Is the verdict in on '19 Outbacks ?

Outside of oooohs and aaaaahs over the clever storage setup, prolly not much you can do w/o getting in trouble 

For example, concluding "you and the gear will absolutely get drenched in any kind of chop" ... not sure that would be well received ? 

Yeah, sounds like fun, some water in your face. Man up, it is  A WATER sport some say !

Riiiight, I sez, unless  it is the raw sewage on 100F day in Raritan Bay, or freezing water on 40F day in Dec around LIS

1 hour ago, r111 said:

Outside of oooohs and aaaaahs over the clever storage setup, prolly not much you can do w/o getting in trouble 

For example, concluding "you and the gear will absolutely get drenched in any kind of chop" ... not sure that would be well received ? 

Not sure what you're basing that on. Looking at various photos/videos of the '19 model on the water, it appears to have a normal water line. The narrower bow would probably cut through the chop pretty well, like a Revo. Compared to a PA14, any kayak will appear to be a wet ride, because PA is not really a kayak - it's a boat made of plastic.

Haven't seen the 2019 in the flesh, but regardless of model I'm not a fan of paying 2700 for any kayak (and that's before FF etc.) I bought a new 2017 this year for a lot less and am happy with it. I car top, so the twist and stow rudder is less hassle. I was attracted to all the shelf space on the older model. Everything is right there. The new recessed storage looks nice, but once you've mounted stuff on the rails, the storage is less accessible?

It's a ridiculously personal POV, and I'm sure entirely peripheral to going fishing, but the old model has a classic curvaceous beauty that isn't apparent in the new model. 

Initial musings. 

Girl got curves.

IMG_7557.jpg

The Angler's Culvert

I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the 2019 over the 2018. I have a 2014 now and want to upgrade. I like the storage options and two sets of scupper holes (I constantly have to take the fishfinder off with my current cart). I watched that MDLR Fishing video earlier this evening. That might actually be a deal breaker for me!!! I might as well get the 2018 model and just buy another cart so I can keep the livewell on. Getting wet is not a big deal, but a design that makes it easy for water to enter the hull is a problem for me.

Edited by Pma531

2 hours ago, Pma531 said:

I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the 2019 over the 2018. I have a 2014 now and want to upgrade. I like the storage options and two sets of scupper holes (I constantly have to take the fishfinder off with my current cart). I watched that MDLR Fishing video earlier this evening. That might actually be a deal breaker for me!!! I might as well get the 2018 model and just buy another cart so I can keep the livewell on. Getting wet is not a big deal, but a design that makes it easy for water to enter the hull is a problem for me.

..OR... find where the water is entering from and make a better seal (the hatch). Don't forget that full time YT'ers have been known to exaggerate a tad to get the OOOHs and AAAHs, I'm not saying that Mark did blow it out of proportion - he came across as being a straight shooter ... 2 years ago. 

It's a skinny water boat, turtle with it and lose everything in those very convenient storage recesses ... horses for courses.

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

A well known and very ez problem to address, with front hatches on Hobies. May I suggest $3 worth of pipe insulation foam sleeves ?

Another thing to do is to stuff the hull full/(w some) pool noodles - might save your life/kayak one day. Another $20 and may be 3lb of weight added.

For full disclosure, years ago, I turtled in my PA14  due to this very same issue - getting water in through the front hatch ... sure learned my lesson. 

With Ob'19, he mentioned he had to pump out water 3 times on the way to the rigs . 

So I understand in surf, he had punched through some waves and that's how water got in. But, how the heck was it still coming in laters, when he was well past the breakers and just bobbin in em giant swells y'all ?

Neat setup with the convoy being towed back under wind/electric power

That territory, 200' long surf zone + 8 mile one way ride to the rigs by Galveston, in any case, is Prof Salt's (look him up). Requires special ppl and special kayaks

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Hobie has already addressed the issue of front hatch leakage.  if you are worried about water intrusion through the front hatch in any Hobie, they have a strap designed to create a tight seal.

I have seen the new model, it has less free board than the old outback, but much higher than my revo 16. My complaint about other companies kayaks is that they have way to much freeboard and trade stability for it.  The front of the boat is designed like the revo to eliminate hull slap and improve the speed.

I plan on getting one for freshwater because I want a kayak I can stand in.  I'm guessing that open water guys will like the new outback better because of the improved speed and high weight capacity.  

Slappy the Bait Shop Boy

1 hour ago, Slappy said:

Sounds like Hobie has already addressed the issue of front hatch leakage.  if you are worried about water intrusion through the front hatch in any Hobie, they have a strap designed to create a tight seal.

I have seen the new model, it has less free board than the old outback, but much higher than my revo 16. My complaint about other companies kayaks is that they have way to much freeboard and trade stability for it.  The front of the boat is designed like the revo to eliminate hull slap and improve the speed.

I plan on getting one for freshwater because I want a kayak I can stand in.  I'm guessing that open water guys will like the new outback better because of the improved speed and high weight capacity.  

So basically it has less freeboard (therefore less wind effected), is faster, less hull slap, can carry more weight, has the option for easier standing, lots of well thought out storage .... $10 fix to solve the hatch leak issue .... wish it came out 4 weeks earlier than it did. Anyone want to swap their new model with an ‘18?

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.