gellfex

Repair or replace?

34 posts in this topic

Left the title vague with the idea this could be a long running thread since I can't be the only one frequently facing this question.  My current dilemma is a 11 year old Whirlpool dishwasher. I was able to quickly narrow down the problem to the control panel, but the part is $180 shipped vs $370 for a new equivalent one.  What say you guys?  I hate repairing something only to have it die permanently soon after.  Once spent $400 on a new fridge compressor that crapped out a few months after the 1 year warranty of the service tech.

The d/w isn't worth 180.  Depreciation has to set in at some point.  

If you can fix it without having to remove the D/W i'm all for taking the path of least resistance in this particular case.  Unless it's pretty banged up.  I could go either way.

Replace, but check eBay for a used part first.  I was surprised to find a control panel for an oven that was going for about the same price for $30, figured I'd stretch another couple of years out of it at that price.

Had the same exact problem. Replaced with a new upgraded model that was on sale. No regrets.

New ones are much more energy efficient, you will save on water, electric, what the part would cost in no time.

1 hour ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Replace, but check eBay for a used part first.  I was surprised to find a control panel for an oven that was going for about the same price for $30, figured I'd stretch another couple of years out of it at that price.

This, 

I kept a washing machine going for years and years past it's expiration point with minimal $$

2 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Good idea for many parts, but this is not one that was used across several models, it's the front panel, constantly changing. What's annoying about oem parts is how ridiculously expensive some are. I had an argument with a dude on a repair site who was claiming the $90 for an oem oven igniter was totally justified! That chunk of ceramic and nichrome could be bought aftermarket anywhere for $10-15.  Just think of all the fancy high tech crap you can buy for $90, you can get a freaking smartphone for that!

Just now, Mr. Bigdeal said:

My BIL could fix it.....he's an electrical wizard.

Doubt it. Those buttons are basically a embedded in a piece a tape stuck to the front of the panel. I've found these cheap control panels buttons to be failing everywhere, I had to order a remote to operate a window AC where the front panel buttons are failing, even the never used ones.

He does circuit boards for classic pinball machines and anything else with his eyes closed, fixed my MIL's dishwasher many times when they couldn't get parts......electrical genius.