sbcbmx112

Perhaps more reason to crush barbs

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

If the personal injury reason isn't enough it seems there is now solid evidence that going barbless (and using single hooks) could be beneficial to released fish.  According to a University of California Riverside study, the hole left in a fish's mouth after hook removal can hamper its ability to feed for species that use negative pressure to suck in prey.  I believe striped bass would fall into this style of feeding category and from personal experience have noticed a significant difference in size between a hole left from a barbed hook vs a barbless hook.

Mods:  are non-commercial links are ok?

https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2018/10/09/hook-injury-caused-catch-and-release-hampers-feeding-performance-fish

19 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Outside of very early spring micro fishing. 

No. 

I tend to agree, just thought it was an interesting read and while intuitive not something I had ever considered

In my experience as a commercial salmon troller (hook and line) on the west coast in the 70s, due to a change in regulations as stipulated by the Pacific Fisheries Management Council (PFMC) we were required to transition to barbless (minimum crushed flat barb) during specific months due to silver (Coho) salmon being the dominant species that populated the waters I fished.

At the time, the populations of Coho salmon were on the decline and the gear change regulations were put in place to help preserve the dwindling population. Based on my experience, I believe fish caught with a barbless hook sustained far less trauma than those taken with a standard barbed hook. In the case of undersized fish being caught fish which would be released, barbed hook caught fish almost always required the fish be brought into the boat before release. Many were thrown back in the water dead. Normally those taken with barbless hook required only a shake at the back of the boat and they were free and on their way. How that translates into survival rates, I can only assume those experiencing less trauma had a better chance of survival. Without question, I caught less fish using barbless hooks. The reg change to barbless hooks for commercial trollers was VERY unpopular with the fishing crowd but continued until commercial salmon fishing was finally closed all together.

7 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

If the personal injury reason isn't enough it seems there is now solid evidence that going barbless (and using single hooks) could be beneficial to released fish.  According to a University of California Riverside study, the hole left in a fish's mouth after hook removal can hamper its ability to feed for species that use negative pressure to suck in prey.  I believe striped bass would fall into this style of feeding category and from personal experience have noticed a significant difference in size between a hole left from a barbed hook vs a barbless hook.

Mods:  are non-commercial links are ok?

https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2018/10/09/hook-injury-caused-catch-and-release-hampers-feeding-performance-fish

100% agree..every hook in my bag has a crushed barb.

Been fishing barbless for over 30 years.So what if I lose a fish now and then? It's my fault for letting any slack get in the line during the fight.I'd rather lose a few fish than wreck a fishes mouth or gills,esp an undersized one.Also makes getting it out of yourself a lot easier.An example for me was last summer when I was pulling a 5/0 worm hook to tighten a knot and it slipped and went through my fingerprint on my L middle finger,hit the nail and went out the tip just under the nail.I can't imagine trying to extract that w/ a barb on it...

I crush all barbs as well and occasionally I lose a fish but not often. I fish with guys who keep the barbs and they don’t seem to land more fish. 

Barbless hooks are 10x easier to remove whether it’s deep in a fishs mouth or buried in your finger.

It has to improve released fish survival rate and based on how the Striped bass fishing has declined, I’m all for doing whatever possible to keep more fish around.

Plugs and flies are all barbless for me.

Some plugs still require treble to function properly but most are single hooks.

I get better hook up and landing success with Mustad Kaijuun singles than VMC In-lines...

^..^

10 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Been fishing barbless for over 30 years.So what if I lose a fish now and then? It's my fault for letting any slack get in the line during the fight.I'd rather lose a few fish than wreck a fishes mouth or gills,esp an undersized one.Also makes getting it out of yourself a lot easier.An example for me was last summer when I was pulling a 5/0 worm hook to tighten a knot and it slipped and went through my fingerprint on my L middle finger,hit the nail and went out the tip just under the nail.I can't imagine trying to extract that w/ a barb on it...

Wow, SnS, feel that pain. Has happened to me as well. All hooks now that I use, whether fly or spin have crushed barbs, and, as you said,so what if I lose a fish? 

On 10/10/2018 at 3:33 PM, HugeDinghy said:

Outside of very early spring micro fishing. 

No. 

Yup .. I like a flesh grabbing meat hook of a barb .. a holes a hole ... 

12 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Been fishing barbless for over 30 years. So what if I lose a fish now and then? It's my fault for letting any slack get in the line during the fight.I'd rather lose a few fish than wreck a fishes mouth or gills,esp an undersized one.Also makes getting it out of yourself a lot easier...

:th:. But I'm not even sure I lose more fish with barbless hooks. If I do lose more during fights, I bet it still evens out...because barbless hooks penetrate better. I know that with a few species with hard jaws, like larger landlocks, I hooked and landed a lot more once I pinched the barbs down on my streamers.

You ladies really have trouble with hook penetration, huh? Maybe have your husbands set the hook and hand you the rod, like you’re a 7 year old. You can probably get him to take the fish off the hook for you two :th:

Sandbar1 and TheKnot like this