scoobydoo

Best cheap bucktails?

81 posts in this topic

I realized just how much my bucktail stock had dwindled.  When I went out last night and only had up to .75 ouncers in white.

Who's making the best cheapos in the 1 to 2 ounce range.   I see so many that run 7$ which to me is laughable.

Damn.....I should really just spin up a few shouldn't I.

Where's Asrod when ya need em.

Don't buy cheap , I've had fish straighten the hooks on some , even on a 2 oz andrus , in the wash during a heaving storm .

Posted (edited)

What's the saying? 

Something like "Good ones aren't cheap and cheap ones aren't good"??

Having said that, I will be following this thread to see if anything comes up re BTs (or, heck, even good lead heads) with quality hooks, especially in the smaller (1 oz or less) sizes, at low(er?) prices.

Edited by Southcoastphil

Tackle direct has a spro assortment with about a dozen for 50 bucks.

Try Dan the tin man on our forum.

His jigs come with much more hair on them than most others.  He uses good hooks too.

See Dan @ Tinman Tackle, good quality items and a good guy.

1 person likes this

Thank you Salt Deficient and NJTramcar.  I'm surprised Scoobydoo is asking a question like this.  He's an astute fisherman and tackle aficionado and he is familiar with my work.  I know because I've had the pleasure of meeting him.  

Cheap and good should never come together in the same sentence.  However I will stack mine up against anyone else's good quality price wise.

1 person likes this

S&s. Don’t be cheap. You don’t cheap out on camera/lighting/audio gear I bet.. :)

When my supply got low last year I bought a large unfished lot for relatively cheap on the buy & sell page here.

Andrus and Dan Tinman are good. Don’t buy Tsunami brand , they look good and are a little cheaper but their hair falls out quickly. Stick with quality Andrus or Tinman

1 person likes this

15 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

$5 Andrus has good hooks.  Can't go wrong with those.

Can't go wrong. Best commercial bucktail.

Posted (edited)

I look for big lots of them on bst .. when one comes up cheap I grab it .. lightly used / new .. no problem. 

Last lot I grabbed was like 15 bucks mostly new but about 5-6 used for 30$  keeps my stockpile up .. I get the shakes when I get down to like 3-4 of a certain size left 

Edited by Wire For Fire