Borsig

Night surfcasting?

52 posts in this topic

Do you guys have much luck doing this? I tried it a little last weekend, and found that fumbling around in the dark became quickly not fun. I wasn't really prepared for it, I think.

Is it worth the effort, and is there a good primer on it somewhere?

7 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

people fish during the day?

Picture of night  time. Picture of day time. 

9F79462A-43C4-48A6-8C2B-D9C5D4D0151E.jpeg

0F7349BB-5476-41F5-8FCC-1DE1B4859891.jpeg

4 people like this

The night is absolutely the best time to fish for bass, especially BIG bass. Sure you may luck into good fishing at first light or during the day but to consistently catch good fish, go after dark. Check your spots during daylight on tides you plan to fish. Know your gear and get comfortable working it without light. Have a good light and a second backup light with you at all times. Fish known fish holding spots, bars, boulders, currents and rips, places you have found fish during daylight. A good way to get comfortable fishing after dark is to start in the late evening before sunset, then fish through into the dark. That way you can acclimate yourself to the darkness.

2 people like this

12 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

it's easier to use binocs to mug

ill let you use my night vision goggles when we fish together

1 person likes this

You have to be fairly proficient during the day to fish at night :p. Pre-tie some leaders, bring a good headlamp and spare batteries.

15 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

The night is absolutely the best time to fish for bass, especially BIG bass. Sure you may luck into good fishing at first light or during the day but to consistently catch good fish, go after dark. Check your spots during daylight on tides you plan to fish. Know your gear and get comfortable working it without light. Have a good light and a second backup light with you at all times. Fish known fish holding spots, bars, boulders, currents and rips, places you have found fish during daylight. A good way to get comfortable fishing after dark is to start in the late evening before sunset, then fish through into the dark. That way you can acclimate yourself to the darkness.

Sssshhhhhh .. there no fish till first light everyone knows that 

30 mins ago, Borsig said:

Do you guys have much luck doing this? I tried it a little last weekend, and found that fumbling around in the dark became quickly not fun. I wasn't really prepared for it, I think.

thankfully it's not for everyone.  I have seen a few people try at night early on in their surf fishing careers and "fumbling" is a great word to describe what they were doing. a couple of them decided fishing at night just wasn't for them. same with freshwater for walleye. i have taken a couple people at night and they hate it. 

But don't use the headlamp unless you REALLY NEED to.

Small light around your neck is what to have on an open beach.

1 person likes this

31 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

people fish during the day?

23 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

it's easier to use binocs to mug

Listen guys, I'm a big fan of humor...and I get it that you guys are trying to be funny...I really do. But I have to ask that you please restrict these shots at humor until AFTER you have answered the guys question. Or...after you make your funny, THEN try to answer the guys question. Otherwise it really detracts from the discussions people are trying to have here. You are both very capable of answering the guys question in a manner that would be very helpful to him and to others reading this site - so, please, moving forward, if you aren't planning on being helpful and constructive, don't derail a thread with the one liner attempts at humor. Thanks :th:

TimS

1 person likes this

Practice and get to know your spots during the day.

Or find spots with some more light that you can use at night, such as spots where streetlights provide some light to the beach so you are not in total darkness.

Pretie leaders, and have extras. 

A redlight is better than white for night vision.

Shine lights away from the water if you need to use them.

1 person likes this

This will be on the obx. There are not really bass there. 

Does that matter?

I always use a red light when camping, but don't have a red headlamp 

55 mins ago, Borsig said:

You need to fish any spot in the day time first. Get to know the land. Then when you fish at night, you know where your stepping. 

it takes a while getting used to fishing by yourself in a pitch black beach, but night Time is the right time especially for bigger fish. when you fish at night try getting used to using your light as little as possible and don't point it towards the water