sbcbmx112

Perhaps more reason to crush barbs

50 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2018 at 6:28 AM, TLap21 said:

Barbless has better hook sets as well.  If you keep the rod bent, the barb is useless anyway.  

Fished with 8lb mono for juvenile California Halibut and spotted bay bass for years at the mouth of the San Diego River where it meets Ocean Beach. Went barbless for better penetration on the hookset with light mono and light drag and honestly,  didn't lose anymore fish than going with barb but definitely hooked more fish on the initial hookset. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I fish with my barbs, I don't want to miss anything. I fear getting a plug stuck on a rock, pulling on it and it shooting straight at me lol I have came close too many times :hooked:

Edited by ChronicAngler

Barbless and micro-barbed hooks have been available for fly fishing for over a decade.  Its about time that they're available in other angling disciplines.

I still wonder why most SW folks don't sharpen their hooks into a pyramidal shape, which provides three cutting edges, as opposed to the zero-cutting edges "pointed cone".

Posted (edited)

I spend a lot of my time fishing trying to catch stripers not losing them. I sacrifice a lot as a result which includes losing copious amounts of sleep. I don’t like going fishing and dropping fish because my tackle is not in 100% effective. So, I’m with Chronic Angler, I keep all the barbs on my hooks and use trebles on most plugs. Sometimes I’ll use a single dressed “J”hook like a siwash on the rear of a plug if the maker of manufacturer feels plug swims best with that hook configuration. Plus, when I am fishing I don’t know what size fish I’m going to catch? If I am catching little schoolies I try to get them in quickly and release them unharmed. You can do that pretty easily especially if you are using  a single hook ( barbed) bucktail which I’ll switch too if it seems that the fish in front of me are tiny bass. I also keep my hooks very  sharp . I think that is very important and most people don’t do it. I use the triangular method, cutting the point of hook in a pyramid shape for better penetration. Frankly , I don’t understand why some fisherman put single j hooks on a plug that is meant to have two or three trebles? And, why they crush the barbs off their hooks. One mistake on the anglers part may result in a lost fish. And,  that fish may be a once in a lifetime catch. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve
1 person likes this