Visting Boston this week

Rate this topic

dlock

Hello, 

I'm from SoCal and I'm visiting my friend in Boston. He lives near North Point Park on the Charles River. I fish for anything in SoCal, but I'm mainly bringing a bass travel rod and box of lures. 

Can anyone recommend any bass baits/lures/tackle I should bring for this time of year and the area I will be around. 

Also are there any party boat fishing in Boston? I'm having a hard time looking for a party boat that launches from within Boston. If I have the time, I'd like to drop a line in the Atlantic, just to say I have, haha. 

Is there any other species or area I should try fishing? 

I assume that you're referring to saltwater fishing.  If you are referring to FW fishing, there are many great spots about ten miles W that can produce excellent LMB fishing, especially at this time of year.  If you are referring to FW, I can point out many spots, along with canoe rental places for you, so just LMK.

If you're talking about SW fishing, I cannot help you with party boats, but I'm certain that others will pipe up with suggestions.  As for fishing the salt from shore, I'm familiar with Winthrop/Deer Island and, to a lesser degree, Revere (which abuts Winthrop to the N), so I suggest getting to the Winthrop/Revere area, since most of the wading is pretty easy, unless you are at Deer Island, in which case you will primarily be fishing from the concrete walkways that run along the outside of the island.

I don't know what there is for bait there now, but its pretty safe to assume that you'll see peanut bunker and adult bunker (Menhaden).  For Pnuts, small white bucktails (no trailer) in sizes from 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz can be effective, as can bunker-colored swim shads in 2" to 3"-ish sizes.  Adult bunker at this time of year can be 10" long or more, so a Sebile (or knockoff) Magic Swimmer in any gold/brown/yellow color can be productive; same goes for Stick Shadds.  I suggest either of them in the largest sizes that you can comfortably cast with your gear, in the "slow sinking" style (designated by "SK" at the bottom rear of the plug).

SP minnows in bone color are pretty effective all around New England, so I'd have one of those in my bag for sure.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

20 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Troutworm, do you mean the Federal registry (for salt water) or an actual State of Massachusetts license?

And don't forget the Federal stamp for seals.

There is a SW license ($10) and a separate FW license ($37.50/year or $23.50/3-day). Can be bought online. Both are purchased from Mass Fish & Game. 

EPO HQ is in the North End on Causway St. Not sure if they sell licenses there, but would prevent those fun “convenience fees” they stick you with online. 

dlock- Where you are going to be is right on the divide between FW and SW. It is salt right after the locks on the Charles, a few hundred yards downstream from the park. 

Edited by PlumFishing

The MA SW Permit is $10 online.  Well worth (IMO) the couple bucks convenience fee, because parking in that area is a myth.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the license concern, I am well aware of licenses. I was actually shocked to see how cheap your licenses were compared to CA, and how straight forward everything is compared to CA (we have various extra permits for, saltwater (only southern third of CA), 2 rod stamps, etc).

Do they sell licenses at tackle stores/walmarts/sporting good stores, or only at EPO HQ and online?

Also, can anyone recommend a good tackle shop in Boston?

I plan on purchasing a 3 day or full (rest of year) license (will be here for 5 full days) and saltwater stamp. I did realize Northpoint park might be in a brackish water area, good to know the boundaries. 

I plan on bringing some jerkbaits, crankbaits, spinners, and various swimbaits. Ill be sure to bring some bucktails too. 

Thank you for all the tips, and more tips are welcome. 

I fish SW and FW from shore/banks/jetties all the time (don't have a boat, yet..) so I'm really open to any type of fishing you guys recommend. 

I'll be sure to post a report when I'm back in CA. 

My office was at North Point in Cambridge for 4 years. Guys I worked with fished the river and the bridges with success for striper, LMB and SMB

Castle Island and Deer Island would be my next 2 suggestions. 

40 mins ago, ged said:

My office was at North Point in Cambridge for 4 years. Guys I worked with fished the river and the bridges with success for striper, LMB and SMB

Castle Island and Deer Island would be my next 2 suggestions. 

x2.   Stripers can be had on the saltwater side of the Charles as well.  There is a kayak rental place in Cambridge at the end of the canal next to the Longfellow Bridge.  I remember an old fishing show where a guy pulled a big bass out from under a pile of trash next to the Museum of Science.  

Thanks you all again for the info and especially the driving tips haha. 

We'll definitely hit the bridges and structure along the river, rent kayaks, and SW spots nearby. Its also looking like we'll have several days to fish, so we might head west for a day (thank you Southcoastphil).

Researching the Boston area amazes me with all the fishing opportunities you guys have (compared to SoCal). 

50 mins ago, dlock said:

Thanks you all again for the info and especially the driving tips haha. 

We'll definitely hit the bridges and structure along the river, rent kayaks, and SW spots nearby. Its also looking like we'll have several days to fish, so we might head west for a day (thank you Southcoastphil).

Researching the Boston area amazes me with all the fishing opportunities you guys have (compared to SoCal). 

I lived in SoCal, Huntington Beach to be exact. I was shocked with how poor the surf and FW fishing was compared here. 

Offshore San Diego boats have us beat.