Borsig

Where to fish wihout a boat?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I dont have a boat, but would like to do some fishing in the area. I live north of yorktown.

Mouth of the York river? I see people fishing down past the naval weapon station on the parkway some.

Sandbridge?

Haven beach in matthews?

Any idea where good spots are? I know theres a pier in Gloucester point, but i've herd mixed things.

I have fished the Gloucester Pier with mixed success. You can also get pretty near some of the bridge pilings depending on your casting skills but you are not allowed to fish from the shore closest to them. 

The couple of spots on the parkway are worth checking out both Poley point and Sandy point. I have had better luck there chunking than casting.

There is also a pier in Yorktown but I've never fished there. 

First preference is whatever you can catch in the area you are fishing with a castnet. I know its a dying art but it is what the fish there are looking for. Fiddler crabs and sandfleas work well too especially for flounder. Jig from the piers or fish in the first trench from shore. 

Second choice would be shrimp or squid (which stays on the hook better). 

I live in Atlanta now but one of my brothers is a marine biologist, worked for VIMS and still lives in Williamsburg. I will ask him if he has any suggestions on local spots, But he has far too many boats so he may or may not have any shore based locations. 

You might investigate New Quarter Park. It borders Queens Creek and used to have some access to the creek and an older pier - at one time. Its off the parkway closer to Williamsburg - follow the signs for Queens Lake neighborhood. 

There are a ton of small trout and stripers right at Yorktown Beach right now. Walk down there and fish off the jetties with jigs and plastics. There are quite a few BIG stripers there too. Fish live eels or chunk bait at night off the jetties too. 

On 10/28/2018 at 9:42 AM, Matt7082 said:

There are a ton of small trout and stripers right at Yorktown Beach right now. Walk down there and fish off the jetties with jigs and plastics. There are quite a few BIG stripers there too. Fish live eels or chunk bait at night off the jetties too. 

On the YT side?

Dang. Is the colonial parkway good fishing? Thats like 15 min from my house. Really want to catch more around home. OI drive is getting long. Made thr round trip yesterday. What cunk bait are you using there? Surelet not mullet?

3 hours ago, Borsig said:

On the YT side?

Dang. Is the colonial parkway good fishing? Thats like 15 min from my house. Really want to catch more around home. OI drive is getting long. Made thr round trip yesterday. What cunk bait are you using there? Surelet not mullet?

Yorktown side. Matter of fact, I fished There last night. Tons of small bluefish, as many as you can catch! All long the shoreline under the bridge, and along the docks where all the lights are. 

I javent fished anywhere on the Pkwy, but I’m sure you can get some fish at the mouths of the couple of creeks along the road. 

What are you using for bait? or is it lures?

Bluefish usually destroy my gulps. Man I need to get out there but we're adopting a new dog today, so.....Be a bit

17 mins ago, Matt7082 said:

Yorktown side. Matter of fact, I fished There last night. Tons of small bluefish, as many as you can catch! All long the shoreline under the bridge, and along the docks where all the lights are. 

I javent fished anywhere on the Pkwy, but I’m sure you can get some fish at the mouths of the couple of creeks along the road. 

Small jigs are working well. The bluefish will eat anything. Just pick up a bag of zman baits in any color and youll he good to go. Smaller baits like 3”-4”. 

Fished out there last night. from the bridge edge (north) and the second jetty to the north. Not even a bite from 6-8pm and got cut off twice on snags (rocks?) on the bottom.

Didn't really seem like a good spot. Lots of snags? Should I use a lighter weight? Maybe the pier?