Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 10 - Oct 17

50 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity that could benefit those you use the RI forum.

The purpose is to blend together all reports in a portal so they are easy to access into one file. There's been so  much good input shared here. Thanks for your contributions.

Over 5 hours casting last evening without a bumb. Saw seals at almost every spot I checked in the afternoon. I think these big grey seals are keeping the bass in deeper less accessible water to beach fishermen. Heading to so co tomorrow. Go figure, never thought you would need to leave block to catch bass. 

End of August and through most of sept we were rolling, big schools of bait and agressive fish in good numbers of all sizes. Thought this fall run might be great, October has really seen a slow down, only small pods of bait, and smaller picky fish. 

On a positive note the rivers and ponds are stacked w bait of all sizes. But the timing of them dropping out when fish are around is a roll of the dice.

has anyone seen snapper blues? Seem very absent this year. Same  with any blues but snappers are generally more reliable.

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

has anyone seen snapper blues? Seem very absent this year. Same  with any blues but snappers are generally more reliable.

Saw a small school pop up at the Jtown bridge monday morn. Literally looked like 10-20 fish that ripped around for bout 8 seconds. Only fish we saw all day. 

On Monday I saw False Albacore come halfway up a certain breachway.  I have never seen that before although I rarely fish the breachways.

10 mins ago, splions said:

On Monday I saw False Albacore come halfway up a certain breachway.  I have never seen that before although I rarely fish the breachways.

They were up there all the way past the bridge a bunch last week.

I've seen it often over the years but this is the longest, most sustained amount inside. They set up in there on tiny anchovies. Almost impossible to hook.

You could see them down deep, green flashes as they turned on their sides to grab bait near the bottom. Looked like trout nymphing or stripers catching shrimp.

Most of the time they weren't showing, everyone thought they would leave and come back. Actually they were right there the whole time.

Although frustrating (after working the fish for a hour, a guy I'm not fond of boldly and rudely stepped in front of me, and hooked the only fish despite me and another guy shouting at him), it was really cool to see. The absolute worst was for my son who knew he wouldn't be back, had to watch silent over his shoulder as we drove away from breaking fish.

4 hours ago, Kooky said:

End of August and through most of sept we were rolling, big schools of bait and agressive fish in good numbers of all sizes. Thought this fall run might be great, October has really seen a slow down, only small pods of bait, and smaller picky fish. 

On a positive note the rivers and ponds are stacked w bait of all sizes. But the timing of them dropping out when fish are around is a roll of the dice.

All I was catching this morning. A bunch of 14" cookie cutter blues. 

Remember seeing bonito repeatedly run inside the breachways up and down in Sept some 20 years ago. They'd go well into the salt ponds too. Haven't seen that in quite a while.

6 hours ago, mikez2 said:

They were up there all the way past the bridge a bunch last week.

I've seen it often over the years but this is the longest, most sustained amount inside. They set up in there on tiny anchovies. Almost impossible to hook.

You could see them down deep, green flashes as they turned on their sides to grab bait near the bottom. Looked like trout nymphing or stripers catching shrimp.

Most of the time they weren't showing, everyone thought they would leave and come back. Actually they were right there the whole time.

Although frustrating (after working the fish for a hour, a guy I'm not fond of boldly and rudely stepped in front of me, and hooked the only fish despite me and another guy shouting at him), it was really cool to see. The absolute worst was for my son who knew he wouldn't be back, had to watch silent over his shoulder as we drove away from breaking fish.

It was not that breachway.  :howdy:

I was using lures more for stripers and blues.  Switched over to epoxy jigs but they were focused in on what they were chasing.  It was funny how I was surrounded by others within minutes of seeing those fish...kinda like flys on ****  :laugh:

I got a few more casts at them and they headed back out the breachway.  No one caught any...just a few unlucky snags of the bottom.

I assume you were in a boat, Amazing you didn't get rammed, guys are so focused on the albie breaks and not the boat traffic nearby.  :kook:

47 mins ago, splions said:

It was not that breachway.  :howdy:

I was using lures more for stripers and blues.  Switched over to epoxy jigs but they were focused in on what they were chasing.  It was funny how I was surrounded by others within minutes of seeing those fish...kinda like flys on ****  :laugh:

I got a few more casts at them and they headed back out the breachway.  No one caught any...just a few unlucky snags of the bottom.

Ah, interesting. 

So they were doing it in more than one place at the same time.

I do so love the visuals when they come inside but they are usually at peak pickiness.

I rarely miss my flyrod any more and my shoulder never misses it all - I didn't even bring it this Fall - but there just isn't a good way to get them on metal when they eat the tiny anchovies. 

I watched the fish swim up and take the other guy's fly after ignoring every metal and rubber I tossed.

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Kooky said:

I’ve only been saying this word for word on here for 3 years now. Some folks balked at the notion of summer being the new Fall run. How’s this NM treating everyone?  

There’s significantly less fish inshore compared to 10 years ago. Those that are left move in Aug when the angle of the sun changes. They don’t care about water temps, they go where the bait is when they leave the Cape, and that bait happens to be offshore. The fish hug the backside of the islands and then ride the BI/MTK rips right to LI where they get on peanuts/pogies again.

If you don’t get on the remaining resident fish early you’re pretty much **** out of luck unless a storm intercepts them and pushes them in, but thats already happened multiple times this Fall. I haven’t heard any whispers of fish over 25#s from the surf which is absolutely pathetic for this time of year. I’m sure some people are on bigger fish, but most aren’t even close. 

Anyways, those fish over 25#s are already on LI and Jersey. There will be bait all over the place after this moon/storm, but the majority of those bigger fish have already passed us. The schoolie monster is calling for another late season push. I wouldn’t bank on that unless you’re chasing, well, schoolies. The sea herring and mackerel getting pushed in late doesn’t usually happen, it’s more of anomaly then anything.  

The sad reality is that there’s less fish,  and even less moving along the RI coastline,  so if you want to target big bass from shore in RI you need to adapt or take up albie fishing. And one more thing, nighttime isn’t always the right time.

Edited by rbart
1 person likes this

Saw a guy at a breachway on outgoing pick off a schoolie with a fly rod midday but after 4hrs of skunk it was time to move on.The bite turned on nicely in my afternoon spot when that pea soup heavy fog rolled in. Switched to dark top water plugs and picked off a some quality fish to end the evening. 

Finally had a good bite of decent sized bass last night but that heavy misty fog rolled in and cut it short - not because the fish left but because I had my glasses on and basically couldn't see as they fogged up.  It became dangerous wading in the dark.  Normally I put my contact lenses in but they were back at home - didn't expect pea soup this time of year.