dlaurend

First Trip to North Fork (?) of Long Island

40 posts in this topic

1 min ago, NoFlukenName said:

Back to the OP’s original question, Wego is a fine choice for a Southold local bait and tackle.  You may also want to consider Blue Water Lures - on the same road as Wego but about 3 miles west.  The proprietor (who’s name escapes me) is a very nice, helpful guy.

I didn’t see this discussed, but in general, there’s a major backlash against all the North Fork visitors.  In fact Southold passed a law this year requiring a trailer permit in order to launch a boat at one of the town ramps.  I heard through the grapevine the police were out in full force this summer checking on stickers.  My understanding on this one is that out of town scallopers were launching locally and competing with the local commercial scallopers.

The traffic has gotten horrendous.  My friends in East Marion have seen their 5 minute commutes to Greenport town now take 25 and 30 minutes because of the lavender farm traffic.  

We have owned a home in Mattituck since 1979 and the commutes back to NYC on fall Sunday afternoons is just not worth it now cause of the pumpkin and apple pickers.  Traffic is literally standstill on the two major roads and even the secret south road (Peconic Bay Blvd) is no longer a secret.  Best to wait til nightfall (or leave early).

I bring this up to try and explain what some of the backlash is all about.  I get why people come from near and far with their families to enjoy our farms, beaches and fishery and I’ve adjusted (personally)....but not all locals are as understanding.

My place is right before the lavender farm.  If I wasn't a law abiding citizen, that would be my black silhouette carrying a flamethrower you'd see the night before it burnt down.

The worst part - people basically abandoning their cars wherever they feel like it.  I do think the towns need to add some traffic enforcement during the summer, because the crowds have swelled and I don't think they've sized up to meet the demand.  The tickets they'd write during that period would probably pay another salary outright.

The trailer permit I understood - but I've been getting those permits by mail for years now.  Every year, the same deal - night fishing/clam/beach/dump.  They knew they passed a new law requiring a trailer permit, couldn't they at least include some documentation saying they started requiring it this year?  I didn't get a ticket, but missed a weekend until I could get the trailer permit. 

My mothers home is in East Marion and it's become a real challenge to visit at times.  We've had ferry traffic for a number of years now but the lavender farm and the agritainment to the west have made it almost impossible at times.  

It's just common courtesy to respect everywhere we fish, even more important when you're not fishing your home turf. It seems that the UTI ( up the Island) crowd just doesn't get it, and for the most part are a royal PITA .

Posted (edited)

50 mins ago, YakDawg said:

My mothers home is in East Marion and it's become a real challenge to visit at times.  We've had ferry traffic for a number of years now but the lavender farm and the agritainment to the west have made it almost impossible at times.  

I’m in Orient and agree 100%. During the lavender bloom- I make a point of not going west of the causeway during the day.  Parking in Greenport is such a chit show, I make a point of going to town early in the morning to avoid the insanity.  This time of year, with the Pumpkin and Apple pickers, you can’t drive west of Mattituck in either direction during daylight hours without sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Yeah-it stinks, but there are still few places I would rather be spending my time with family and friends and of course, fishing.On the bright side, the lavender bloom seemed to end earlier this year and they have opened another farm in Riverhead near Splish Splash. Hopefully, this reduces the congestion a bit as it is a shorter trip from Queens to Riverhead than it is to East Marion.

Long gone are the days of potato fields as far as the eye can see and Peconic Bay scallops (in numbers). It is my sincere hope that in the future, I am not lamenting the loss striped bass population like I currently do with the winter flounder.  

Edited by jesgord

lol. the lavender farm. I went there once with the family. Spent hours in bumper to bumper traffic. Ohhhs and ahhhs like 5 minute. More bumper to bumper traffic on the way home, oh joy. Once is more than enough for a lifetime in my opinion. 

1 person likes this

Definitely check out Blue Water Ventures in Southold. The owner Chris ties his own bucktails/flies and they are awesome.

Edited by cmalhame
1 person likes this

I wish we had been closer to those great tackle stores further east. Warren's Tackle in Aquabogue has some of the most unfriendly counter help I've ever dealt with in a B&T.

11 hours ago, gellfex said:

I wish we had been closer to those great tackle stores further east. Warren's Tackle in Aquabogue has some of the most unfriendly counter help I've ever dealt with in a B&T.

Hehe, I thought I was the only guy that got that treatment from that place, other people seem to like it.

Although they don't have the selection that the larger B&T's out west do, both Bluewater and Wego have great service and friendly staff.

10 hours ago, YakDawg said:

Remember Artie and A.P White's in Greenport?

I do!  Used to head there with my grandfather before grabbing a box of worms and heading out to Port of Egypt for a skiff rental.

I still go to the oyster bar that's there now just for sentimental reasons (and because I like to drink and eat raw oysters).