DeltaHawk510

VS300 info needed

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Im looking at the wts/wtb forum and Im interested in a vs 300. It looks new, price is great but it seems to not interest folks much. Is there something bad about this particular reel model? I would like some feedback so I can decide to purchase.

Thanks

LS

The 300 was the first reel released by VS.  It's bigger and heavier(28 ounces) than the more popular models 200 (21 ozs)  and 250 (22 ozs).

It also has the smallest line retrieve ratio at 30 inches per turn (200 - 33 inches, 250 36 inches) - IMO this makes it the perfect reel for a majority of striped bass applications which require the slowest of speeds.  Great for plugging and eeling.

I think it has fallen out of favor because of its sheer weight.  I used to fish a 300 coupled with a Lami GSB1321M which at one time was considered the penultimate combo for striped bass in the surf.  That outfit is now tough for me to cast any length of time as my stamina is not what it once was.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’d add that the VS300 is no longer offered by Van Staal as it was discontinued from it’s  reel line up a few years ago. As DZ stated the large size of this reel is a problem I think. Most guys prefer the lighter , smaller VS 200 or 250. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Thanks for the replies!!! I’m building a rod for bait fishing so casting is gonna be at minimum. Now how about service seal kits. Are those even made since this reel model is discontinued?

4 mins ago, DeltaHawk510 said:

Thanks for the replies!!! I’m building a rod for bait fishing so casting is gonna be at minimum. Now how about service seal kits. Are those even made since this reel model is discontinued?

Not sure... but these reels came with a lifetime warranty so I would suspect VS in Oklahoma has to stock spare parts.  I would contact VS directly.

Bait fishing would be perfect for this model - big spool capacity for long casts.

5 mins ago, DeltaHawk510 said:

You should be able to get them from VS. I know VS will still service the 300. 

2 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

You should be able to get them from VS. I know VS will still service the 300. 

Yep - I still get mine serviced.  They have tried to buy it back a few times because mine is a very old model.  I hate to give it up.

Ole Paint.jpg

22 mins ago, DZ said:

Yep - I still get mine serviced.  They have tried to buy it back a few times because mine is a very old model.  I hate to give it up.

Ole Paint.jpg

Thats a nice classic reel!!! I have the 250 and I love it. Whats yours worth if to you would put a price on it?

I have one I use for bait fishing . I picked it up off the bay when the Vsx came out . Got a great deal on a brand new one. 

I use it for sharks on a Daiwa 13 foot ballistic 35, 3 piece rod , balances great. 

Retrieve rate is slow , but it’s powerful , and has handled sharks to 8 feet.

59 mins ago, justafisher said:

I have one I use for bait fishing . I picked it up off the bay when the Vsx came out . Got a great deal on a brand new one. 

I use it for sharks on a Daiwa 13 foot ballistic 35, 3 piece rod , balances great. 

Retrieve rate is slow , but it’s powerful , and has handled sharks to 8 feet.

Man thanks for the feedback!!! That sounds good cause im planinng to put a bait rod and reel setup for the bay/surf. Im still working on my rod, its a 11ft fiberglass blank Sabre to be exact. Just havent had time to work on the blank. This reel sounds like is a beast when it comes to bringing big fish to your feet.

The trend these days is for lighter stronger set ups.  The VS300 is old, slow, heavy and still suffers from the line lay issues.

If you are actually fishing it you can do a lot better at less cost. If you collect old reels it may be worth it.

Unless you are getting one at a great price I would not bother.

The original vs reels were out just before braid (or before braid use was widespread). So, with mono the 300 made some sense and there was definitely a use for that. Now, no reason to have an almost 30oz reel that holds an ungodly amount of braid. 

4 hours ago, BassPD said:

Deff too big 

They are Deff not too big.  The 300 is what it is....it's a slow as dog **** power winch that holds a lot of braid. Some people fish in such ways that it fits the bill.