GregO

Annual South Shore visit mid October

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2018 at 8:52 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Patchy

 

I agree newcomers should be aware of the tides.

 

Any Fisher who does not do the basics and study a time table and I see it often quite simply is a Tool. In fact some are worse and qualify as Tool Boxes.

 

Darwin must have despaired at times.

 

Mike

Ya know I often chime in on some safety and other basics. It disappoints me that the internets reports hot spots don't get to the safety basics much.

 

Sinking in the mud can be very unpleasant, if not bad. I sunk some in Wellfleet haba just the other day...left a shoe in a hole when I pulled my leg out. Got it back though.

 

My worst with mud was when retrieving a duck a long time ago, hunting alone. I was up to my knees and worried about even getting out, without help, and there was no help. Pulled an an Achilles bad when I yanked a leg out...dogged me more than a year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PhillyPhisher said:

Fellow Oregon resident here. Where about in Oregon do you reside? 

Portland.  How about you?  My in-laws range from NH to Cape Cod, and my daughter is near Boston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, patchyfog said:

Ya know I often chime in on some safety and other basics. It disappoints me that the internets reports hot spots don't get to the safety basics much.

 

Sinking in the mud can be very unpleasant, if not bad. I sunk some in Wellfleet haba just the other day...left a shoe in a hole when I pulled my leg out. Got it back though.

 

My worst with mud was when retrieving a duck a long time ago, hunting alone. I was up to my knees and worried about even getting out, without help, and there was no help. Pulled an an Achilles bad when I yanked a leg out...dogged me more than a year...

I appreciate the safety alerts.  The estuaries I frequent in Oregon also have dangerous mud to sink in, as well as tides and currents to be well aware of.  Thanks for the heads up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GregO said:

Portland.  How about you?  My in-laws range from NH to Cape Cod, and my daughter is near Boston.

I’m in Bend. Just got off the Deschutes. Did not do as good as I’d hoped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PhillyPhisher said:

I’m in Bend. Just got off the Deschutes. Did not do as good as I’d hoped. 

Nice!  I’ve floated Pine Tree to the mouth twice this season, got a real nice 10 lb native in July, went 0 for 3 a couple weeks ago but my buddy got his first summer steelhead on a sweet classic style Spey fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GregO said:

Nice!  I’ve floated Pine Tree to the mouth twice this season, got a real nice 10 lb native in July, went 0 for 3 a couple weeks ago but my buddy got his first summer steelhead on a sweet classic style Spey fly.

I just started learning the two hander. Gotta put my time in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of fish around sunrise and sunset the past week or so. Cant miss the birds crashing peanuts - unfortunately as mentioned, not much size to the fish. The bay and ocean side have both had schools moving south - you'll find them and they are still fun on light gear

GregO likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, GregO said:

I appreciate the safety alerts.  The estuaries I frequent in Oregon also have dangerous mud to sink in, as well as tides and currents to be well aware of.  Thanks for the heads up.

Yarmouth Maine mud in July...  By myself- had to swim out.

mud.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well the trip was a big success!  Lots of great visiting time wth my daughter in college, and perfect tides for morning and evening fishing.  I fished 50/50 flies and lures depending on th wind and how far out we found fish.  As was told to me on this forum, lots of fish but didn’t find any big ones.  Most were in the 20”-22” range, with a solo of about 30” that shook the hook as I went to grab it for a photo (isn’t that always the case?!).  

 

We had miles of beach to ourselves in the Duxbury/Marshfield area.  All fish I got on flies took a 3” SF baitfish style fly in bunker colors, except for when I fished a river outfall where a small dark clouser worked best.  We fished a nice little blitz with fish biting a foot away from the shore in less than a foot of water.   That was fun!  No takes on the fancy flatwings I tied up.  Once again, thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

 

Greg

Edited by GregO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.