50 posts in this topic

Assuming that you are using dacron backing (30#) simply make a blink slice loop in the dacron.  It is hollow. Then either loop it to the fly line "loop to loop" or put a loop onto the end of your fly line with braided mono (buy a spool of Cortland for $20, will last you a LONG time) and then loop that to your backing.  Safe and secure.

I fish the Salmon river all the time, never had one fail. Albrights and other "knots" eventually fail if they go through the guides a lot.  I use albright for Powerpro to mono leader on my spinning rods but I change that after every outing.

Quinn

Posted (edited)

51 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Can’t argue against what happens in reality.

Its a funny old knot the Albright. I only got a bit wary of it when on pulling it up tight the tag end just kept on coming until it came apart. Maybe I tied it badly. 

Since then it been fine.

Have you tried these other knots for joining leader to running line. Is it the J knot or something similar. As I have temporarily put my spin gear away I never got around to trying some of these newer knots.

Mike

I’ve never gotten into knots like the FG. I suppose if I was pre-rigging for a trip that knot makes sense, but I don’t see a practical use in the field. I’ve watched some videos and it’s a bit time consuming, not to mention the slightest error can cause failure. I honestly don’t even use the Albright anymore, but rather the Alberto. All of my saltwater setups employ this knot, and as I said, it hasn’t failed once since I began hitching the braid to finish it. Occasionally I use a quad surgeon’s loop, but that’s typically with very light braid to leader applications. 

Edited by Seadogg

The albright just isn't an appropriate choice for a line/backing connection. You can incorporate a bimini (pointless) or slather it up in the adhesive of your choice, but it's still going to be a bad knot. It takes a whopping 20 seconds to splice a loop in dacron with a piece of #2 wire, and you'll have a connection with no tag that's stronger than the line itself. Over the course of the past decade I've probably rigged up a couple thousand reels, and I've never had a splice fail. Glad you got your line back.

Local66

So you make a spliced loop in your Dacron backing. You then loop to loop that spliced loop to the factory loop in your fly line running line.

mike

For the smoothest and smallest knot joining braid to mono look up the FG knot. Specifically there's a youtube video showing the FG knot with a Rizzuto finish that I use. The Rizzuto finish replaces half hitches to finish the knot. I've only seen this one mention of it in all the youtube videos out there - I think it's superior. It's intimidating to learn this knot but with a little practice it is actually quite quick to tie.

3 hours ago, Local66 said:

The albright just isn't an appropriate choice for a line/backing connection. You can incorporate a bimini (pointless) or slather it up in the adhesive of your choice, but it's still going to be a bad knot. It takes a whopping 20 seconds to splice a loop in dacron with a piece of #2 wire, and you'll have a connection with no tag that's stronger than the line itself. Over the course of the past decade I've probably rigged up a couple thousand reels, and I've never had a splice fail. Glad you got your line back.

exactly! blind splice loop is the only thing I would trust.No need for knots in your backing.

16 hours ago, Seadogg said:

The Albright will not fail if you finish it with a few half-hitches. Case closed. 

I usually do this not sure if I missed it this time

1 min ago, secampb1 said:

I usually do this not sure if I missed it this time

Perhaps. It’s hard to say exactly what went wrong. I’d just keep that in mind for the future. 

10 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Local66

So you make a spliced loop in your Dacron backing. You then loop to loop that spliced loop to the factory loop in your fly line running line.

mike

I'll put something together for you guys tonight.

1 person likes this

I’ve seen a video from a fly shop out west which recommends a triple surgeons in the backing with a loop large enough to fit the reel through which connects to the rear loop in the line via a doubled loop to loop connection. I have that on my 9wt - am I asking for trouble with that?  I’ve got a football-shaped (NFL not FIFA) dab of knot sense on there to help it through the guides.  

Unfortunately haven’t been anywhere close to getting into my backing yet...

I’ll see if I can post the video.

Edited by FlukUlele
Triple surgeons not double surgeons

40 mins ago, FlukUlele said:

I’ve seen a video from a fly shop out west which recommends a triple surgeons in the backing with a loop large enough to fit the reel through which connects to the rear loop in the line via a doubled loop to loop connection. I have that on my 9wt - am I asking for trouble with that?  I’ve got a football-shaped (NFL not FIFA) dab of knot sense on there to help it through the guides.  

Unfortunately haven’t been anywhere close to getting into my backing yet...

I’ll see if I can post the video.

A surgeons knot is not a knot that one would glue. As someone else said properly tied knot doesn’t need glue. A large knot could get hung up on your guides.

2 hours ago, Rip-Line said:

Thanks. The only difference between the video and my rigging is the 2nd hitch on the loop. It gives your connection more surface area, and reduces the chance of the connection damaging the loop. Aslo slims it down a tad.

20181010_215012_HDR.jpg

Local66

Ok I am a bit cheap but don’t fish for serious fish like Tarpon. Not yet but there is still time.

If I have a welded factory loop on the end of the fly  line running line  I loop that onto my backing which has a big enough loop to,pass over my reel.

I don’t do a reverse double,catch loop like the one Simon G shows in the RIO video for a backing loop.  I thought he did a very nice job explaining it.

When I do I will make it before putting backing onto the reel.

I make a simple multi turn spider hitch knot to make my loop.

Now,I have seen RIO’s way of doing the second catch I am going to,adopt it.

I do use double catch braided loops on the leader end of my fly lines.

Love the way it gets rid of a sticky up loop. It’s sad but I used to put a thread wrap,over mine to  flatten it down. I never thought of twiddling around with the big loop like that to pull the second catch right up,close.

But then I am cerebrally challanged .LOL

Great we can still learn useful new tricks. Bit of a buzz what.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver