Bantamfish118

Southern Fish in Long Island Waters

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I have been hearing reports of Cobia being caught from boats, jacks from the beach and 7  reports of tarpon being caught across Long Island. Smaller tropical fish are not uncommon as the currents bring them in and they hang close to structures, but can anyone confirm or add to these reports? Would be interesting to hear stories of these rumored tarpon catches/sightings.

Aren't cobia considered native?  They've been on the DEC's marine regulations for some time now.

I know there were some other invasive fish, like the lionfish.  Hadn't heard anything about jacks or tarpon, though they might be welcome additions (depending on what the environmental impact is).

Cobia are native. And the size the shad are these days they look like baby tarpon. Their is a lot more jacks and even some other tropical fish on the past few years. And I know of a couple of reds that have been caught. But tarpon I don’t think so. 

GarbageFish likes this

We were headed to Montauk three weeks ago from Greenport and I was in the aft facing seat with my friend Mark (who runs a charter out of Greenport) while our friend Rick and his buddy were in cockpit driving and facing forward.

We were about a mile past the Ruins with Gardiners Island to our South as we were heading East towards the Point when we saw two 4 foot plus slim profiled silver fish jump Mako like 5 to 6 feet out of the water.  Of course, Rick and his buddy who were staring East thought we were on crack when described what we saw....we were sure they were tarpon.

Fast forward a few hours and we are back at Rick’s dock in Greenport and when we described what we saw to his dock neighbor (a fly charter Captain), he told us there have been a handful of tarpon caught in nets off Gardiners this year.

Probably the coolest thing I’ve seen on water all year.....

There have been increasing ;numbers of large (over 3 pound) blue runners in the last couple of years.  I catch a lot of them while bucktailing dolphin off buoys and float, and have even trolled some large ones in open water.

Haven't caught a cobia yet, but a few, including one around 90, were weighed in at Long Island shops this year (I had a young guy who works at Causeway fish with me one day this summer and he told me that someone brought a good-sized cobia to weigh in there).

And a DEC biologist I know said that he saw a tarpon blast swimming blue crabs in Great South Bay this year.

So it seems that we are seeing increasing numbers of southern fish, in addition to the usual tropicals that drift up here as larvae, grow and are seen and sometimes seined in the bays during late summer.

Bantamfish118 likes this

2 mins ago, CWitek said:

There have been increasing ;numbers of large (over 3 pound) blue runners in the last couple of years.  I catch a lot of them while bucktailing dolphin off buoys and float, and have even trolled some large ones in open water.

Haven't caught a cobia yet, but a few, including one around 90, were weighed in at Long Island shops this year (I had a young guy who works at Causeway fish with me one day this summer and he told me that someone brought a good-sized cobia to weigh in there).

And a DEC biologist I know said that he saw a tarpon blast swimming blue crabs in Great South Bay this year.

So it seems that we are seeing increasing numbers of southern fish, in addition to the usual tropicals that drift up here as larvae, grow and are seen and sometimes seined in the bays during late summer.

I know their is an article about a dead tarpon found floating in Shinnecock Bay in 2016. Very interesting to find out that a DEC biologist saw one blowing up on crabs in the GSB!

Love it you see what happens when you protect your fishery’s. So much abundance of tarpon they are migrating all the way north. Would love to catch one sounds lovely. 

15 mins ago, hydraman said:

Love it you see what happens when you protect your fishery’s. So much abundance of tarpon they are migrating all the way north. Would love to catch one sounds lovely. 

I don't think there's any correlation to the population of tarpon, which were in greater numbers in years past and we didn't see many (any?) of them.

This probably has to more to do with the oceans warming and the gulfstream going a little out of whack.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

I don't think there's any correlation to the population of tarpon, which were in greater numbers in years past and we didn't see many (any?) of them.

This probably has to more to do with the oceans warming and the gulfstream going a little out of whack.

Yea I’m sure this is more realistic. But souther species have made runs up north in the past also let’s not forget. People used to get good drum fishing in Jersey and NY at one time. This includes black and redfish. If you look around lots of pictures out in the web. Yes tarpon have made a great comeback also so this might have some effect. It’s kind of hard to believe tarpon are all the way up north but anything is possible. Would love to see a picture. 

Edited by hydraman