codfish

Fishing tackle from China "tariffs"

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Word on the street fishing tackle from China will be hit by a sharp increase, what say you?? what are the major brands made in China??

Edited by codfish

I’m not sure that where your gear is manufactured matters. Aluminum and steel prices are going up, as are prices for a lot of other intermediate materials. End result is probably that everyone pays a bit more for almost everything.

Tackle is mostly a straight rip off as it is. $15 for a decent striper plug is not uncommon but it should never cost close to that. I'd expect the damn thing to be made in the USA for that price.

8 hours ago, troutworm said:

My beloved egg rolls are going up ??

Only if they have steel in them.

37 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

We will complain but we will pay what ever they demand..... They will still be the cheapest game in town.. 

Only Time will tell:)

Southeast China is the world's factory floor. The metal costs to which Joem refers are rising because there are new tariffs on them too; they were not resolved as a part of the USMCA, a/k/a 

NAFTA #2.

The flip side of trying to bring back jobs via tariffs is that everything that comes back will rise to support American jobs. You pays you money, you takes you choice.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/11/2018 at 6:30 AM, codfish said:

Word on the street fishing tackle from China will be hit by a sharp increase, what say you?? what are the major brands made in China??

First off... You've asked a very intelligent question. Glad to see this being asked.

Of course tackle will be hit by a price increase. A tariff is nothing more than a TAX. Anything taxed will cost more. Simple as that. HALF of ALL Chinese goods got that new tax/tariff now. This just started 3 weeks ago. But this is at the lower 10% rate. The full 25% rate won't start till Jan 1 2019. They are using a tapering method so not to cause too much price shock too quickly. To make matters worse, that puppet at the pentagram is threatening to tariff the other 50% of Chinese goods too. You'll see the affects soon.

I can't help but wonder how concerned Van Staal is now. SMH...... :dismay:

I have have some friendly advice for all my virtual friends here on SOL. Look.... I know not everyone is a financial expert. But you guys should be more concerned about your investment portfolios, real estate assets, etc. There is a major financial storm coming upon us. Those who know the game will make a fortune. Those who don't, will lose theirs. All I can say is good luck. 

Edited by night owl

It was not to recent when i had a conversation with a rod Builder from America and i was told that the blanks being made cost less then $10 bucks to make and they were selling for over $100 . and in some cases over $200 . So much profit was being made from the graphite rods he told me he was getting into the rod making business here and had started the process to roll and cut the graphite he was manufacturing here in some shop that if he charged the same as what came from china, tiawan and a few other places it would become rich very fast. I hope I get to see him at the next show to see how he did .

When it comes to shipping cost to the US it has been reported that in order to ship any thing here, the container had to be full or it did not ship . Cheap labor cost overseas make it impossible for most here to compete, even with the extra charges added for shipping and that is a shame.

As far as some whom have found saying made in the US when it comes from oversees, one needs to look at what is made here where they can use that label and what is not. It may be just the packing that is made here,:howdy: or it may Be US China . They just did not add the China to it:howdy:

caster1990 likes this

I like a level playing field and I don’t hesitate to buy my gear. If it costs a little more so be it. It may make U S production viable again. 

I had had to wait 6 weeks for a warranty replacement rod last year that was made in Korea. Maybe we need to think of logistics as part of the overall quality.