First Albie

My goal was to land an Albie this year. Launched our kayaks 45 minutes before first light Sunday in eastern CT. Huge rollers sent us back to the boat launch where my son and I spent 3 hours before going out again. We headed to a somewhat sheltered spot and hooked an Albie a short while later. What a hoot! I finally turned him with only 4 or 5 turns left on the reel. Now I know why they are so popular. A nice fellow angler took pictures before I released the fish. Meanwhile my son was busy playing with a wind knot in his line.

Nice, I got my first this year too they are crazy fast, mine didn't come close to spooling me though, was it a big one? Maybe your gear was a little light? The surf was nasty sunday morning (at least for CT), I was plugging for stripers on a point from 430 am - 730 getting blasted with waves, planned on heading out on the yak after but didn't even attempt it.

Congratulations 

there is nothing like hooking an Albie for the first time.   That fight for a fish that size is an adrenaline rush.   Same thing happened to me I kept replaying the fight and smiling.   

Even better you shared it with your son. 

22 hours ago, Dieseldog13 said:

My goal was to land an Albie this year. Launched our kayaks 45 minutes before first light Sunday in eastern CT. Huge rollers sent us back to the boat launch where my son and I spent 3 hours before going out again. We headed to a somewhat sheltered spot and hooked an Albie a short while later. What a hoot! I finally turned him with only 4 or 5 turns left on the reel. Now I know why they are so popular. A nice fellow angler took pictures before I released the fish. Meanwhile my son was busy playing with a wind knot in his line.

Congrats D-Dog! Zoom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is all relative..

I hooked my first BeeBee this year, somewhat small and I had an 8 foot medium action.

It was fun and exciting, but I've had gorilla blues take me to school much better.

Beautiful fish and certainly crossed off my bucket list.. but not mind blowing as I would have thought based on recaps from other posters.

Mind bowing I don't know. All depends on the tackle I guess. I use 4000-5000 class reels and 1/4 to 3/4oz rod and 20lb braid and once in a while a 9 weight fly rod.

When Albies first come out of the gulf stream they are oxygenated I guess. The battle is 3 times harder than the ones I caught on Columbus Day. By the time you guys get the Albies are they are out of the gulf stream or inshore waters?  If it's inshore waters those Albies don't fight the same. On Saturday I was off Monomoy and although it was fun not nearly the same fight as a month ago. They are inshore far too long now and don't pull like they did. In fact the chances of getting a dud are pretty high right now. Then there is the size. There is a big difference between a 10lb or greater Albie fight than the average 4-6 lber.

Edited by The Riddler

43 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Then there is the size. There is a big difference between a 10lb or greater Albie fight than the average 4-6 lber.

I think you hit the nail on the head :th: ........haven't done any weighing but the ones in my neighborhood lately are from 22" - 27"

Weight Chart says that's an 8 - 15lb fish....... no complaints from me on the fight, waters 68 - 70 deg.....

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Mind bowing I don't know. All depends on the tackle I guess. I use 4000-5000 class reels and 1/4 to 3/4oz rod and 20lb braid and once in a while a 9 weight fly rod.

When Albies first come out of the gulf stream they are oxygenated I guess. The battle is 3 times harder than the ones I caught on Columbus Day. By the time you guys get the Albies are they are out of the gulf stream or inshore waters?  If it's inshore waters those Albies don't fight the same. On Saturday I was off Monomoy and although it was fun not nearly the same fight as a month ago. They are inshore far too long now and don't pull like they did. In fact the chances of getting a dud are pretty high right now. Then there is the size. There is a big difference between a 10lb or greater Albie fight than the average 4-6 lber.

good theory, unfortunately colder water has a higher oxygen carrying capacity .

" I did my worst, but I did it well "

I just read this. So oxygen levels have nothing to do why an Albie fights strong when they first come in shore.

https://www.washington.edu/news/2018/09/17/shift-in-large-scale-atlantic-circulation-causes-lower-oxygen-water-to-invade-canadas-gulf-of-st-lawrence/

The research confirms a recent study showing that, as carbon dioxide levels rose over the past century due to human emissions, the Gulf Stream has shifted northward and the Labrador Current has weakened. The new paper finds that this causes more of the Gulf Stream’s warm, salty and oxygen-poor water to enter the St. Lawrence Seaway.