DeltaHawk510

VS300 info needed

29 posts in this topic

Agree with the majority...(had the pleasure of fishing with this reel off the beach on a few occasions)...Yes...it's heavy....but not TOO heavy.

in my opinion, there's no better shark reel. Hands down. I secretly adored it. (And the ungodly capacity)

I have 500 yards of 50 lb momoi diamond braid on mine.  It’s great for when you are wading to the 2nd bar to chuck a big shark bait. 

I took several waves over my head today, reel completely underwater .  No worries. I managed to hook two large tarpon this morning . Both pulled the hook in tarpon fashion.  

1 person likes this

On 10/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, DZ said:

Not sure... but these reels came with a lifetime warranty so I would suspect VS in Oklahoma has to stock spare parts.  I would contact VS directly.

Bait fishing would be perfect for this model - big spool capacity for long casts.

Van Staal is the only one who can service the 300 N.C. it’s rounded in stead of hexagon shaped 

4 hours ago, Sergcusell said:

Van Staal is the only one who can service the 300 N.C. it’s rounded in stead of hexagon shaped 

I have a 250 with the round side plate and a found pretty good trick on how to unscrew it so that wont be an issue as long as there are seal kits for the 300

How old is the reel or how low is the ser.#, the real early reels didn't have an O ring side cover, had to use sealent to seal the side cover.

These reels were tanks, hard to kill. lf it fits your bill go for it.

12 hours ago, LB said:

How old is the reel or how low is the ser.#, the real early reels didn't have an O ring side cover, had to use sealent to seal the side cover.

These reels were tanks, hard to kill. lf it fits your bill go for it.

I have a vs150 gold ,,that the sidecover does not have the slot for oring, was odd at first, but sealent does the trick.

My 250 vs has the round sidecover and i was told it didnt had a oring but when i removed it found out it does. Now on the 300’s that im considering i dont know the serial numbers. All I know is one is made in China looks new and i think the price is fair. The other is made in us and has a few battle scars upgraded handle knob but i think is to pricy and the last one is a used US made with a few battle scars and has the hex screws on the side cover and also has no brand markings. 

l would go with the first or the last pick, they are the later of the bunch and would be easier to find parts if needed.

At one time late 90s VS would cut an Oring grove for you in the earlyer reels,  passing the plant going fishing l made a pit stop there after a phone call to VS, bring it in, went into the plant removed side withen 30 mim. reel back togetter, back on the road to go fishing that was service.

I have the newer made in China. It’s been a beast. Much smoother than the other VS I’ve owned . Took some dunks today . Managed a few small sharks with it.AECC13D7-7110-4BFA-9327-9AE267AA9932.jpeg.4455299c48baac277d74fb963ab7b9ec.jpeg

1 person likes this

Are you collecting them or going the fish them, China reels area lot smoother and your not paying collector prices for a newer reel,, a china 150 reel was up for sale, 6 months old box and all papers it and was as smooth as my Shimmanos, sold one of my US 150 reels to get it, was an even swap money wise $450.00. 

9 mins ago, LB said:

Are you collecting them or going the fish them, China reels area lot smoother and your not paying collector prices for a newer reel,, a china 150 reel was up for sale, 6 months old box and all papers it and was as smooth as my Shimmanos, sold one of my US 150 reels to get it, was an even swap money wise $450.00. 

Reel collecting!? Wait what!?

Nah, Im gonna  fish with It. 

Edited by DeltaHawk510