GregO

Annual South Shore visit mid October

24 posts in this topic

This forum has really been a wealth of knowledge for this Oregon resident!  My in-laws (and now my daughter too) are Boston/South Shore/CC residents, and my annual visit usually occurs during the summer.  The past few years I have been going for stripers with fly gear.  I’ve been guided a few times out of Barnstable and got into lots of fish, but not many over 24” or so.  Last year I had my first success on my own from beaches and salt marsh creeks.  This year will be my first time fishing outside of the July/August timeframe and will be trying the South Shore beaches mostly around Marshfield/Duxbury.

My wife’s cousin is a quite good gear guy, and he will be my fishing buddy next week.  I have tied up a new assortment of flatwings and baitfish patterns as well as some squid flies for out nighttime harbor visits.  I really just wanted to post a “thank you” to the forum and it’s regular contributors for lots of nuggets of wisdom.  If anyone is headed to the PNW for steelhead, feel free to hit me up and maybe I can help a little bit.  Tight lines,

Greg

evenings/nights on a dropping tide in the estuaries,perhaps not every night(check the bait staging near the mouth before the sun sets),but when it's on it's amazing...

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

You're welcome.  Have you posted your mandatory joke yet?

Yes,just a few minutes ago.  It’s a gem

The Fall can be amazing, if you can find the bait, you will find the fish, don't spend to much time in one spot. someties if you wall a bit it can tun  the whole day around.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, slip n slide said:

evenings/nights on a dropping tide in the estuaries,perhaps not every night(check the bait staging near the mouth before the sun sets),but when it's on it's amazing...

:th:. The CCB estuaries have been good too. In the big ones like Barnstable and Wellfleet, it can be better at the lower end of the tide...because the bait gets concentrated.

But newcomers in particular have to be cautious when wading, especially at low, so ya don't find some knee-deep mud. If the bottom is sand, it's most likely hard. It's when the sediment looks finer, darker, and full of dead shells, that people should tread carefully.

Newcomers also need to know that on the CCB side, the tide range is about 9-13 ft, depending on moon phase. The range on the South side is about 4'.

Edited by patchyfog
1 person likes this

Patchy

I agree newcomers should be aware of the tides.

Any Fisher who does not do the basics and study a time table and I see it often quite simply is a Tool. In fact some are worse and qualify as Tool Boxes.

Darwin must have despaired at times.

Mike

1 person likes this

Works in the favor of some of us when they are not aware though.... for instance one spot in particular that I fish, finds many of the unaware folks fishing from the beach, into what they believe is a great section of water to fish, until I wade out and they realize they've been casting into 1-2 feet of nothing the entire time. Fine with me as it keeps the sandbar and deeper water to those who know!

2 hours ago, titleguy said:

Wish you had a few more posts so I could PM.  Shorebound or boat access?

Shorebound.  Thanks for trying to help.

Greg

32 mins ago, GregO said:

Shorebound.  Thanks for trying to help.

Greg

Greg-  beaches on both sides of the mouth of North/Indianhead- Norwell/Scituate on north side and Marshfield on south side.  Scussett Beach.  Anywhere there is sand and tide in Deluxebury...  :)

It’s been a strong bite the past two weeks but there is no size to them. I’ve caught every time I’ve gone in the past two weeks but the largest has been 24”. Think peanut bunker patterns and fish the outgoing tides of any tidal rivers in the area and you will score. As said just find the bait. I really hope it lasts longer but alas the winter is coming 

1 person likes this