Goldy

Slipped Albright Knot with powerpro superslick

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

After about 3 hours of fishing the other night and no hook-ups (****** night), I noticed my hydro minnow floating next to me, and realize my albright knot slipped... Now I don't want to get into a huge FG vs albright vs uni-uni know discussion, im just curious if others using powerpro superslick have had albright slip out on them.  It looked like a clean slip, but i'm not sure why, 10 wraps down, overlap backup, and cinch.. Wierd... I usually use uni-uni, but I was like ok, let's do this today, so i'm just curious...

Thoughts?

Make sure you scrap off the braid coating with your nail. When tying, I try to make the turns tight and neat before cinching. Make sure it’s wet and do 20 turns then run the tag end twice in the eye before cinching.

For good measure, I cup the spool and pull on the leader until I’m comfortable that the knot won’t slip above the drag setting I’m using.

Tying lighter SS (20lb) to heavier flouro (50lb) using an Albright has been a recipe for disaster in my experience. I have found that the braid doesn't seem to bite into the harder flouro. With that said I have been using the knot described above with 20lb SS tying to 20lb flouro and it has been 100%.

Retry with the approach Bill gave the image for and see if that fixes the issue. 

I had this problem with the same line and 40 lbs yo zuri fluorocarbon and I gave up on the knot. Later I also gave up on 20lbs PP slick 8, too, but that’s a different story. 

I wont delve this into a big discussion about other knot alternatives, but I will say that I don’t like tying FG & PR out on the water. I just don’t trust the Albright or the Alberto for strength and not to backlash within the guides on my lighter tackle rods.

I’m a broken record on SOL at this point, but I’ve been tying PR or FG at home to a long leader of say 40 lbs. Then a swivel and a shorter leader of about 5-10 lbs less strength - say 30lbs. Then the TA clip at the end. This way I shouldn’t (hopefully) ever have to redo the braid to leader knot. The weakpoints are the swivel knots and the lighter leader. 

I know two years ago I had a stint of 4 knots that slipped 2 before fishing them and two after.

And then a bunch I couldn't cinch down......

I replaced my leader spool and it never happened again.  (it was an old 60lb wrist spool that had been submerged over and over again.  over the course of a pair of seasons)

I made the mistake of tying a polomar knot last night in 40lb off a pr knot....got hung up at the end of my cast and broke off a the reel.  On a positive note......I didn't have to worry about hanging up on the structure again...since i couldn't reach it.  :)    

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

After about 3 hours of fishing the other night and no hook-ups (****** night), I noticed my hydro minnow floating next to me, and realize my albright knot slipped... Now I don't want to get into a huge FG vs albright vs uni-uni know discussion, im just curious if others using powerpro superslick have had albright slip out on them.  It looked like a clean slip, but i'm not sure why, 10 wraps down, overlap backup, and cinch.. Wierd... I usually use uni-uni, but I was like ok, let's do this today, so i'm just curious...

Thoughts?

I fish a lot of Super Slick and have been using an albright for many years w/o failure, both in the surf and on the boat, inshore and offshore. I will say that I wrap at least 15 times; I've found that 10 wraps or so doesn't hold well at all. I've tested it w 10 wraps and it slips clean usually. Personally I usually wrap close to 20 times. I normally run 20lb SS to 20-30lb flouro leader, and 30-40lb SS to 40-60lb flouro without issues. Perhaps it was a lack of wraps that caused the failure?

Perhaps lack of wraps was the issue.. I'm going to set it up again with 20 wraps and try modified one... I'm determined b/c i'm tired of hearing it doesn't work from my buddy

Posted (edited) · Report post

Add 2 or 3 half hitches in the braid to finish the knot. It’ll never slip out again. With 30lb braid to 30, 40, or 50lb leader I do 8 or 9 wraps. Lighter leader material demands a few more. Each line/leader combo has a “magic number” of wraps, where the knot doesn’t slip, but it forms and seats perfectly without deforming the leader material. Just the same, after hours of casting, reeling through the guides, and fighting fish, I’ve had them let go. Not once has this happened since I began finishing with hitches, and that’s about 3 seasons worth, fishing 5-7 days a week, multiple setups, multiple line/leader combos. Trust me on this one. 

Edited by Seadogg

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Goldy said:

Perhaps lack of wraps was the issue.. I'm going to set it up again with 20 wraps and try modified one... I'm determined b/c i'm tired of hearing it doesn't work from my buddy

Do two overhand knots with the braid to finish. 

I do 12 wraps and use 832..

Edited by Buckscorider

If you tied a modified albright, which it sounds like you did, (some up, some back, through the loop) you must go back through the leader loop the same way you went in. If not, the knot will eventually unravel.

Most mis-ties expose themselves when you test the knot, but occasionally, they make it and something odd happens later on, as you experienced. 

While a lot of responses have encouraged more wraps, I think it is more important to be sure you get a good cinch, and this may mean fewer wraps. Your knot should be tight all the way down. Some lines bind too quickly and the back loops are left loose, no matter what you do. 

I like modified albright knots, and use them before unis, but to be honest, there really is nothing wrong with the uni knot and it is much easier to tie.