Fishing Belt Second Rod Holder

Rate this topic

flyangler

There are days walking the beach, jetty or back bay where I want two rigged rods with me. Walking with two rods is not hard, the issue arises when it is time to fish and you need to store the unused rod.

For awhile I went with just sticking the unused rod in my waders, or belt, depending on whether wading or not. While expedient, the tucked in rod inevitably flops around, especially when not in waders. And while that works occasionally, it is not a frequent use, long term solution. So I sought a more refined solution but could not find a commercial solution that worked. So it was DIY time, 

Standard single rod holder tube

Tek-lok belt clip

Plastic cut from plastic storage box top

Stainless hardware 

Total time about two hours, much spent perfecting the size and shape of the blue plastic piece. 

1C8A2F76-500B-43EA-A923-3A29513270CB.jpeg.427c21b31aecef77f4afad2c0c525c0c.jpeg

DDC0E3E0-0BC5-4430-BA2A-A12257A299AF.jpeg.b44882d5657c68dfc3f860acc37618f0.jpeg

E99B6145-BDFF-4E00-94BF-63175D5441E2.jpeg.d36968b63157771ff44fbe1f9637c03a.jpeg

F0AC8F03-E049-41C6-8118-2C6C9D41DB8E.jpeg.f45678be4b6fb2112db6097b83238e84.jpeg

AB05A36D-670C-490A-8842-2BF3FAAB03D2.jpeg.80b6e0fdb2244269ee650a65644c9003.jpeg

B65F1739-ACD5-439D-921F-2A39A76547A3.jpeg.32bea156895d974eff167719d9925708.jpeg

Edited by tomkaz

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

Here’s something i just thought of, say you’re running down the beach at a good pace chasing a school or get knocked over by a wave while standing in the surf line. Maybe a bungee to keep the rod in place so it doesn’t pop out. 

I was thinking of a velcro strap ....

Tom nice setup but looks heavey.  I stole the idea from stripernight of cutting slits in a fernco fitting and slipping it on my belt. Less hardware.  Could probably stiffin it up with a rod holder inside or a piece of pvc but it works fine and is light.

I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

8 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Here’s something i just thought of, say you’re running down the beach at a good pace chasing a school or get knocked over by a wave while standing in the surf line. Maybe a bungee to keep the rod in place so it doesn’t pop out. 

Not a concern that I have as we are rarely in the wash, usually knee deep. If I am chasing fish by any distance, second rod comes out during sprint and then will get placed back in holder before next cast. 

7 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

I was thinking of a velcro strap ....

Never considered it but I have some short bungies that would work. The hooks at the bottom of the tube and the bungie up and over the reel stem. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

As long as it's something that you can  EASILY  "do or un-do " behind your back in the dark while it's raining and yer in a hurry. Then it's all good.

If you have to struggle for just a few seconds, it could cost you your life. 

Just saying some other thing are more important.... Ben there, done stoopid ****e

Edited by Ben Lippen
add

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

As long as it's something that you can  EASILY  "do or un-do " behind your back in the dark while it's raining and yer in a hurry. Then it's all good.

If you have to struggle for just a few seconds, it could cost you your life. 

Just saying some other thing are more important.... Ben there, done stoopid ****e

Florida surf fishermen are pvssies compared to NE rock hoppers. 

Supposed to blow 20-25 out of the East tomorrow morning but tarpon have been chasing bait out of the water for the past three mornings under same wind, but 15-18mph. Friend caught a PB yesterday, he figures 175 pounds, on top water plug in rolling 7-8 foot surf. That is about as crazy as it gets here, and we leave the unused rods in tubes on dry sand. 

- Victor Davis Hanson 

5 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the buoy thing?

Its a stringer. I wade fish on the Texas gulf coast usually in water at least waist deep out to the second, sometimes third sand bar. It can be a long walk or swim back in depending upon the tide. We don't have outrageous waves and tides like the East coast.

2 mins ago, kgtexas said:

Its a stringer. I wade fish on the Texas gulf coast usually in water at least waist deep out to the second, sometimes third sand bar. It can be a long walk or swim back in depending upon the tide. We don't have outrageous waves and tides like the East coast.

Thanks.  Just haven’t seen that and it’s pretty neat. 

We do have long shallow beaches up here too. May be a good addition to the belt.