Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Borsig

Best line for building your own rigs?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Im looking to build a few drum rigs, drop rigs and carolina rigs of different sizes to help me learn to tie knots, etc.

What's good line for this? I have some berkely big game mono 60. Will also need something in the 30lb range. is the berkley big game mono ok for this or should I get something else? Like Fluoro?

Edited by Borsig

I use 80 leader material for hooks and regular 60 or 40 big game for everything else. i just tried a bunch of drum hooks using 80 mason.

I use Berkley Big Game for most leader and rig applications. Fluoro when albies are involved. Different strengths depending on what it's being used for. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

46 mins ago, Borsig said:

Is there a nice guide somewhere for making these? Im trying a few and copying a couple that I bought last weekend down in the OBX.

Just learn how to tie a uni (and double uni), clinch knot, and a palomar and youll be able to make whatever rig you would like.  Its great you made the decision to make em yourself...those pre-made rigs are usually junk.

As far as line, I generally dont care.  My local shops generally carry ande and/or triple fish.

I use mono 95% of the time, if im fishing for bluefin/yellowfin/albies ill switch over to flouro.

Edited by bbfish