D1fishr

Bail Bumper

9 posts in this topic

What's the trick to get the new rubber bail bumper in the older Penn Spinfisher 700/01/02? It feels a little oversize, and isn't cooperating like the 704/05. 

Posted (edited)

Keith, 

you saved the day. My 702 had an extremely generous amount of Penn green paint and decades of crud. I took a undersize drill bit, then went down a size, and mildly "honed" the bore with oil dressed 1500 grit paper wrapped on said bit. I then pushed it in with a punch and gave it a little help on the other side with a dental pick. Your advice and some patience worked like a charm. Thanks!

Edited by D1fishr

I do use a pin punch when i put them in. Its the same pin punch (1/16) that i use to remove the gear sleeve pins on conventional reels.

Roller is by Dave Morton of North Kingstown, RI.  What these reels lack is all made up in ruggedness and reliability. They are perfect at nothing but do everything well. I have the entire family, triplets in 711, down to the 713. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, handi2 said:

I do use a pin punch when i put them in. Its the same pin punch (1/16) that i use to remove the gear sleeve pins on conventional reels.

What he said.   The 700's are tanks and cheaper than the 704.  Just add the gold 704 spool for better drag and you are in like Flynn. Been fishing them since the 1960s, very cost effective after 58+ years.