Joe G

"Stop the Bleed"

32 posts in this topic

This makes a lot of sense.

The Atlantic White Shark Conservancy is teaming up with the Town of Orleans to provide first aid training.

Three free lessons of the "Stop the Bleed" program are being offered  on 10/18, 11/1 and 11/8.  All will be taught by members of the Orleans Fire Rescue Department.

"Most white shark bite victims survive because of first aid initiated from bystanders.  White shark bites generally result in massive hemorrhaging which requires immediate first aid in order to stop the blood loss", the Conservancy noted.   

22 mins ago, bob_G said:

Sounds like the town of Orleans has already conceded defeat to the seals and GWs.

pansies, 

Forget the taxidermy guy, Chief Brody and Hooper would both have hear attacks if they heard this.

chief brody.gif

Posted (edited)

I believe all of the cape cod businesses should get together and consult Australia and see how they manage their beaches. According to an Australian Government web board Nets (which don't keep sharks out) and Drumlines are their defense. Good luck getting drum lines and nets deployed down there.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/fisheries/shark-control-program/shark-control-equipment-and-locations

We have the smartest people in the world at New England colleges and where ever Hooper was educated.  Maybe a giant shark shield and seal shields for that matter made out of electro current could be deployed at Nauset and build a trump wall. That way anglers can fish places like Nauset again. Evict all the seals and send them south. Keep monomoy wild.

Edited by The Riddler

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

Sounds like the town of Orleans has already conceded defeat to the seals and GWs.

you're right. people absolutely should not be trained in how to save a life. it's a waste of time. we lost. :huh: 

c'mon bob that's a useless comment. this training will give people the skills and knowledge if they are ever presented with these types of traumatic injuries. I commend both organizations for thinking outside the box with this program and hope that many people attend.

Edited by bradW

1 hour ago, bradW said:

you're right. people absolutely should not be trained in how to save a life. it's a waste of time. we lost. :huh: 

c'mon bob that's a useless comment. this training will give people the skills and knowledge if they are ever presented with these types of traumatic injuries. I commend both organizations for thinking outside the box with this program and hope that many people attend.

I agree. 

I have great respect for individuals who would volunteer for such work. Some of whom will end up swallowing the worst fear imaginable before diving into the water to pull out someone who by rights should have signed a waiver. 

To me, surrender would be simple. Chain link fence across the parking lot entrances. No Swimming, no surfing, no exceptions. Criminal prosecution for violating. 

Easy peasy.

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Forget the taxidermy guy, Chief Brody and Hooper would both have hear attacks if they heard this.

chief brody.gif

Well goverment waits many times to see if a problem will go away.........Many times it does but this time the chickens are comin' home to roost!

6850514071_ac8724df26_b (1).png

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, bradW said:

Brad,

No offense meant towards legitimate first responders.

My point was, the same ignorant people who against good advice, still insist on swimming among the GWs, will now be trained to administer to their wounds.

Seems part of the point with this training is that traditional, or “legitimate”, first responders will be too late for shark bite traumas. So if more normal everyday beach goers know what to do in the immediate aftermath, then lives might be saved that would otherwise be lost. Now, given the density of hospitals in Boston, you probably couldn’t cast a fly on a Cape beach in the summer without hitting a trained or trainee medical professional, but still, I really can’t see a downside to offering lay people training in shark trauma-specific first aid. 

1 person likes this

I've attended the "Stop the Bleed" course several times. It's a good course to attend. You never know when you will need it. The bleed can be from anything. ie: a great white, amputation, gunshot wound, lacerations, etc. the possibilities are endless. Any of us could be in the shop making plugs and accidentally cut an artery. With a massive bleed, you could die before 9-1-1 even answers the phone. Be prepared.

Edited by Pma531
1 person likes this