Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bow390

Have you ever caught a holdover?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Have any of you ever caught a winter holdover striper in NY? I know they used to get them in the power plant when it produced warm water but I’m talking about a cold water striper between Jan,Feb or March. 

12 mins ago, hydraman said:

I’ve got a striper on Long Island out front every month of the year. That includes all winter months. 

By out front you mean off the south side beaches?

We used to have holdover stripers, the ones who were in the same area with the same scars, and the few who would hit that area would let them go.  I had caught one once while going for something else, (sea run trout) and after I let it go a local who wouldn't have given me the time of day surprised me more than the fish did by thanking me, telling me about that fish ("Harvey", and I had to pronounce it like Ralph Kramden did) and impressing the need for letting go the holdover fish.  ("now that you don't suck anymore... LOL")

But after the internet opened up, whether it's the information now available, the maps and imagery, whatever - the holdover bass were scooped up and taken home, and that's that.  I remember talking to another old sharpie about the loss of the fish and we lamented the loss of the "locals".  I had stated I let the old girls go and kept only things like white perch, etc. and he said it won't be long before that's gone too, and sure enough that came true.  I used to hit the suds on a good winter day, just out of curiousity and to try fishing rare really clean water, but now I'll go for sweet water instead, we're lucky on the island to have the fishing rules that permit fishing during the winter for stuff that's out of season in the rest of the state.  Even the fish for the pickling jar, herring and macs, are getting hammered to the point where they're rare on the shore.

Grea point Valley.

I just got into the brief Squid run last year that we have during the cold months and its sickening to watch the Bucket Brigaide  from Wok N Roll  relentlessly keep everything.

Same with Herring... 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/10/2018 at 10:14 PM, Bow390 said:

Have any of you ever caught a winter holdover striper in NY? I know they used to get them in the power plant when it produced warm water but I’m talking about a cold water striper between Jan,Feb or March. 

Not going to give away spots. But there was some nice fish in February many years ago with their bellies full of trout fingerlings. This was probably 15 years ago. In 2001-2002 had fish in the surf in January and NS keeper size in March. The bass biomass has been spiraling down since. If you think the fishing is good currently; then you have never experienced good fishing. 

Edited by Shag

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/10/2018 at 10:14 PM, Bow390 said:

The stacks WAS always fun for a winter fix. 

Edited by Rip-Line

Not during the winter months, but right before thanksgiving about 5 years ago CnRed a tagged fish.  Mailed in the tag, fish was initially caught and tagged 1 town over several years before, likely a resident fish IMO.