More dead on beaches

Rate this topic

saltfisherman

Todays news for afternoon. 

In Naples;

Drs Pass had huge washup of dead fish. 

Laudermilk had dead crabs

Matlacha, had a turtle was up. 

Totals of turtles dead is now at 700. Yes that’s 700. Figure out the math, they lay about 100 eggs and of course most don’t survive. 1 of 1000 survive to sexual maturity. But those that do don’t have a chance now. Generations lost. 

This is a blank blank Fn disgusting mess. It makes us sick to our stomachs.  We moved here for the wildlife, now we have less left. Im Glad I have pictures taken of some of it. When the crabs are dying you know it’s hit the entire water column. 

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I wonder if a hurricane travelling up the long axis, S to N, would help.  

Was reading a little on this earlier , and some claim the hurricanes only make it worse , or actually cause the red tide . The heavy rain runoff is littered with fertilizer and chemicals that can feed the algae.

BLM - Bass Lives Matter 

Race - human like everyone else

It’s interesting living in a state that is by all means flat. The elevation change is only something like a foot from north the south. Because of that the runoff that other states would see is very defined and specific to bodies of water. We get what they call “sheet flow”. It’s nothing more than a slow moving large area of slow moving waters. The whole thing moves like a sheet, hence the name. It takes time for the flooding aspect to happen, it builds over time. The idea will be that the rains from further north will slowly make their way towards us. The rain could be a group of days events to the watershed areas. It’s not just like an enlarged river and then it goes down in height. The rise of a lake like Lake O will be days of rising over a longer period of time. It might not stop rising for weeks to come from this. 

It would be pretty fantastic that a given hurricane going to a different part of the state could help where the understanding is a hurricane gave us the worst of the algae and red tide growth. 

The hurricane irma is believed to have stirred up Lake O and that is what has let the growth of the algae get so bad this year. 

Hi,

Just was looking for the best place to go Friday on shore and maybe see the mullet and stuff. But yesterday on was in Hollywood just before Dania on Oak st walking maybe three blocks nort and sout I must of seen 100 dead assorted grunts some kind of a trigger fish the were all very small no bigger than 5 in. so I thought they were washed up from the surf and should I think also could be Red Tide.?