z-man

Tog On Artificial Crab

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2018 at 8:00 PM, Slacker said:

Technically green crabs are Asians.  It is true. Google it.

No they are not, they were originally from Europe.

I tried the Savage crab for a short time yesterday and was getting plenty of bites on it when I could keep it on the bottom. It’s too light to fish effectively with any current. I need to figure out a way to add some weight to it. 

B791AF3D-A61E-4F3E-A121-A7BF0B4B9F53.jpeg

Put it on a bigger jig?

Another thing I've been experimenting with is using a half ounce rubber core sinker on the 8-12" hook leader when fishing a crab on a single hook. I'm thinking that it will help keep the bait still on the bottom and prevent it from spinning in the current. I haven't done it enough to know that it improves the presentation enough to make a difference.

Edited by Mike

I will use any one ounce jig head long shank in 1/0 or bigger that doesn't have an aberdine hook in it...I find them to be very productive in catching Black Fish... Feel bottom and set the hook when you feel the nibble. Then the fish becomes yours...

I would think a crab fly would work.  I've used them for sight fishing for stripers and don't see why they would work with tog.  Hooking them might be tough though.  Stripers have a much more aggressive take than a tog and it wouldn't taste very good.