Belmo

Hurricane Hysteria Thread: Matthew

Rate this topic

312 posts in this topic

17 mins ago, TimS said:

Amazing footage...terrifying ****...I’ve seen the beach in 90 mph winds - while a mess the water/sand didn’t have the same characteristics shown in that video. At 90 the waves still roll in and out - in that video the water doesn’t just stay in it pushes forward and piles vertically against stuff. That’s frightening and devastating. Water is heavy - it moves stuff, it crushes stuff. That video gives

me chills.

I had the same reaction, chills.

The combination of wind, water, and blowing sand and debris would make surviving very dicey. They are just relentless.

I knew a girl that lived through Andrew. She said she and her husband hunkered down in the bath tub with mattress pulled over them.

For 12 hours, all night.

She said it wasn't that bad, until the roof blew off, and the house just disassembled itself around them.

When the sun came up, and things calmed down, they emerged to a war zone. She said they had nothing but the tattered, soaked clothes they had on.

So they walked, walked for miles, until they found other people, and were able to escape the zone.

When you’re stuck in a situation like that you better have some survival skills and hopefully some supplies of food and water. Creating fire and building an emergency shelter become first priorities. Knowing basic first aid can save your or a loved ones life. A disaster can happen anywhere, anytime. Those who mock preparedness and survival skills are foolhardy. The it can’t happen to me mentality can be fatal. The false belief that someone or an entity like the government is going to be able to save you is prevalent in our society. You have got to be able to save yourself.

Part of being able to save yourself is in knowing when to flee. At times fleeing may not be possible, and you’d better be prepared. The skills of our forefathers, even our grandparents have been largely forgotten. Learn the skills. Fire, shelter, first aid, finding abd purifying water, navigation. Be in shape. Teach your kids. Boy Scouts are a great way to get the kids involved and learning these basic life skills. Have a good knife and a backup. Sometimes **** gets real, fast. The bubble that most ppl live in gets shattered, and they don’t know what to do or where to go.

That being said, I’ve got three very young children. I dislike the media’s endless hype machine dulling the potential seriousness of danger. However, I’m not putting my kids in a potential survival situation due to mistrust of information. I would flee early and get safe. Even a false alarm can be a learning teaching experience. It’s practice for when **** gets real.

This storm was forecast to run inland right up the coast over most of us. How many of you evacuated?

i evacuated once a day away and storm hit right where i went. Then your trapped in motel with power lines down everywhere.

these media channels take nws data and rebroadcast it. Now i go directly to nws, and here.

7 hours ago, dena said:

I had the same reaction, chills.

The combination of wind, water, and blowing sand and debris would make surviving very dicey. They are just relentless.

I knew a girl that lived through Andrew. She said she and her husband hunkered down in the bath tub with mattress pulled over them.

For 12 hours, all night.

She said it wasn't that bad, until the roof blew off, and the house just disassembled itself around them.

When the sun came up, and things calmed down, they emerged to a war zone. She said they had nothing but the tattered, soaked clothes they had on.

So they walked, walked for miles, until they found other people, and were able to escape the zone.

I spent all night sitting in a hall with redminnow between two mattresses, the eye of huricane hugo came over my house, I literally had water coming in in between the glass panes and the wood, I didnt loose my roof though

7 hours ago, Jdeadman66 said:

That being said, I’ve got three very young children. I dislike the media’s endless hype machine dulling the potential seriousness of danger. However, I’m not putting my kids in a potential survival situation due to mistrust of information. I would flee early and get safe. Even a false alarm can be a learning teaching experience. It’s practice for when **** gets real.

Good posts. It’s good to be prepared and have knowledge 

30 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

if you look at Noah and Mike's weather page, you can make an informed decision. 

If you had evacuated for florence, with all your animals, and tons of forecasts, would you have placed yourself in a worse position?

33 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Are you too stupid to figure out how to take them with you?? :huh: 

I have a bunch, so unless it's a dier emergency,  I'm not leaving