50 posts in this topic

So I'm fighting a big King salmon a few days ago at the Salmon River in NY and I end up in my backing (third time in my backing on the trip) and the albright knot that I tied decides to give way.  I thought the fish just broke off but then realized I reeled in everything and there was no fly line.  I look up and see it being dragged down stream and luckily someone grabbed it and broke the fish off so I got the line back.  After an hour on the bank untangling and tying a new knot I was ready to go again but the memory was still fresh of almost losing it all.  I got to thinking that if that happened on a striper in the ocean then I'm not getting it back.  I've always used albright knots of at least 10 turns or more and have never had an issue but then again I don't end up in the backing much.  My question is for the lines that have a back end welded loop do you guys trust it more than something like a triple nail knot or an albright knot?  I'm thinking of redoing all of my larger reels with a bimini twist on the backing and a triple nail on the fly line to make a loop to loop.  Any thoughts?

BTW I landed about 20 big kings and hooked up about 60-70 times in 3 days so I was pretty pleased all things considered.

I tie the Allbright to welded loops. It is very strong! I believe you did leave too short tag to backing line and it did cause its failure?

Esa

I use a spider hitch loop on my backing and make my own 50lb  braided loops and attach these to my fly lines.  So far I have never had any failures..

I've had an Albright knot fail when the braid tag end slips out of the loop made by the leader. Once this happens the entire knot unravels. I suspect this is caused by a tag end that's too short or a knot that isn't properly cinched up. I saw a video of a modified Albright that addresses this, but I can't find the link right now, so I'll put up a crude drawing. The mod comes as a last step in tying the knot. After making all the wraps and passing the braid end through the loop of the leader, make two or three more turns of the braid through the leader loop before cinching the knot. With the knot tied that way, if the tag end of the braid slips out of the loop, there are two or three more turns of braid that will prevent the knot from unraveling. It's essential for this knot to be properly cinched down if it is to hold. I also use this last step with the Alberto knot.

5bbcfefd16a12_albrightknotmod.jpg.0f78adde2a57cfe95b0ae3860ae89c18.jpg

I bet my tag was too short on it and didn't even realize it.  The reinforced version seems like it would help though.  Thanks all for sharing

I am sure I read once in a book of knots that once a knot starts  to slip that a longer tag end is of no use. Even so I do not trim my own tag ends very short.

I have had in the past Albright knots fail but maybe that was down to the types of materials that the  lines were made from.

I remember pulling the knot tight and just watched it unravel . For a while I did not trust this knot. But have started to use it again with no probs. Well no probs in terms of my testing the knot. Never had a fish big enough to test the knot when the backing was in play. Sad that I know.

Some Guys tye good knots and some tye very bad ones of the same type.

The bad ones look bad.

Mike

5 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

I am sure I read once in a book of knots that once a knot starts  to slip that a longer tag end is of no use. Even so I do not trim my own tag ends very short.

I have had in the past Albright knots fail but maybe that was down to the types of materials that the  lines were made from.

I remember pulling the knot tight and just watched it unravel . For a while I did not trust this knot. But have started to use it again with no probs. Well no probs in terms of my testing the knot. Never had a fish big enough to test the knot when the backing was in play. Sad that I know.

Some Guys tye good knots and some tye very bad ones of the same type.

The bad ones look bad.

Mike

you make a good point about the materials because I use albright knots on my leader end and they work great.  I think the mono bites better on the fly line.  The backing material maybe just isn't good for it, IDK.  I just redid my primary reels with a bimini twist loop on the backing and a triple nailless nail knot to create a running line loop plus super glue to seal it.  If that fails then I think I need to buy better quality materials haha.

I don't know why you wouldn't do 50lb mono braided loop nailknotted to fly line attached to a bimini twist in your running line--not a surgeon's loop as that can snag on a guide and pop. 

Pretty amazing you got the fly line back. I've lost a line before--surgeon's loop snagging--sucks. Did not get it back. 

The Albright will not fail if you finish it with a few half-hitches. Case closed. 

2 hours ago, Seadogg said:

The Albright will not fail if you finish it with a few half-hitches. Case closed. 

Ayuh. Then coat it with Knot Sense.

7 hours ago, Seadogg said:

Seadogg.

I think that any knot that depends on a half hitch to make it work is not a great knot. The Albright if the two lines are compatible material wise is a very sound knot. If they are not then the half hitches are not going to do much I think.

No knot should need coating with anything if the design and tying of the knot is sound.

Mike

23 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Seadogg.

I think that any knot that depends on a half hitch to make it work is not a great knot. The Albright if the two lines are compatible material wise is a very sound knot. If they are not then the half hitches are not going to do much I think.

No knot should need coating with anything if the design and tying of the knot is sound.

Mike

Absolutely

Posted (edited)

26 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Seadogg.

Mike

I don’t know, man. In the past I’ve had Albright knots fail, not while fighting fish, but during casts, usually after hours of heaving plugs. I don’t use this knot in any fly fishing applications, but always when joining braid to mono leader with spinning or conventional gear. I fish pretty long leaders and must be able to reel the knot into the guides. After locking the knot with 2-3 half hitches (the braid, of course) it’s never failed again, and we’re talking years of almost daily use. The half hitches also serve another purpose, if only incidentally. They create a slight taper in the braid immediately above the doubled mono, which then covers the blunt end of the knot. I suppose I could picture some instances in which a particular line might not effectively hitch and prevent failure, but I’d be willing to bet a Dacron backing to fly line would do so just fine. Couple half hitches to finish the knot and you’re good to go. No shame, just a simple, effective means of  solving a potential problem. 

Edited by Seadogg

Can’t argue against what happens in reality.

Its a funny old knot the Albright. I only got a bit wary of it when on pulling it up tight the tag end just kept on coming until it came apart. Maybe I tied it badly. 

Since then it been fine.

Have you tried these other knots for joining leader to running line. Is it the J knot or something similar. As I have temporarily put my spin gear away I never got around to trying some of these newer knots.

Mike