jimmythe bee

E Bikes for the Beach

19 posts in this topic

I've been seeing a bunch of these fatty tired E bikes everywhere I go, many are priced $1500 and up but I'd like to find a decent one for $500 or under.

Is this an impossible dream?      PS. used is not an option for me,too risky imo

Impossible dream. While they are available in the $1500-$1700 range they weigh a ton. The really good ones are lighter and start at $5K. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent human powered fat bike for $500. They do exist but again, the cheaper ones are very heavy. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

For $500 you won’t find an electric bike unless It’s a cheaper one, and or used. You could however build one yourself within that price range, possibly if you have a bike already to use.

I was was looking into building one myself some years back, actually nowadays tho I’m more interested in these electric skateboards, now those seem badass. Anyways, There’s kits available all over online to build electric bikes. Do a google search, and look on eBay.  On eBay I see kits which are in the 2-300 dollar range.

Edited by MattieG

As far as price the motors aren't bad but Lithium Ion batteries are expensive.

I had an old mountain bike I put a motor and battery on.

Direct Drive 1500w rear Motor kit was $300,battery was $700 (60v 30ah)

1 hour ago, cdsleeve said:

As far as price the motors aren't bad but Lithium Ion batteries are expensive.

I had an old mountain bike I put a motor and battery on.

Direct Drive 1500w rear Motor kit was $300,battery was $700 (60v 30ah)

that must have been very fast, most bikes are below the 750w motor for now,and our precious govt has put speed limitations on them

I got it up to 40mph for a short burst just to see how fast it will go.

That pulls to many amps/watts so I don't go full throttle.

It cruises good around 25mph, at that speed it pulls 11 to 12 amps and will go for 35-40 miles without pedaling.

With pedal assist it will go farther depending on many factors like wind/hills etc.

Been messing with electric bikes since 2001 and never any problems with the cops.

42 mins ago, cdsleeve said:

I got it up to 40mph for a short burst just to see how fast it will go.

That pulls to many amps/watts so I don't go full throttle.

It cruises good around 25mph, at that speed it pulls 11 to 12 amps and will go for 35-40 miles without pedaling.

With pedal assist it will go farther depending on many factors like wind/hills etc.

Been messing with electric bikes since 2001 and never any problems with the cops.

Can i ask you some questions about building the bike, and not buying one? Is it ok to pm you? 

Had one roll past me last week on the beach. All black red pinstripe fat fenders pair of black rods sticking forward like 50 cals leather surf bag hangin off the  back of the seat looked like an old school Harley (1913?).. Dude looked serious like a Pagan. Absolutely awsome.

i bought one a few years ago, 550 watt. I put semi fat tires on it and it rides a lot better, but would be useless on the beaches i travel. However a 2 wheel drive true fat tire bike would be awsome.

I have wanted to build one, but kit choices for 2wd are limited. The 2wd fat bikes i have found for sale start around 3500 and the ones i m interested in are closer to 5k. Dont want one that much.

Over the last few years the motor and battery technology is rapidly advancing, just like it was with computers and cell phones, so a used one is like buying last weeks fish.... 

Saw a guy riding his beach cart a few months back. Had motors on two wheels and steered by throttle sitting on cooler. He had three of what looked like lawnmower/wheelchair batteries on it.  

Recently priced some of the ebike batteries, wow, even the Chinese knock offs were over $200 with the ones from luna pushing 4-5

Well. I've been riding beaches now for two decades. Building your own bike is probably the way to go. But your budget will not get you corrosion resistant components and on a beach are going to get constant saltwater related rust issues.

Unfortunately aluminum framed bikes are not really good for hauling any kind of weight.

The key to navigating a beach is absolutely to travel light , perhaps a surf rod and a surf belt with a bazooka tube & a pouch for Tins, or a fly rod, a homemade shoulder box for all your flies and a stripping basket.

Riding a beach is hard work if you go with pedal assist only. An e-bike is neat but all of the components really have to be considered and thought through otherwise you'll be rusting out pretty quick.

The right tires are super important and you also want to be able to run them tubeless which means customizing the rim width built up tape and periodic injections of tubeless sealant into the tires.  a good set of sand tires makes an absolutely huge difference.

I can't even imagine building a bike for 500 bucks that would last let alone doing an e-bike maybe it's possible but wow. 

If you want to build a bike  the problem is finding a frame that will fit a fat tire. The spacing required is really specialty. 

irregardless of whatever you build maintenance is key. treat the bike even better than the most expensive reel you can possibly think of. Rinse it with fresh water and then lubricate it at all the key points.

keeping the chain from completely rusting out as just an everyday issue you have to stay on top of it.

I use my fat bike to fish fresh water spots I ride a lot of train tracks I hunt with my bike too. People don't realize that these bikes are virtually silent when they're in the woods and you can really get moving. I am constantly spooking deer and bears So I keep a gun moon right on the bike when I'm in the forest. I also carry a sidearm.

Beach fishing is a lot more leisurely an e-bike would be phenomenal for covering vast expanses of sand. What is kept most people from doing this up till the last few years is that it's really hard to Pedal in sand it's quite a workout.

I do not own an e-bike all of my fatties are powered by me.  however I absolutely see the benefit and I think I'll be really cool if you could come up with something that is corrosion-resistant and that holds up pretty well over the course of a fishing season. It's definitely the way to go to get down into spots that are far away or hard to get to.

Without a motor I'm good for 5 to 10 miles of beach tops. With a motor I could definitely see the benefit.

the other thing you have to think about is how are you going to get the bike to and from the beach so you're going to need a bike rack. I suppose you could make one of these two or just throw the bike in a pickup truck.

most racks will not fit a fat bike. I have experimented quite a bit with racks and I have found One Up USA to be 100% Superior to all other racks

I have literally had bikes fall off a moving vehicle thanks to Thule racks which are horrendous. most racks that you see in bike shops are made out of plastic components and they have rubber straps and all that kind of crap Not what you want. All you want is a heavy duty aluminum rack. something that locks to the vehicle and something that locks the bike to the vehicle.

What you have to consider is an e-bike is even a lot more valuable than irregular fat bike so security becomes a big issue the rack pictured on the back of my Denali is a two bike rack but with two add-on kits I can easily make it a 4 bike rack. 

I have built a couple dozen of these things they can run about $1,000 for a 3 bike configuration well worth it.

I actually modified a Thule rack that  is okay for one bike so if you end up building a bike you could p.m. me and I'll sell it to you dirt cheap it will work reliably.

7213.jpeg.069b6995be93c7a0bffc6106b4df9cd9.jpeg

7228.jpeg.7b38e163248d9d7c7651bbae50af0e49.jpeg19510.jpeg.c4bab1ad21a77350b87d58edae43dea9.jpeg13711.jpeg.b52e1a2349126c2c9b9371c43d263d7c.jpegCart.png.86fcb2b5ba4431fdc36c3886fbc47fb0.png

https://www.amazon.com/ECOTRIC-Folding-Electric-Mountain-Bicycles/dp/B07CPFRW4T/B07DXGT2FV?ref=dp_vse_ibvc0

i'm looking at this Ecotric  20"  on amazon---it's $860 bucks, if money was no object,,,  I like the Radmini @ 1600 smackers :rav:

i'm wondering if this thing will propel me down the beach , i'm 225lbs and figure 25lbs of gear.

The bike is a folding model, will that hinge be strong enough or with it fail---that question haunts me  :laugh:

Edited by jimmythe bee