natsgrampy

Not everyone at the canal is a jerk.

21 posts in this topic

Might depend on how you'd interpret this note to the rules which is posted: "The practice of high-grading, whereby legal sized striped bass are released in favor of larger fish caught subsequently is unlawful. Accordingly, it is also unlawful to keep a striped bass alive in water by attaching a line or chain to the fish (stringer), or placing it in a live well or holding car." 

I think I read about some very strict rule enforcement somewhere,  might have been about freshwater...I could see it enforced against a guy with an over the limit stringer of trout, claiming he was going to throw one back. Otherwise, I'm sure plenty return for legit catch and release. 

But, in this case one guy walked off the beach with two, ...and returned to fish some more with his two friends. Hopefully, the 3 of them didn't take more than 3 fish.  I was also hoping the Giants would win....and I know how that turned out....

I don't know where all this bad wrap about the canal is coming from. I've had nothing but nice times there. It's one of my favorite area's to fish, relax, walk around etc.  I do avoid the early morning low tide which seems to possibly be the only time there may be issues. Seems like the only tide and time of day the fish should be in the canal.

During the summer I met a retired gentleman named Dan.  He casted ~80% across the canal.  Impressive!  He struck me as one of the most delightful, polite and at the same time miserable having suffered the loss of his long time fishing buddy.   I told him I drove in from Western mass and my wife was attending a conference in Hyannis.   He paused a moment and said, "No offense, I don't mean to offend you, BUT THIS IS MY GD CANAL!"  

He gave me permission to continue fishing and proceeded to share much useful information. His buddy Dan, another local, joined the conversation and I learned even more.

On the ride home I wondered if locals referred to themselves as 'Dan'.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:23 AM, Giantshand said:

Good to hear it. I'm at your same level, ran into some nasty fishermen at the canal, in a pretty crowded situation, very dark night, many fish being caught, one claimed I cast across his line, but he was 30 yards upstream, had arrived after me, and was fishing from a small inlet on the beach behind me...I was wading. I apologized but have my doubts. Anyway, a group of 3 guys on my right were likely poaching stripers, as one them left with 2 large stripers, and came back 20 minutes later, when I caught a 30 inch keeper and got the hell out of there...I couldn't say for sure that they kept more than one each...but one guy walked out with two, and the rules say you can't keep fishing after keeping one...haven't been back there since.

It may have been a commercial fisherman on a commercial fishing day.

In general... If you see something, say something: 18006328075

On 10/12/2018 at 4:23 PM, Eddy Petch said:

On the ride home I wondered if locals referred to themselves as 'Dan'.

Maybe it's a Negan type of thing

I thought I might add a meaning to being a jerk means from another time

A jerk is a pull

A pull is a yank

An Yank is a good American