hydraman

Crazy

Rate this topic

201 posts in this topic

What if you threw a party and no one showed up? I am sure that’s how it felt this weekend at Montauk Point NY to many. For those that they will be saying, I know I was there , whats the point, a lot of our readers were not there. Some have never been to Montauk. Some see it as a bucket list destination, and some swore it would be the last thing on this world they would do.

So what did happen ?

Let me back up a little. 

Columbus day weekend…

If i could pick ONE weekend a year in January where i would be 99.9% sure fishing is going to be at least decent in Montauk through the course of the entire year I would pick Colobus Day weekend. 

Not for the size or for the numbers , just because its always been productive for me. Yeah, I’ve gotten skunk here or there but others found plenty of fish somewhere else.

Gathering of Anglers is an event that grew out of Korkers Cup. Basically all NY Surf Clubs are invited to compete for the weekend at Montauk Point . 48 hours of surf fishing and three largest striped bass from each club are tabulated and the club with largest combined weight is the winner. The minimum is 10 pounds and ALL fish must be released. It usually takes place on Columbus Day weekend

Now , not every member of every club can or wants to participate but fairly good number of them do including most of my clubs roster. Its a weekend to share camaraderie and catch few tides in the so called “Mecca of Surf Fishing”. Lots of grilling during the day, and lots or rock hopping at night. Some years fishing was so stupendous at daytime most just did not bother of even trying fishing at night, their arms were too sore.These are not your average weekend warriors, these are guys that joined surf fishing clubs to expand their knowledge, to be amongst people that share same passion. These are what I call “lifers”

Some clubs (especially mine) have downright challenging probationary period in order to evaluate a new member. My point is, regardless of what some social media clowns might say, these are good fisherman. They been doing this for a long time and know their ****.

So which club won, what was the biggest fish and biggest combined score.

No one won

There was not a SINGLE fish caught or entered into contest. 

I’ll repeat that one more time

Not a Single Eligible Striped Bass was caught during the entire weekend by any of participating clubs.

I’ll let than sink in…and when someone tell you how great the striped bass fishery is and we are just bunch of crybabies you can tell him to go youknowwhere.

This my friends is sad day in annals of surf fishing

Just now, hydraman said:

What if you threw a party and no one showed up? I am sure that’s how it felt this weekend at Montauk Point NY to many. For those that they will be saying, I know I was there , whats the point, a lot of our readers were not there. Some have never been to Montauk. Some see it as a bucket list destination, and some swore it would be the last thing on this world they would do.

So what did happen ?

Let me back up a little. 

Columbus day weekend…

If i could pick ONE weekend a year in January where i would be 99.9% sure fishing is going to be at least decent in Montauk through the course of the entire year I would pick Colobus Day weekend. 

Not for the size or for the numbers , just because its always been productive for me. Yeah, I’ve gotten skunk here or there but others found plenty of fish somewhere else.

Gathering of Anglers is an event that grew out of Korkers Cup. Basically all NY Surf Clubs are invited to compete for the weekend at Montauk Point . 48 hours of surf fishing and three largest striped bass from each club are tabulated and the club with largest combined weight is the winner. The minimum is 10 pounds and ALL fish must be released. It usually takes place on Columbus Day weekend

Now , not every member of every club can or wants to participate but fairly good number of them do including most of my clubs roster. Its a weekend to share camaraderie and catch few tides in the so called “Mecca of Surf Fishing”. Lots of grilling during the day, and lots or rock hopping at night. Some years fishing was so stupendous at daytime most just did not bother of even trying fishing at night, their arms were too sore.These are not your average weekend warriors, these are guys that joined surf fishing clubs to expand their knowledge, to be amongst people that share same passion. These are what I call “lifers”

Some clubs (especially mine) have downright challenging probationary period in order to evaluate a new member. My point is, regardless of what some social media clowns might say, these are good fisherman. They been doing this for a long time and know their ****.

So which club won, what was the biggest fish and biggest combined score.

No one won

There was not a SINGLE fish caught or entered into contest. 

I’ll repeat that one more time

Not a Single Eligible Striped Bass was caught during the entire weekend by any of participating clubs.

I’ll let than sink in…and when someone tell you how great the striped bass fishery is and we are just bunch of crybabies you can tell him to go youknowwhere.

This my friends is sad day in annals of surf fishing

This was copied and pasted. It’s just a sad sad time we are in. I can remember in 2010 this time of year I could walk on the water on top of bass so many blitzing. A budy sent me this I believe it’s from surfcasters jurnal. I hope this is ok. 

Used to fish stripers every week from end of sept thru early dec.   Now maybe once a month.  I fish fresh water more and more. Sad. 

I was in montauk this weekend , the slowest least crowded Columbus Day weekend I've seen in going for over 20 years . The collapse is here . . . 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fish the North Fork and had the same experience. I was excited for the long weekend/new moon-I fished hard Saturday night and fished a few hours Sunday night until I was so discouraged I gave up. I caught not one single fish. Saturday, I fished the first 3/4 of the night with another member from here-and the end of the night with another friend. None of us had a single fish. Sunday was more of the same. If not for a few albies caught during the day-the weekend would have been a total wash out. While i’d like to blame it on the odd wind direction and overall conditions, I agree that the problem is a bigger one.  Serious food for thought!

