hydraman

Crazy

113 posts in this topic

Regarding gill-netting, I stood on the bluffs recently and watched a boat called the Jolly Rodger bring up nothing but small to mid-size blues.  In 20 minutes, not one striper.   Not one. 

15 hours ago, spiegs71 said:

Don’t worry someone will come along shortly and tell you that there is no issue with bass that they just are not where you are 

That would be Pakalo, he'll assure us his gillnet buddies are having a banner year

12 mins ago, Sandflee said:

That would be Pakalo, he'll assure us his gillnet buddies are having a banner year

Yea man I see his posts for years now. Even he has to realize this is not going to hold up much longer. He’s not a young guy and I don’t think he’s an idiot. People saw what happened in the 80’s I was a young lad at that time. 

My granpa was a fisherman in Greece and those water are mostly devoid of life. They tried to put regulations a little to late by that time. I remember as a kid the catches he would bring to port amazing. Last time I was on the island 5 years back most of the fisherman changed professions. Still a few of the kids I grew up with doing it took over fathers and grandfathers boat and operations. Talking to them it was sad to hear what happened. This is what’s going to happen to pakalo’s buddys it’s inevitable. Soon they’ll be chasing searobins and sand sharks. Even those fish seem to be in a decline in my opinion. More and more people eating searobins these days. I hope someone or a group can do something about this. Otherwise those guys won’t even be able to sell their boats and definitely will need to find job. 

I have not seen the big blitzes of bass for the past 3 years and I fish there to Thanksgiving. Last year I caught my last Albie the 2nd week of Nov. I believe that the albies are here longer and because of that the bass don't school up bay anchovies like they used to.  Sunday was still around 67 degrees, so I'm betting albies will be here a lot longer.

My logs are so inconsistent the last five years I don't know why I keep them anymore.

It was about 3 years ago right about this time that I met Mr Don Musso in a tackle store. He had just came back from Montauk. Spent the entire week end out there..told me he did not catch 1 fish..Man thats depressing news!!

On 10/9/2018 at 0:41 AM, The Fishing Nerd said:

We're going to need tighter limits quickly or I'm going to have to start learning how to water ski.

Just remember that as part of the stock assessment process that is going on right now, ASMFC is considering revising the fishing mortality and spawning stock biomass reference points for striped bass, so that fishermen can increase their harvests.

And, as always, there is good old Lee Zeldin, working hard to get the EEZ opened off Montauk so that more fish can be killed.

The New York State Outdoor Writers Association held its annual fall conference at Southampton this year.

A hostile ocean left us bottled up in the bay and on the beaches.

Two members who were sent out to Montauk to fish with a very capable local caught nothing (although their guide caught a bluefish).  

The rest of us were on boats.  We couldn't fish Peconic Bay on Friday because the northeast breeze built up rough seas.  The first boat through the Shinnecock Canal took a wave over the bow as soon as he nosed into the bay, and turned around.  I'm big enough that I could have fished there, but it wouldn't have been kind to my upstate passengers, who are used to smaller and calmer waters.

So we spent two days in Shinnecock Bay, looking for occasional schools of albacore ca(we got one) and mostly fishing the channel edges, catching short and out-of-season fluke and sea robins, along with one bluefish.  One small boat braved a shallow flat on the outgoing tide and found a few short bass.  Our guests went home with bags of sea robin fillets.

So the writers got a first-hand look at what the future could hold.

All I can say is that we're lucky we had so many wineries and breweries close at hand, because we sought their solace after coming ashore.

ASMFC is a disgrace with no credibility or accountability; complain as much as you want about an apathetic public, but the ASMFC is responsible for managing the fishery. Instead of asking demoralized people to resist perpetual increases in harvest, we should be asking people to show up to ask for resignations systemic change, and management that practices real conservation.

23 hours ago, rollincoal said:

ASMFC is a disgrace with no credibility or accountability; complain as much as you want about an apathetic public, but the ASMFC is responsible for managing the fishery. Instead of asking demoralized people to resist perpetual increases in harvest, we should be asking people to show up to ask for resignations systemic change, and management that practices real conservation

I can't think of any political system that lives up to the ideal that you describe.  The saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" has been around for an awfully long time for a reason.  The pro-harvest side comes out and makes demands,  The pro-conservation voices are largely silent.  So ASMFC does what the majority appears to want, and feels that they're doing the right thing.  People who sit on their tails and complain, but can't be bothered to turn out at a meeting or send in written comments, are a big part of the problem, as they merely reinforce ASMFC's perception that few disagree with what they're doing.  Lobbyists are in demand, because they understand that in a participatory political system, those who fail to participate don't count at all.

Showing up would be wonderful; but asking people to resist increases in harvest is the wrong idea. Scolding people for complaining isn’t going to work either, there has to be something meaningful to get behind, especially to deal with a corrupt system that is rigged.  Too bad there isn’t legitimate leadership from someone with credentials, at this point I’d settle for the “sharpies” that sell themselves.

34 mins ago, rollincoal said:

asking people to resist increases in harvest is the wrong idea..

Huh? why? 

It's exactly the right idea.

If the ASMFC need to hear from the for hire crowd and bend over to their demands in order to gauge the current fishery they live in a bubble

@CWITEK do you have any plans to write about some of the other issues on deck at the ASMFC meeting in NYC later this month? Aside from a review of Lee Zeldin’s proposal, there also looks like there’s a stock assessment update for SB. i’m guessing this is related to lowering the biomass threshold and target reference points you mentioned. 

Just from looking at the agenda, it looks there’s also the Atlantic Herring benchmark assessment and the fishery management plan for blackfish. A lot of this procedural stuff is easy to misread or gloss over, so I appreciate you breaking it down for the layman to understand. 

Agree with the post above that there really is no central recreational voice to counter the “recs” that represent the for-hire / party boat industry. I see John McMurray is attempting to organize since he was removed from the ASMFC proxy post (“We felt the vast majority of recreational fishermen, and the for hire industry were not being accurately represented, and that a change was absolutely necessary.” as per the NYRFHA site). I don’t know anything about his replacement Mike Falk, but I also don’t feel the rec/for-hire industry accurately voices the opinions/wants of a lot of us here on this site.