kgtexas

Anyfish Anywhere (AFAW) US Rod Dealer

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Does anyone know of an AFAW dealer in the US? I've searched high and low and the only info I'm able to come up with is 10 years old. Contact information appreciated if available. TIA.

Edited by kgtexas
spelling correction

Right now, due to my lack of US dealer info, I'm exchanging emails with Ian Scadding of AFAW in the UK. Ship costs are high, especially for just one rod so I'm trying to come up with a better option.

A question for you AFAW 11' Estuary 1-3oz rod users ... Will 1.5oz be sufficient to load the rod?

Is 100 yards a doable cast if paired with Daiwa 300 typeHD reel w/20lb braid and 1.5oz spoon/lead head swimbait?

1.5 oz is fine, I cast plugs and bucktails in that size all the time

The spool on the Lexa 300 HD is a little bit small so the RPMs would have to be very high, but with the right aerodynamic lure and properly oiled bearings I think it can be done. With just a bank sinker it can definitely be done.

43 mins ago, Lou T said:

I think Tommy Framer is selling them down in Carolina 

Thanks for that Lou. I had already checked with him and he no longer carries the AFAW line.

1 min ago, kgtexas said:

Thanks for that Lou. I had already checked with him and he no longer carries the AFAW line.

Look up steve austin in florida. He carries a rod called the Florida surf angler. I got a 12ft model from him 2 yrs ago and had it cut down to 11'6". Great rod for what I use it for in the cc canal. He used to be the importer of afaw rods. 

21 mins ago, gray gables said:

Look up steve austin in florida. He carries a rod called the Florida surf angler. I got a 12ft model from him 2 yrs ago and had it cut down to 11'6". Great rod for what I use it for in the cc canal. He used to be the importer of afaw rods. 

Thanks for the info.

I traded email with Steve yesterday and he no longer imports the AFAW line.

7 hours ago, Sudsy said:

1.5 oz is fine, I cast plugs and bucktails in that size all the time

The spool on the Lexa 300 HD is a little bit small so the RPMs would have to be very high, but with the right aerodynamic lure and properly oiled bearings I think it can be done. With just a bank sinker it can definitely be done.

Sudsy ... I believe I read an older post about you using the Lexa 300 on your Estuary rod. How has that worked out for you? I had considered an Akios 656 csm I think the model is but have moved towards the Daiwa.

30 mins ago, Khary23 said:

I wonder what shipping would be if we could get a bunch of people to order rods? 

Unless you really know the people, wouldn’t really be cost effective.

Everyone would have to live within driving distance and someone would need to pay for everything up front. What if something happens in transit. Leave it up to the person that paid to chase down the money?

$70 shipping for the rod from UK to Texas is not terrible and it comes to your front door!

6 mins ago, quan808 said:

Unless you really know the people, wouldn’t really be cost effective.

Everyone would have to live within driving distance and someone would need to pay for everything up front. What if something happens in transit. Leave it up to the person that paid to chase down the money?

$70 shipping for the rod from UK to Texas is not terrible and it comes to your front door!

With PayPal and Venmo it's quite easy to have everyone pay up front, but I agree that getting the rods to people after could be an issue. 

51 mins ago, Khary23 said:

I wonder what shipping would be if we could get a bunch of people to order rods? 

Here are copies of the emails I received from Ian Scadding at AFAW in the UK ...

On 10/9/2018 at 1:10 AM, "Ian Scadding" <ian@anyfishanywhere.com> wrote:

Hi Karl,

We can ship to the USA, but the costs are large due to the nature of what we make: logistics companies love small brown boxes, ours are long and thin and there costs the same to ship as about a dozen normal boxes.

BUT, given that the Estuary rod is only 11’ its not quite as bad as sending a 14’ rod!
Rod = £199.99
Shipping = £ 75
Total = £274.99 or about $350.00 USD
Its more than we would like, but given a rod is a rod, there not that much we can do.
However, what we have found is that if you have access to a UPS account, you can get it COLLECTED far cheaper than we can ship it. Same package, same journey, but its cheaper it YOU book it!

Might be worth looking into?
Kind regards
Ian & Jules
=====================================================
On 9 Oct 2018, at 15:03, karl guillory <kjg4350@hushmail.com> wrote:
Wow, ship costs are high but thanks for the UPS tip. Is the rod one piece or two?
===============================================================

Morning Karl,

Trust me when i say the actual cost to us is over three times that!
However, for the price we quoted we could send 10-12 rods!!!

Its the volumetric size of a box of rods, not the weight.
So one rod or a dozen, same price!
Kind regards
Ian & Jules