codfish

Fishing tackle from China "tariffs"

17 posts in this topic

The United States imports more than $457 million dollars of saltwater and freshwater fishing tackle from China each year.  Knight claims that the fishing tackle industry hasn’t been named specifically during trade war talks, but with more and more tariff rhetoric heating up between the U.S. and China it is definitely a possibility that prices on imported lures could see a significant jump in the next  several months.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:26 PM, codfish said:

Brian there are quite a few US fishing tackle Company's, some say they are US but are made in China, buyer beware:)

I'm well aware of it.  I am also well aware that increasing the price on items made in China may not bring their manufacture back to the US. More likely, their manufacture will be moved to some other low-cost jurisdiction, such as Vietnam.  

Rod blanks can be made here, but increasingly they are made only at the top end. Completed rods are moving overseas. I've lost count of the firms that made rods here, once upon a time, but have either gone under, or had to shift rodbuilding overseas. Fenwick. All Star. You name it ... and so it goes.