org/page/Find_Instructors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, gellfex said:

But Jeff there is, at least as far as the kayaking part. It's the ACA you mentioned and I had mentioned above.  Some people are natural instructors, but many aren't. I've seen many expert kayakers who were appalling instructors, they appeared unable to remember what it was like to not have the knowledge and skills they now possessed, or were at a loss for how to actually teach the skills.

 

https://www.americancanoe.org/page/Find_Instructors

 

We are entitled to our opinions here. If that works for the OP great. He was asking for opinions and I gave him my opinion from being a kayak fisherman just like you did.

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are both right. One can (and probably should) take a crash course on how to kayak, period. But to learn kayak-fishing, you need experience, in baby steps, with safety in mind. It's a different level of complexity when the activities are combined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep em kids safe, enjoy the great outdoors and god's wonders, beauty of it all, teach kids to respect nature. 

 

Everything else is optional

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for responding here, with lots of good advice. I'm not new at kayak fishing or teaching. I've been kayak fishing for close to 30 years in fresh and salt water (mostly salt), teaching for over 20, and teaching fishing and running a school fishing club (usually with power boats) for 20 years. I've been on wilderness canoe trips lasting a week at a time. But I know that there are ways that trained instructors teach paddling and safety than I may do. We started out with the kids taking an online safety certification course, to make sure they know some basics before hitting the water. Each of them has already passed a CT boating safety course as part of their freshman tech class. We then went over some of the basic mechanics of paddling on shore, before they got into the boats. We then did a little paddling close to shore, using our mooring field as an obstacle course. Some got it pretty quickly, some are gonna need more practice than others. That's ok. We have some excellent and well-known local kayak fishermen who will be coming in and working with us. We're definitely taking baby steps. The cold months will be spent learning a lot while off the water, and we probably won't get much fishing in before next spring, other than maybe a little casting time at the end of the day's lessons. It certainly would help to have an instructor specifically trained in kayaking, we'll do the best we can with that. But, either way,  they'll be much better off than learning on their own. And I'm going to get them hooked up with as many quality resources as I can get for them. There really is a lot they can learn from so many people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, baldwin said:

Thank you for responding here, with lots of good advice. I'm not new at kayak fishing or teaching. I've been kayak fishing for close to 30 years in fresh and salt water (mostly salt), teaching for over 20, and teaching fishing and running a school fishing club (usually with power boats) for 20 years. I've been on wilderness canoe trips lasting a week at a time. But I know that there are ways that trained instructors teach paddling and safety than I may do. We started out with the kids taking an online safety certification course, to make sure they know some basics before hitting the water. Each of them has already passed a CT boating safety course as part of their freshman tech class. We then went over some of the basic mechanics of paddling on shore, before they got into the boats. We then did a little paddling close to shore, using our mooring field as an obstacle course. Some got it pretty quickly, some are gonna need more practice than others. That's ok. We have some excellent and well-known local kayak fishermen who will be coming in and working with us. We're definitely taking baby steps. The cold months will be spent learning a lot while off the water, and we probably won't get much fishing in before next spring, other than maybe a little casting time at the end of the day's lessons. It certainly would help to have an instructor specifically trained in kayaking, we'll do the best we can with that. But, either way,  they'll be much better off than learning on their own. And I'm going to get them hooked up with as many quality resources as I can get for them. There really is a lot they can learn from so many people. 

30 years kayak fishing is the most experience out of anybody I know. You have the experience to help others. We should be going to do your for advice.

 

i wish you well in your adventure and it would be great to see more young people in this sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have kayak fished for 30 years, but most of my fishing time in those years is with surfcasting. I do, though, feel about as comfortable on the water as on land most days, can handle most situations I run into, and know which ones to avoid. Most of my fishing in the yak has been for stripers, bluefish and largemouth, but in recent years I’ve picked up yak fishing for albies, fluke and blackfish. The addiction progresses. I love to teach kids to fish. It gives them a healthy outlet in these busy and stressful times, and helps keep them out of trouble. It can also provide incentive to keep their grades up and help them actually look forward to going to school if you do it right. I know it helps me to look forward to going to teach each day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think teaching the kids how to properly analyze the weather is more important than technique.  Understanding wind limits and anticipating weather makes for safer and more enjoyable kayaking.  I think it would be a good idea to keep the kids off the water for the first month or so, that way they are more focused and prepared.  Theirs plenty of material to cover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.