r111

Is the verdict in on '19 Outbacks ?

80 posts in this topic

Got a question     Do you think after spending over $2500 dollars . That the owner should have DYI a newly purchased kayak. To prevent water getting in to hull by the gallon . Let’s face it >>>> side note I owned a 2017 Outback <<<< the hatch designs are not very good . What they are is convenient in manufacturing process . They are easy assemble quick and cheap put in  . Center rectangular hatch doesn’t leak , but all the rest do .  With that said why can’t Hobie make the effort to build a better hatch , or raise the front hatch so water can’t flood and channel water right in to hull . I am saying if where a boat coast guard would by up in hobbies rump DEEP lawyers would eating hobbies lunch dinner and ice cream 

2 hours ago, fourtogo said:

Got a question     Do you think after spending over $2500 dollars . That the owner should have DYI a newly purchased kayak. To prevent water getting in to hull by the gallon . Let’s face it >>>> side note I owned a 2017 Outback <<<< the hatch designs are not very good . What they are is convenient in manufacturing process . They are easy assemble quick and cheap put in  . Center rectangular hatch doesn’t leak , but all the rest do .  With that said why can’t Hobie make the effort to build a better hatch , or raise the front hatch so water can’t flood and channel water right in to hull . I am saying if where a boat coast guard would by up in hobbies rump DEEP lawyers would eating hobbies lunch dinner and ice cream 

Look at a real review from a local to you.

22 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Look at a real review from a local to you.

Rick a few mins off the beach isn’t 3-4 miles in open water . Are you saying this is just one kayak hull deal . Hatch issues are a known problem . 

31 mins ago, fourtogo said:

Rick a few mins off the beach isn’t 3-4 miles in open water . Are you saying this is just one kayak hull deal . Hatch issues are a known problem . 

Yep. 

Water getting in under those conditions I don't see as a problem. Its not a whitewater kayak.

The first video, 3-4 miles is international waters (imo you don't belong in a kayak) 8 miles is just stupid. Natural Selection is inevitable.

On 10/23/2018 at 5:07 AM, r111 said:

With Ob'19, he mentioned he had to pump out water 3 times on the way to the rigs . 

One thing about this video was that he was being towed out the rigs, not under his own propulsion.  I've towed kayak before and they tend to nose dive and not react like they do under normal circumstances.  I'm sure between the towing and the large cooler on the front any leak was exacerbated. 

22 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Yep. 

Water getting in under those conditions I don't see as a problem. Its not a whitewater kayak.

The first video, 3-4 miles is international waters (imo you don't belong in a kayak) 8 miles is just stupid. Natural Selection is inevitable.

Actually it’s 12 miles out for international waters for America. 

34 mins ago, fourtogo said:

Actually it’s 12 miles out for international waters for America. 

Sorry your right the law changed from three to twelve in the 80's. 

Announced to dealers today. We added a lid gasket to all 2019 Outback production.

LidGasket.JPG

For 2019 Outbacks built prior to this production change, we created a kit:

72020119 2019 Hobie Outback Front Hatch Gasket Kit. This is at NO Cost.

The kit will include instructions on how to install the gasket. We also have an instructional video that covers the installation. This video will also be accessible on the Outback product support page on Hobie.com on Friday.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we worked to solve this issue.

1 hour ago, mmiller said:

Announced to dealers today. We added a lid gasket to all 2019 Outback production.

LidGasket.JPG

Hmmmm. Looks familar

Screenshot_2018-11-28-14-06-43-1.png

2 hours ago, Craiger12 said:

How do those of us who already purchased the 2019 Outback get these hatch lids?

Contact your dealer. They can order and have at their shop or we will drop ship direct to you at no charge.