Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 10 - Oct 17

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, rbart said:

I’ve only been saying this word for word on here for 3 years now. Some folks balked at the notion of summer being the new Fall run. How’s this NM treating everyone?  

There’s significantly less fish inshore compared to 10 years ago. Those that are left move in Aug when the angle of the sun changes. They don’t care about water temps, they go where the bait is when they leave the Cape, and that bait happens to be offshore. The fish hug the backside of the islands and then ride the BI/MTK rips right to LI where they get on peanuts/pogies again.

If you don’t get on the remaining resident fish early you’re pretty much **** out of luck unless a storm intercepts them and pushes them in, but thats already happened multiple times this Fall. I haven’t heard any whispers of fish over 25#s from the surf which is absolutely pathetic for this time of year. I’m sure some people are on bigger fish, but most aren’t even close. 

Anyways, those fish over 25#s are already on LI and Jersey. There will be bait all over the place after this moon/storm, but the majority of those bigger fish have already passed us. The schoolie monster is calling for another late season push. I wouldn’t bank on that unless you’re chasing, well, schoolies. The sea herring and mackerel getting pushed in late doesn’t usually happen, it’s more of anomaly then anything.  

The sad reality is that there’s less fish,  and even less moving along the RI coastline,  so if you want to target big bass from shore in RI you need to adapt or take up albie fishing. And one more thing, nighttime isn’t always the right time.

I agree i fish hard end of Aug and Sept.  I had a very solid stretch over that time, nothing huge but way better then what i had seen all year.  And got to fish most of it without any company!:laugh:

2 hours ago, DZ said:

Finally had a good bite of decent sized bass last night but that heavy misty fog rolled in and cut it short - not because the fish left but because I had my glasses on and basically couldn't see as they fogged up.  It became dangerous wading in the dark.  Normally I put my contact lenses in but they were back at home - didn't expect pea soup this time of year.

That is the worst ... I too have glasses and there is nothing as bad as mist. Ruined the one night I traveled to Nauset Beach for some night fishing ... tried to walk the beach but was wiping my glasses every 15-20 seconds. If you don't have contacts there isn't anything I know of that can be done ...

I too wear glasses but at least I'm not blind if I remove them temporarily. Dense fog and high humidity are the worst. Didn't someone invent windshield wipers for glassses? :laugh:

That midday downpour today brought a few fish to pick at. Usual fare of ambitious 20"-25". Went to larger plugs to maybe pluck out some larger fish in the herd but size range was still the same. Could just plainly say, it was a good rainy day.

I accidentally posted this in the previous report thread so am re-posting here. It’s a good time to be fishing (much more room to move around and less company)

I’ve been watching weather, wind, and swell forecasts in anticipation of the storm’s effect on south coast surfcasting and decided mid incoming tide tonight should be perfect for a bowl I like to fish on incoming tide with heavier surf. Showed up at around 8 and was the only one there the whole time. Threw a sinking ss popper around: nothing. Spread my casts around with an SP minnow: a few dinks, the location of hits clued me into a better position on the rocks so I moved and put on a black bomber: a few less dinky schoolies (22-24”). Thought the strike zone for larger fish might be further into the bowl and a bigger presentation might help so I put on a black ss bottle swimmer to get out there and really dig into the surf, 1st cast 35”. A few similar sized fish later and the lightning rolled in and I beat feet. A friend of mine asked me for fish so I kept the first keeper I got.

D1BF2AA9-7B1E-4A6B-A00C-F1083A507F89.jpeg

E57E342B-C500-4C44-B870-D4C39C9ED0B3.jpeg

Nice, the tight schools of that size fish were in my spots a week ago and then poof they dissappeared.  Good report, but seriously Pabs blue ribbon beer? I didnt think anyone under 70 actually drank that. :laugh:

On 10/11/2018 at 1:01 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

That is the worst ... I too have glasses and there is nothing as bad as mist. Ruined the one night I traveled to Nauset Beach for some night fishing ... tried to walk the beach but was wiping my glasses every 15-20 seconds. If you don't have contacts there isn't anything I know of that can be done ...

I recently got PRK surgery on both eyes, and it was best life decision I’ve ever made. It was getting boarderline unsafe out on the rocks, my glasses would get wet, fogged, or worse get knocked off by a wave, i highly highly recommend PRK or lasik if your going to continue in this sport. It’s been awesome with 20/15 vision fishing for Albies, I have been able to sight so much more on the beach, water, horizon ect.    

16 hours ago, Kooky said:

Nice, the tight schools of that size fish were in my spots a week ago and then poof they dissappeared.  Good report, but seriously Pabs blue ribbon beer? I didnt think anyone under 70 actually drank that. :laugh:

Thanks, and good eye Kooky haha. I usually go straight for double IPA’s but when hand eye coordination and sharp knives are involved I go for a good ole Pabst. My cheap lighter beer of choice since before the government allowed me to indulge. Sharp knives + strong beer = (see below) Tried to hydrogen peroxide and electrical tape it, no dice. Needed stitches. Fun times

74FB7D06-9757-443B-A131-89A5AF95A17A.jpeg

15 hours ago, Dreamland said:

Nice fish, great account of the action too.  Those bottle darters dig in so nicely when there is wind and surf.  Thumbs up on the olive oil too.

Another good eye, California olive oil is great. It’s fresher than imports, supports US farms, and you don’t have to worry about being scammed by importers.

2 hours ago, rwilhelm said:

Was slow last night for me.  Got one big blue that was it.  I never do well with NW winds.  

Hate big NW wind unless right after a big Nor Easter. It’s a bite killer

Wasn't in the ocean state, but got one small keeper this morning. Only hit of the AM. Blaming it all on that **** NW wind, since I can't blame the full moon yet. :hooked:

Got skunked on the NW wind yesterday night too, couldn’t get out tonight but I’m going to try to fish some outgoing flow at a breachway tomorrow night.