HatterasJack

Help with an abandoned boat/trailer on my property

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, aae0130 said:

First mistake you made was notifying the authorities in a city like that. I spent most of my life in a similar urban environment so I have dealt with municipal authorities who do not move unless they smell money. In your shoes, I would have pushed it out into a street parking spot. The police would ticket it and tow/impound it (there’s the money) and trace the numbers back to the owner so that they could collect the fines and impoundment fees. Grandson would be paying instead of you. Now it seems that you will be held accountable for getting rid of it at your own cost. 

First mistake you made was buying the property with boat on it, should have made it condition of purchase, no closing until boat was gone. When we purchased our 1st house, previous owner (who had passed away) had a friend living with her. When it came time to set a closing date, our attorney informed seller's attorney, that no closing date would be set until tenant was out of house. She was gone in 3 days. 

ermghoti likes this

Since you are going to improve the property, get the dumpster delivered and put the whole package in there. But I would at least try getting tires on it and pulling it out front with a FREE sign for a few days////

I agree with the post about just cutting it up and putting it in the dumpster you are most likely going to have on site anyways. Some places will not take boats without proof of ownership. To bypass this we would always cut them into 1/3. We had to deal with boats left at our shop regularly. 

This is such a no brainer.

I have got rid of tons of junk stuff, including two boats, on craigslist. Take a couple pictures and place an ad in the "free" section of craigslist and I promise it'll be gone in no time. If there is nothing else on the lot for someone to take, put the address in the ad. Trust me, someone wants it and will be racing to get it... 

Tex59 likes this

I too have gotten rid of a few with a sawzall, chainsaw and a dumpster.  The Craigslist idea is also good.  I've never seen anything listed as 'free' last more than a few hours.  Scrappers can make a buck on that stuff.

On another social website I encountered a guy who does exactly what you are asking. Without posting a link, here's the number 732-295-BOAT, he says no demo on property, they come get it and demo it elsewhere.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:50 AM, HatterasJack said:

This was an 'as is' purchase for very small money.  Took two years to find the heirs who owned the lot and never knew they had it.

Who was paying the taxes on the lot during those 2 years?