Borsig

Night surfcasting?

52 posts in this topic

TimS made a point about "feel" for it.....I have always told others starting out fishing at night to get in a big field where nothing can interfere with your casts and in total darkness learn that "feel" of everything..the closing of the bail when the lure hits land, judging the distance you just cast that plug in the darkness, the feel of the line no longer coming off the reel, the feel of the line almost in...the lure getting close,,,picking up the line with your finger off the bail...is it too close to the tip...too far from the tip...and many other little things that you will begin to "feel" in the total darkness that you take for granted in the day time. You just have to get a feel for everything and after a while...many trips and experiences you will you will have it down pat...second nature to you. Just like a blind person walking around in his own home....knows where everything is and always in total comfort with his surroundings.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, cheech said:

You have to be fairly proficient during the day to fish at night :p. Pre-tie some leaders, bring a good headlamp and spare batteries.

AND DON'T SHINE THE DAMNED LIGHT ALL OVER THE BEACH AND THE WATER! PLEASE! use sparingly or not at all. If you must, PLEASE don't shoot while light anywhere near me! Turn your back to the water and use red light.

Start slow. It can be very weird and frustrating at fist. Will probably take you a season at least to become comfortable at night.  If you get too frustrated or freaked out...go home and try again later.  You'll look at your fear and frustration with a laugh when you're at home...but keep at it.  It will become more fun and comfortable than day.  You learn the tricks.

Keep you gear VERY organized.  Especially when you are in wind ,heavy surf (sporty conditions) you do not want to be searching for items or making leaders.  Get yourself highly organized... everything in one spot in the car and have a checklist for all items.  Sucks to get all the way out there and realized you forgot some important item.  We've all done it.  If you are alone, you can carry a VHF radio for safety and comfort. The weather service broadcasts make me feel comfortable.

Don't over do it. You can get disoriented. Don't go out onto underwater bars by yourself until you are very confident that you can do it in all tide conditions during daylight.  Be very wary of wading off banks.  The bottom can drop out quickly in many places and if a good current is moving it can endanger you even in a foot of water.

Night surf fishing tests your gear.  Shoddy gear that you can get away with during day will severely hinder you at night. Poor waders and boots, crappy jacket, wearing jeans and almoat anything cotton, unreliable lights, unmaintained reels, dull knife, dull hooks, etc.   No good.  You want all your core essential gear in good order and no unessential gear to bog you down .  Light and right.

Edited by blackdogfish
My typing sucks
1 person likes this

Just now, Borsig said:

What about lightsticks?

Are those a no go?

Like glowsticks, for what purpose do you have in mind? We tape them to our rod tips when we chunk for sharks. I also keep an unactivated one along with a knife around my neck when I wetsuit. Otherwise all my light comes from a red headlamp.

1 hour ago, Waydown said:

TimS made a point about "feel" for it.....I have always told others starting out fishing at night to get in a big field where nothing can interfere with your casts and in total darkness learn that "feel" of everything..the closing of the bail when the lure hits land, judging the distance you just cast that plug in the darkness, the feel of the line no longer coming off the reel, the feel of the line almost in...the lure getting close,,,picking up the line with your finger off the bail...is it too close to the tip...too far from the tip...and many other little things that you will begin to "feel" in the total darkness that you take for granted in the day time. You just have to get a feel for everything and after a while...many trips and experiences you will you will have it down pat...second nature to you. Just like a blind person walking around in his own home....knows where everything is and always in total comfort with his surroundings.

Yeah!  And feeling for the little loops of braid laying outside your reel... which will turn into a massive wind knot on the next cast.  I hate wind knots  more than bugs... have put an end to more than one nights fishing.

I remember reading years ago...time the cast so that it lands in the trough behind the breaking wave.  And I thought WTF? How the hell do you tell that in the dark?

Ah... grasshopper....

8 mins ago, Borsig said:

What about lightsticks?

Are those a no go?

If you get a bit freaked out, you can use a light stick as a marker.  Like where the trail thru woods meets the beach.  Or where the big rock is behind you that marks "Safe shallow water"...etc.  mainly on moonless nights.  With a full moon you can just about read a book at night.

47 mins ago, Waydown said:

+1

Be prepared, methodical, go slow

Fish favorable conditions at first

Heavy surf, current, sweep, 20-30 mph gusts, heavy tackle, no moon, rain = possible great fishing but not for a beginner in the night game

Its not fun when you're untangling , retying,  no sense of lure placement, difficulty staying connected

4 hours ago, Stewie said:

I think it's smart to use the smallest, least bright light you can find, hung around your neck. You can hold it in your teeth when you need to tie a knot or (gasp) unknit a backlash. The dull light won't affect your night vision as much as a brighter one would.

Keep a bright headlamp in a pocket too. This one is good for finding your way out of the rocks and back to your truck, and as a backup for the weak one. I use a Princeton Blast. Seems waterproof, batteries last a long time and it's easy to bite and aim where you want it.

light.jpg

Yup.

Princeton Text.  Get a couple.  Get some rubber surgical tubing on Amazon.  Take the ends,and tape them securely to the light with a good amount of electrical tape.  Violla!  Fifteen dollar water resistant neck light. Hold in your teeth when tying. knots. You can make one red lens and one white.

I had surgical tubing on one, but something like a bootlace lets you drool a little less when it's in your teeth.  LOL

I have not had much luck with it yet, personally. I do like doing it regardless. There is just something about being completely alone on the beach, doing what you love. It is a good time even if I do not catch anything. To be fair, I have not been at it for too long at the moment. Memorizing the contents of your plug bag helps immensely. I always load mine pretty much the same way, so even without a lot of ambient light to help me, I can find the plugs I am looking for. As others have said, have leaders/rigs pre-tied, and get very good at whatever knot you plan to use. Practice until you can literally do it with your eyes closed.

Regarding lights. I do bring a headlamp, but I only use it when unhooking fish or in an emergency, like dealing with a wind knot or something. If you have to turn it on, even with red light, try to turn away from the beach. I got a lamp from NyteBright on Amazon for pretty cheap. It has independent white and red light buttons, and can handle a splash if it comes to that, though it is not rated for submersion. I also like to leave a reusable glow stick on my water bottle above the high tide line to help me keep an eye on it.

I do 90% or more of my fishing at night. Everything said is spot on. Know your spot, know your gear, lights are only used as a last resort. Once your eyes get used to the dark you don't want to use a light and ruin your night vision.

Safety is always the first thing on your list or it could be your last. Have been fishing over 40 yrs at night and I always bring or meet up with a buddy . I've fished from 8pm to 5am and jump from beach to beach in search for that first bump. Plus it's always fun to have a buddy to enjoy and talk about the catch. Good Luck

Like everything , more time spent doing something the better you will get. When you catch your personal best it will be dark and then you will be hooked. 

Glow stick in the plug bag is not a bad idea. Helps with finding stuff.

Someone here recommended it.