Edited by jesgord

I'd love to hear from zeno, Skinner, wetzel, crazy Al, and other sharpie, old or young, who have ghosted this site. Love to get their perspective.

39 mins ago, spiegs71 said:

Don’t worry someone will come along shortly and tell you that there is no issue with bass that they just are not where you are 

Having already fished through the 80s, the writing has been on the wall.  I said this was going to happen when they went to 2 @ 28" years ago.  To be honest I am surprised this didn't happen sooner.  To this day I still have people telling me the water is too warm or the fish have changed their migration patterns or its pollution, etc.  I don't understand why it is so hard for people to understand we have over fished them again.

The only way this ever changes if everyone speaks up and contacts the ASMFC and the governors.  As a matter of fact I am going to share this article with the rep I have been keeping in contact with.  Good luck to us.  We need it.

Well said JPS 

i have thought the stocks have been in trouble for a while now and finally my fishing buddies are starting to see it now too. 

Its not just the bass either - I used to get a hell of a lot more blues - even at night than I do / see around now.

again someone will be by to tell us why we are all wrong.

I think there has to be a moratorium coming again in the next few years - but we shall see.

RL Bucktails likes this

2 hours ago, spiegs71 said:

Well said JPS 

i have thought the stocks have been in trouble for a while now and finally my fishing buddies are starting to see it now too. 

Its not just the bass either - I used to get a hell of a lot more blues - even at night than I do / see around now.

again someone will be by to tell us why we are all wrong.

I think there has to be a moratorium coming again in the next few years - but we shall see.

This is what I found most worrisome - the blues have been extremely scarce this year.

Bass at least comes and goes, and the combination of wind/tide, fisherman experience, tackle - means a large group of people can get skunked without it really raising too many eyebrows.  At the right time of year, anyone should be able to catch some blues.

I spent most of Sunday out on the East End, starting in the Gut and heading out to the Race - and I found nothing.  Pods and pods of bunker, with maybe a handful of blues.  A quick moving pod of albies that were gone before you kne w it.  There wasn't a bass in sight, but in past years you could always count on the blues in those spots at this time of year.  Not on live bait, not on artificials, not on the troll.  Nada.

We're going to need tighter limits quickly or I'm going to have to start learning how to water ski.

I've gone there the m-f after Columbus day with a very large group for 20 years. Thank god were going later on the 22nd this year. I've seen both feast and famine that week, but the famine is gaining. I keep hearing 'the water is a little warm for bass'. I yak fish LIS 60x a season and I see declines in bass and blues, and increases in sea robins, weakfish and porgy. One thing about M, you have to be up early and late, and be willing to hike several miles sometimes.When the bass fishing is zero we wind up chasing false albacore.

A few observations with no science to back it up

#1 Last year's anomaly of warm weather \ water in October and even into November seems to be repeating itself this year, so yes... the water is likely warmer than usual

#2 I am strictly an average weekend warrior ..maybe twice a week. Every single Bass that I have seen caught on the South Shore was released. Yes there are tons of stories of the bucket brigade and Googan gang that keeps fish, I just do not see it, so ethically speaking, the majority of anglers I see on an open beach practice good conservation.

#3 I find the shads are humongous this year, makes me think about stressed Freshwater spots I fish where the Large Mouth Bass are stunted and their forage ( Golden Shiners, Bluegill ) are gigantic indicating something is clearly wrong. The baits are big and plentiful and the predators are not showing, something is wrong.

I'm even starting to freak out about Snapper blue's - years ago it was fun fishing for the kids, now I find such a sharp decline, I need to hunt for them and jump spots to put my kids on the fish.

What a shame this is for my kids....

Well, the bass fishing in the Montauk Rips and block was plenty good this weekend as has been all year. Easy limits with big fish. Jig bite was good, eels nite was good. Wire line was a slaughter of course.  There were a few bass blitzes in August but the fly rod boats have not seen a bass in a month and a half.  Thank god for albies they say now. Tons of albies around.

Good luck trying to convince a montauk charter boat captain that bass fishing is down.  While I agree with you that things have changed plenty, given the current attitudes among those that actually have influence - Zeldin, Montauk charter boat association etc nothing is going to change.

13 hours ago, hydraman said:

This was copied and pasted. It’s just a sad sad time we are in. I can remember in 2010 this time of year I could walk on the water on top of bass so many blitzing. A budy sent me this I believe it’s from surfcasters jurnal. I hope this is ok. 

The bass blitzes the happened in August I referenced above were quickly extinguished by the gillnetters.  As soon as they get wind that fish are on the beaches, they are out in full force.  Lined up from Turtle Cove to Amagansett. These fish tend to be the right commercial slot bass and the gill nets make easy work of filling up their tags.  Of course any fish caught but not in the slot, well, you know what happens to them.  The gill netters have been targeting albies lately, $0.50/ pound to send them to China to make cat food or something ridiculous like that.

Buh-bye blitzes.