50 posts in this topic

Cortland makes needles for this purpose.

Second hitch is great idea, going to have to try that.

Edited by Rip-Line

19 hours ago, Rip-Line said:

This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing, I've never seen this technique before and I'll probably experiment on the next reel I spool.  The fly line connection is the only knot I really take serious because if my leader fails big deal I just tie on another fly etc. If the line knot fails as I experienced then my $80 line as well as my fishing day are gone. Although I do always carry a backup reel.

23 hours ago, Rip-Line said:

Cortland makes needles for this purpose.

Second hitch is great idea, going to have to try that.

The splicing tool is pretty neat, but it's ridiculously tiny, and easy to break/lose. Not to mention you can buy 4 packs of #2 wire for the same price as the tool. 

Also, there's a couple varieties of dacron that have a loose weave that's incredibly difficult to splice. The stuff that comes on redington's entry level outfits is a nightmare. SA also makes a dacron backing that isn't fun to splice (but you can do it). 

Local

I tried the gudebrod splicing tool and found for me it was too short.

A mate gave me a length of what I can only guess is piano,wire and that’s really good as it’s real long and easy to get inside the braid.

Sorry to ask but where can you buy the #2 wire. I am bound to lose my one piece sooner or later and ballsed without it.

I did try some electrical wire in a pinch once and it was exactally  that a pinch.

Mike

You can buy #2 wire on Amazon and other places.  Just search for "American Fishing Wire Single Strand".  Look for the 27 pound strength.  It is also good as a bobbin threader.

Ted

Splicing a loop in backing is the best way to form a loop & strongest , certain big game running lines I install a loop splice in HC braid this folds completely going thru guides. No issues ! I anchor this loop to fly line with a nail knot 10 # mono ! Add knot sense to fill in any gaps smooth connection ! 

6 hours ago, sms said:

Buy a thin guitar string. That’s what I’ve done.

That's what my thought was, I don't have wire but I have plenty of 10s for my guitars and I can save the high e string next time I change them.

U can purchase needles to complete these loops from Toro Tamer line company , they can do down to 30 HC braid !

Edited by Capt. Lou

You can use the single strand wire that they make bluefish leaders with.. I have one laying around some place and if I find it I will post the picture

wire.JPG

Edited by 27conch
image added

27 mins ago, 27conch said:

You can use the single strand wire that they make bluefish leaders with.. I have one laying around some place and if I find it I will post the picture

That's what I'm using. #2 malin single strand (coffee color). I think it's about 3$ a 25yd pack.

RipLine- hatch backing is an 8 carrier spectra line, I'm not saying there isn't someone out there that can do it, but you're better off with a legit hollow core like power pro hollow ace, JB1 hollow (icky to splice), or Cortland C16.

1 person likes this

I stopped drooling over the hollow braids when I tried the needle metod, it is sort of knitting. Works for all braids and is 100% and is also no knot.

Or, better to call it stitching.

it is described in here:

https://www.perhokalastajat.net/keskustelu/download/file.php?id=94668

The link described two ways of doing the same thing - a) each one individually and b) gathering the stitches on the needle and then pulling the tag end through all of them in one pull. Both ways end up with exact same result. Takes a bit of time (few minutes) and good light. I do these at home snd use 20+ passings.

On some braids, knots like bimini are only 50% of the breaking strength, whereas this is 100% (do not force the needle through, it should find a route essily, otherwise you can damage some fibers).