dlaurend

First Trip to North Fork (?) of Long Island

40 posts in this topic

Ok 

Headed there to a bnb on Oct 18-21st.  Not looking for fishing spots, but are there any good tackle shops near the Ellis House BNB that I can visit and get some general advice on target species / shore fishing spots / charter boat possibilities and general fishing information.   Is there an opportunity to bring my truck on a beach and what are the permit requirements if I’m trying to do just 2 days.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Check if your rental agreement include some sort of town parking pass or let you apply for a parking pass with your rental agreement / receipt. Google map is your friend, tackle shop, good eats, etc. 

WEGO Bait and Tackle is in Southold.  It’s great!

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, dlaurend said:

Ok 

Headed there to a bnb on Oct 18-21st.  Not looking for fishing spots, but are there any good tackle shops near the Ellis House BNB that I can visit and get some general advice on target species / shore fishing spots / charter boat possibilities and general fishing information.   Is there an opportunity to bring my truck on a beach and what are the permit requirements if I’m trying to do just 2 days.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Where exactly is the Ellis House?  What town?

Group 

Appreciate the responses.   Great information.   Thanks again.   

I'll second Wego, Steve is the man.

In addition to being sure to get the permits - be careful where you park.  I know right by my house, the town put up a no parking sign last year right by the beach that caught quite a few people offguard, having parked there for years.  There's still beach parking, but it cuts off abruptly at the sign.

Also - the permits don't cover night parking/fishing, you'll need to go to town hall for that.

To anyone thinking about coming out here, even if you have been here before pay attention. Because of crappy behavior by out of towners this year and the multi page article on fishing here in another fishing publication us locals reached our boiling point.  Of the five east end towns Southold was always way lack on ticketing for no permits. That has ended as of this week. They will now even be ticketing in the beach parking lots as well as all the dead ends.

Last weekend one of our more popular dead ends had 30 trucks parked and from my quick estimate not one was local. Guys parked in the middle of the road , their excuse they didn't want to scratch their trucks with the overgrowth of brush. We had trucks while not completely in drive ways their bumpers and trailer hitch racks were sticking into them. Peoples mailboxes were blocked on sat. Car doors slammed and screaming yo mofo at 5 am didn't help either.

The out of town permit is now 300 bucks and only available at town hall  mon to fri 8 to4. Suggest you all get one if you are coming. Before you say it was googans causing the problems, it was not. I recognize a lot of faces from working the winter show circuit and by watching on the beaches I could see a lot of talented fishermen and ladies with very expensive gear.  If you are in this crowd please don't take it as an insult, just an observation of a local and a reminder that we didn't cause this , you all did. As a result one of our private beaches we all had access to now has a gate up and we have to use a tick infested path thru the woods.

19 mins ago, reelfire said:

To anyone thinking about coming out here, even if you have been here before pay attention. Because of crappy behavior by out of towners this year and the multi page article on fishing here in another fishing publication us locals reached our boiling point.  Of the five east end towns Southold was always way lack on ticketing for no permits. That has ended as of this week. They will now even be ticketing in the beach parking lots as well as all the dead ends.

Last weekend one of our more popular dead ends had 30 trucks parked and from my quick estimate not one was local. Guys parked in the middle of the road , their excuse they didn't want to scratch their trucks with the overgrowth of brush. We had trucks while not completely in drive ways their bumpers and trailer hitch racks were sticking into them. Peoples mailboxes were blocked on sat. Car doors slammed and screaming yo mofo at 5 am didn't help either.

The out of town permit is now 300 bucks and only available at town hall  mon to fri 8 to4. Suggest you all get one if you are coming. Before you say it was googans causing the problems, it was not. I recognize a lot of faces from working the winter show circuit and by watching on the beaches I could see a lot of talented fishermen and ladies with very expensive gear.  If you are in this crowd please don't take it as an insult, just an observation of a local and a reminder that we didn't cause this , you all did. As a result one of our private beaches we all had access to now has a gate up and we have to use a tick infested path thru the woods.

The tourists are no great shakes, but let's not let the locals off the hook either.  In too many cases, they're effin slobs.  The beach at the end of my block is a constant trash generator, and it's 95% locals.  Beer bottles, bottle caps, cigarette butts, food containers/wrappers.  The town refuses to put a garbage can there, and the locals are too lazy to haul their crap out with them, leaving most of it on the beach.  Seems like the real gripe the locals have is not being able to f**k up their beaches themselves.

During years of visiting my folks when they lived in Mattituck and then Riverhead, I found that the path of least resistance as far as access was the various parks since the local roads are so restricted. Many of them that have fees during summer are free now. Good luck.

54 mins ago, reelfire said:

I am not sure where you are going with this. I certainly hope that other towns don't reciprocate this restriction and penalized all for a few bad apples. Majority of them will not see what's posted here or even give a sh** after they leave. If you think your local beach is dirty, you haven't been to NYC, I'll show you what dirty beaches looks like.  No matter what we do, trash will happen that's what I am saying.  So we should restrict access to all out of towner as well? No out of towner is permitted to fish any water besides their home town? this is absurd, surly you can see that.

5 mins ago, hobobob said:

I am not sure where you are going with this. I certainly hope that other towns don't reciprocate this restriction and penalized all for a few bad apples. Majority of them will not see what's posted here or even give a sh** after they leave. If you think your local beach is dirty, you haven't been to NYC, I'll show you what dirty beaches looks like.  No matter what we do, trash will happen that's what I am saying.  So we should restrict access to all out of towner as well? No out of towner is permitted to fish any water besides their home town? this is absurd, surly you can see that.

The problem is bigger than trash and has been bubbling over for the last few years. A lot of it is exactly what the S.Fork dealt with. The only difference is way smaller access points and very limited parking at the main points. Simply put : there aint enough room. It's the new "hot spot" and alot of beach front homeowners or renters think there property extends into the water: it don't. Like reelfire said above, it's becoming a #### show and the town has been bringing these restrictions up at meetings for several years.

So the real motives is they don't want outsider on "their" beach, trash just another smoke and mirror.  I am sure the local business like what they proposed as well. 

Where did I say anything about trash. Quote me where I said trash. I warned anyone coming to have proper permits and to park semi normal.