Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 10 - Oct 17

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

I’m not taking junk as 20 pounds is the best I’ve done in the last month and a half in RI. 

But if someone told me that twenty beans would be a good fall fish, ten years ago, I would have laughed in their face. 

Fun day yesterday, put in about 6hrs in one location and walked out with a good fish. RI DEM drove out to where we were, got out and checked everyone for CRMC beach permits and left. Had a school of needlefish in front of us, snagged a few and gave them to a friend for the night bite. 

One thing that caught my attention was the lack of fishing boats out there on a Saturday after a storm in mid October. Just figured there would be an armada on the hunt at a this time of year.

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

I’m not taking junk as 20 pounds is the best I’ve done in the last month and a half in RI. 

But if someone told me that twenty beans would be a good fall fish, ten years ago, I would have laughed in their face. 

Agreed.... where are the 40" and above fish.  Had a good run of fish 32-38" but usually run into at least a few 40"+ fish each season.  I havent even seen one caught, or know of any friends who have caught one from shore  (outside the canal).

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Exactly. 

And a NW wind is not a bite killer. Not in the least. Is putting the wind at your back and being able to launch an eel or rigged sluggo  a detriment to catching?? I think not 

Edited by rbart

I haven’t broken 20#s since September but then again I haven’t thrown eels in 3+ years now so I’m sure I’ve missed a few pods. But again, I haven’t heard any whispers of a 40. Not 40 inches, 40#s. Someone should’ve stuck one at the popular spots by now. We’ve had the conditions for a while, but lack of big bait.... if someone’s into them and reading this good for you and stay on ‘em. Much respect.  For everyone else,  you can’t catch what isn’t there.  It’s the Fall so im not ruling anything out. Not holding my breath either. 

Here's a few from late summer, early Sept. I had a couple good stretches, but nothing over 25#s. That’s a size 13 boot and VS 250. Nothing even close to approaching 30, though. Up to this point, this might be the worst Fall run I’ve ever seen. 

FD5FE7CD-50CB-4198-8A8B-B852CCBBC938.jpeg

A608F1E0-BAD7-4A9C-8B81-CF5B1D01FF66.jpeg

0CDEE1F1-A7B8-46DE-AFB0-BF03E5B2BC9B.jpeg

A7670786-A876-4169-8A91-2D8BA57AA716.jpeg

I wonder about the fish of "size" caught in late Aug early Sept. Local Boatfish from summertime boat haunts moving in, onshore, bc of bait? (Peanuts Aug; mullet Sept) BI ledge fish moving inshore? Remnants of the CCB 'canal' schools which mysteriously disappeared from radar in last week of Aug? Other?

Edited by rst3
rbart likes this

1 min ago, rst3 said:

I wonder about the fish of "size" caught in late Aug early Sept. Local Boatfish from summertime haunts moving inshore bc of bait? BI ledge fish moving inshore? Remnants of the CCB 'canal' schools which mysteriously disappeared from radar in last week of Aug? Other?

That’s the mystery but I’m leaning more towards the former

Summer fish from 3 years ago. About 40+ fish ranging from 15 to low 40s in 4 night span.  Found the bait, found the fish in bath water. Completely lucked out. But you should have a shot at a fish like this in the summer and then multiple shots in the Fall IF you’re fishing hard and fishing the old patterns.  It just ain’t the same no more

B345CB44-B36D-493E-BA7A-8672FFF8709D.jpeg

Edited by rbart

As said above, NW can be (used to be) a great wind, again, as said above, it can let an eel boldly go where no eel has gone before. I (used) to love an NW in certain places. Not only does it put extra distance on the eel in some spots, but it flattens out the surf, which makes fishing an eel much easier. I was never one to get charged up over big water. Huge surf is great for bringing out your inner Hemingway and macho bs'ing and catching numbers of fish, but if I had to bet my life on catching a truly large fish, I'd want much calmer conditions.  

Catching big fish has become a crap shoot. Sometimes they shack up in your spots for a bit of the season some years, sometimes they don't. Luck matters more than ever these days. 

It's the north west. 

It's the full moon. 

Tide's are too big. 

Tide's are too small. 

Surf's too big. 

Surf's too flat. 

Water's too cold. 

Water's too warm. 

There's not enough bait. 

There's too much bait. 

You catch yourself making excuse after excuse, and your excuses are often opposites from another, and then you just have to be honest: it sucks, and there are not as many fish. Full stop. 

It doesn't matter which way the wind blows. It doesn't matter how hairy a Nor'easter. It doesn't matter how dark the night. It doesn't matter how perfect  the surf. It doesn't matter how much premo bait gets pushed in. 

None of that is going to spontaneously generate fish that don't exist anymore. 

rbart likes this

37 mins ago, bRichards said:

As said above, NW can be (used to be) a great wind, again, as said above, it can let an eel boldly go where no eel has gone before. I (used) to love an NW in certain places. Not only does it put extra distance on the eel in some spots, but it flattens out the surf, which makes fishing an eel much easier. I was never one to get charged up over big water. Huge surf is great for bringing out your inner Hemingway and macho bs'ing and catching numbers of fish, but if I had to bet my life on catching a truly large fish, I'd want much calmer conditions.  

Catching big fish has become a crap shoot. Sometimes they shack up in your spots for a bit of the season some years, sometimes they don't. Luck matters more than ever these days. 

It's the north west. 

It's the full moon. 

Tide's are too big. 

Tide's are too small. 

Surf's too big. 

Surf's too flat. 

Water's too cold. 

Water's too warm. 

There's not enough bait. 

There's too much bait. 

You catch yourself making excuse after excuse, and your excuses are often opposites from another, and then you just have to be honest: it sucks, and there are not as many fish. Full stop. 

It doesn't matter which way the wind blows. It doesn't matter how hairy a Nor'easter. It doesn't matter how dark the night. It doesn't matter how perfect  the surf. It doesn't matter how much premo bait gets pushed in. 

None of that is going to spontaneously generate fish that don't exist anymore. 

Spot on per usual

6 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Should also be noted that 10 years ago you had 10yrs less skill in catching. If guys used to catch when they sucked( im not sayin ..im just sayin..(me included btw)) but cant catch now that they're skilled-- there's a serious bass numbers problem

rbart likes this

10 mins ago, rst3 said:

Should also be noted that 10 years ago you had 10yrs less skill in catching. If guys used to catch when they sucked( im not sayin ..im just sayin..(me included btw)) but cant catch now that they're skilled-- there's a serious bass numbers problem

Another excellent point. 

Edited by rbart
gjq likes this

Seeing the same pattern as everyone else. Fished a few spots in the past two weeks and found fewer fish than expected. Did get into some sunrise schoolies, sunset gators, and a few big shad in the dark, but I fished hard in a few spots known to hold big fish and came away with a handful of dinks. Couldn't believe it one night when I fished a popular lighthouse next to a guy with eels and neither of us hooked up.

August/September saw a lot of good 20-40lb fish, but the fall is slow pickings.

rbart likes this