Best cheap bucktails?

Rate this topic

scoobydoo

On 10/14/2018 at 2:05 AM, HansB said:

I owe Dan Tinman a shout out too....one of my better days with spring schoolies was with his bucktails.......needless to say I ordered more.    

IMG_9625.JPG

Nice fish, any idea in the difference between the banana head and an Spro or kazuka style?

(*member formerly known as ‘nygnyrredsoxfan’)

Ditch Troll #340

1 hour ago, nygnyrredsoxfan said:

Nice fish, any idea in the difference between the banana head and an Spro or kazuka style?

I actually caught and released a fresh out of the bay 43” fish that day on one of Dan's ¾ oz banana head jigs.   I’ve got a picture of me with her but it shows exactly where I was fishing. 

Regarding the bucktails query, these are the same kind of questions I asked Dan last year as he makes a variety of types of heads and he could answer that type of question better.   I would direct questions to him on his bucktail thread.

I did ask him about the Spro from the beach and he said he prefers a more forward balance head where the pull point on the banana head and the shape of the head caused more resistance and makes the head want to ride up.  On a bullet head with a similar pull point the  round blunt surface makes it run a little deeper because it has less of a planning effect.  He also mentioned that you can cast the bullet head further but can also keep it higher in the water if necessary by adding more hair than on a banana head jig.

I’m still a noob as I’ve only been seriously doing this for a little over a year and learning a lot along the way from more experienced guys like Dan, Winch and BigNevadaBob.  I got a real nice banana head jig that Bob made for me and I’ve caught a lot of fish on that one.

I will still use Spro when it’s windy and rough and I want to fish the lower part of the zone as the shape of the head and the sparse hair on it makes it dig down a lot faster than some of the other bucktails.  I also use it a lot when I’m fishing the beach lip.  I don’t encounter the problem with it running sideways and there are a lot of deeper beaches where you are fishing from an elevated position and it seems to run true.  I’ve caught quite a few fish with them.

@matt boyer Good stuff Matt! I’m usually  fishing plastic swimbaits but good to see people having success using different techniques and knowledge.

@HansB Found the threads from Dan and always appreciate learning about the situations and types of lures, and retrieves people like to use.

(*member formerly known as ‘nygnyrredsoxfan’)

Ditch Troll #340

On 10/14/2018 at 11:58 AM, CrashHard23 said:

The Jawbone bucktails do lose their hair over time but that doesn’t take away the fact that they still catch fish. OP was looking for the best cheap solution. I think Jawbone fits that description well. I have caught many fish with it and the hook is very strong. Sometimes you can get them at dick on clearance for a buck. Can’t beat that.

Sure you can. By paying more for one with a better hook that won’t lose its hair. 

2 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Sure you can. By paying more for one with a better hook that won’t lose its hair. 

You have to look at the OP. Maybe suggesting what we use, is not for the newbie. At a buck a piece it doesn't hurt so much in the learning curve...:eek:

Until few snapped hooks or straightened out one's could change the post into, what is the best...:)

Sorry to all for the, flap - jack post's...:laugh:

Lou T 

Edited by Lou T

At minimum something with a good hook to start. Heavier one from 1.5oz and up, finding one with a stout mustad hook isn't a problem, the problem is with the lighter ones like 1oz and below.  Usually they come with a much smaller light wire hooks.  Take a look at a 1oz Tin man or andrus jetty caster and you'll see what I mean by good hooks. 

The best I can come up with is to buy in bulk at winter shows. There is a Gentlemen from NJ who usually have a table of bucktails by the dozens. It isn't the fluffiest, but it has the right hooks and the hair doesn't fall out.  My go to if I ran out of Andrus.