Hurricane Hysteria Thread: Matthew

Rate this topic

Belmo

19 mins ago, Reed422 said:

That Mexico beach area looks flattened. Was that by wind or flooding? If you say the storm surge is 13 feet that's like a ****in tsunami.

Water-   ABC had their weather woman in a condo for the storm- Video shows a beach front home there when the storm started- the eye wall came through and when she could finally see across the street the house was broken apart down the street. All she said she could see was the roof floating past. 

23 hours ago, Belmo said:

Yes. It's an incredibly shallow body of water. In Beautiful Swimmers, a timeless classic about the blue crab, William Warner goes into some depth (har!) on the subject. I think the average depth of the Chessy is something like 20 feet, or even a bit less.

17 feet, IIRC.

Though there are channels well over 100.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

20 mins ago, seadogface said:

I don't imagine they sell flood insurance in swamps.

They do: they sell it everywhere. That's one of the problems with the program: the only people who buy it are the ones who are most likely to use it. The insurance weenies like KoQ call this "adverse selection."

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

2 mins ago, Belmo said:

They do: they sell it everywhere. That's one of the problems with the program: the only people who buy it are the ones who are most likely to use it. The insurance weenies like KoQ call this "adverse selection."

and, it's to damn cheap, that's why my car insurance is so damn high!

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

4 mins ago, Belmo said:

of course they do.

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

and, it's to damn cheap, that's why my car insurance is so damn high!

I have neighbors that pay $400/year - I pay $3,600/year. Every year - even though this property built in 1920, before Sandy, had never had flood damage.  $3,600/year flood insurance for a home that had never had flood damage in the previous almost CENTURY. Same coverage as my neighbors - 900% more/year.

My lowest floor is at 9' elevation...not exactly a swamp....N'Orleans at something like 15 below sea level..that's a swamp :read: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

8 mins ago, TimS said:

I have neighbors that pay $400/year - I pay $3,600/year. Every year - even though this property built in 1920, before Sandy, had never had flood damage.  $3,600/year flood insurance for a home that had never had flood damage in the previous almost CENTURY. Same coverage as my neighbors - 900% more/year.

My lowest floor is at 9' elevation...not exactly a swamp....N'Orleans at something like 15 below sea level..that's a swamp :read: 

exactly,  you should start paying your fair share!!!!

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

17 hours ago, BOH said:

100% agreement for me is a stretch.  Naming snowstorms - stupid but whatever.  I just want to know if it's gonna snow and could care less if they want to name it.  I agree with the overblown coverage of many of these events and can see some logic in desensitizing, but with a hurricane I can't agree at all.  It's one thing for us a hundred mile inland to call BS, but if you're coastal and you see that monster coming at you for three days and with 24 hours remaining you know damn well you got a good chance it's gonna punch you in mouth and stay because you don't believe the radar then you made your choice.  Not gonna fault anyone for it, but if anyone in Panama City or Mexico beach decided to ride it out in their coastal home and bought it as a result - don't blame the news.

I agree. What are we talking about per coastal area, at most one or two evacuations a year? And many places much less than that?

Yeah, the forecasts are wrong a lot. And the weather / news reports exaggerate to drum up business.  But to me it's not a major inconvenience to seldom bug out for a few days in return for living near the ocean.  

I'll have mine on the rocks.

And I didn't have a choice, my mortgage company required us to get flood insurance. FEMA tells you how much to pay, it's not negotiable and you can't shop around.

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

11 mins ago, TimS said:

Living in Portsmouth on Aquidneck Island, RI we actually had Nationwide come out with that "wheeled" measuring device.  He walks down to the water, guesses at High Tide and measures back...something like 1100LF.  Nationwide won't insure (this may have changed) within 1000LF of mean high tide.  I told my rep (who's a pretty good dude) damn good thing "that's" where the water's gonna stop  :laugh:

This all based on maps from the 20's...in my case I went to Sheldon Whitehouse Senator's webpage for a reference before we even bought the empty lot.

Unbelievable how the system works...

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...

When the flood insurance on a little POS shore shack on a lagoon went from $1500 to over $5000 after sandy i said eff it and paid off the mortgage. All the value in this property is the waterfront lot and a flood won’t damage that.

2 hours ago, Belmo said:

The pictures and videos from that place are almost incomprehensible. It's scary as hell. Godspeed to everyone down there.

I felt more pity looking at Red’s feet. Is there something wrong with me? S T F U  Bello.

Edited by Wayne Tj

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

2 mins ago, TimS said:

And I didn't have a choice, my mortgage company required us to get flood insurance. FEMA tells you how much to pay, it's not negotiable and you can't shop around.

There are two primary factors that determine flood insurance. The first is the zone you're in (A, X, V, whatever), and the second is the lowest point where water can get into your building. There's another name for this, but for the sake of this discussion, I'll call this Point Z. There are other minor factors that go into your flood rates, but these are the two biggies. If your Point Z is high, your flood premiums will be lower; if your Point Z is lower, your flood premiums will be higher.

Where this gets tricky is that the Point Z for every house varies, and is determined on each house by a surveyor. Any house built after 1972 has to have the Point Z on file with the township, but for houses older than that, they can get very dodgy. I know for a fact (saw it firsthand) that in Jersey, before Sandy, it was common for surveyors, when assessing old houses, to file certificates with Bogus Point Z figures on them -- they did this because a higher Point Z resulted in lower flood premiums, lower flood premiums helped sell houses, and the surveyors worked for realtors. The system was rife with inaccuracies.

The feds have evidently tightened all this up since Sandy, especially in Jersey, but the system is still loaded with bad information. Your rates might be so much higher than your neighbors because you're in a different zone, or your BFE is different than your neighbor's; or it might just be that your Point Z is lower than your neighbors. A difference of just a few feet can have a GIANT impact on premiums: I saw one once where a 3-foot change in Point Z QUADRUPLED the pricing -- it can be that big a deal.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

10 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

I agree. What are we talking about per coastal area, at most one or two evacuations a year? And many places much less than that?

Yeah, the forecasts are wrong a lot. And the weather / news reports exaggerate to drum up business.  But to me it's not a major inconvenience to seldom bug out for a few days in return for living near the ocean.  

I saw a clip of Cantore almost take a 100mph 2x4 to the head....gotta admit I was rooting for the storm on that one.  The storm chasers are pretty cool to follow....the weather diva's are overdramatic tools and embarrasing to watch..  

It's not a ****ing woodpecker!