Angler #1

All Veterans be aware of the following

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, jhndoe said:

Has anyone been successful getting a shellfish permit at the resident rate ?

Look at Fizzy Fishes post As I have indicated from the start the answer has not changed, it is YES Where is it that you wish to obtain a shell fish permit from?

It is called the BRAVE ACT it became official on November 11 2018

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just wondering, does this act also cover parking, beach fees, different permits and licenses and even mooring fees???????????

Do the Feds or State reimburse the towns for the money they are losing???????????

Just wonderin………….

Edited by b-ware

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

Just wondering, does this act also cover parking, beach fees, different permits and licenses and even mooring fees???????????

Do the Feds or State reimburse the towns for the money they are losing???????????

Just wonderin………….

It does not appear to cover parking fees, but some towns include a "parking medallion " with their shellfish permits.

Just like other fishing, plenty of access points but no parking.

• 2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Look at Fizzy Fishes post As I have indicated from the start the answer has not changed, it is YES Where is it that you wish to obtain a shell fish permit from?

It is called the BRAVE ACT it became official on November 11 2018

I intend to go to Bourne.  I have spoken to the Wareham  Harbor Master. He didn't seem to receptive to it.  I don't think the state has notified the towns about this.

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Just wonderin………….

Bernie the answer is no. However for those veterans with Handicap related service connected disabilities and  a Handicap Plate or Decal Under Massachusetts General law can not be charged a fee to park . Any honorable discharged veteran can purchase a permit to only Shell fish from any town that issue them for the price of a residential purchase price .

They simply only have to show there drivers license, that has Veteran Stamped on it or bring the discharge dd214 form with them . For example if you wanted to purchase a shell fish permit here in Sandwich and you are over 70 the permit is free , it is also free to any Veteran over 70 from any other town in the commonwealth as well. We do not charge to park at the location shell fish is allowed here in Sandwich.

To say about the reimbursement to the towns to my knowledge has not been part of any conversation I have been part of .

6 mins ago, jhndoe said:
  • I intend to go to Bourne.  I have spoken to the Wareham  Harbor Master. He didn't seem to receptive to it.  I don't think the state has notified the towns about this.

Go to Bourne they have been told about this law and they should be receptive to honoring it. I have also sent a note to the Division Of marine Fisheries as they have a say in the permit process, that they should notify all of the towns as this is part of a new law that allows the towns to actually sell permits to do shell fishing.

I purchased my shell fish permit for Barnstable County the day after it became a law and being a senior cost me the same price as a resident which is $30.00, other wise it would be over $145 or some where around that.

Edited by Angler #1

1 min ago, b-ware said:

My question again...………..Why only shellfish??????????????????

Bernie because that is how the legislators wrote the bill that the Governor signed into law. You would need to find who penned the bill that was approved and ask them that question .

1 hour ago, jhndoe said:
  • I intend to go to Bourne.  I have spoken to the Wareham  Harbor Master. He didn't seem to receptive to it.  I don't think the state has notified the towns about this.

Right, I don't think the state has notified the towns.

I seriously doubt that many of the towns will be very receptive to it.

I intend to go to the town hall this week and look into the property tax work program for veterans, which is part of this Brace Act.  I'll probably be cleaning toilets at town hall

10 mins ago, jhndoe said:

I intend to go to the town hall this week and look into the property tax work program for veterans, which is part of this Brace Act.  I'll probably be cleaning toilets at town hall

jhndoe unless you have a service connected disability, forgot what the percentage of disability is, you will not get any property tax rebates if that is what you are speaking about> It is called the Brave Act . Most towns have places you can work to reduce your tax burden We have one here in Sandwich  where one can work to apply towards your taxes on property. If you are disabled honorable discharged veteran  you get a designated sum removed from your tax bills once a year , that was passed by town meeting a while back No working program. Most towns have some sort of program like that and the money comes from a veterans fund run by the town operating budget

Edited by Angler #1

It’s 400 a year of property taxes.      But there is also a work off program. Unless I’m reading this wrong

image.jpg

jhndoe the abatement they are speaking about is the Veterans Disability rebate given on your Taxes once a year ,  This rebate is tied to a service disability where you also receive disability check from the federal government, that states how much of a disability you have and it begins with 10 percent and goes higher . You bring that to the local tax access-or and they will certify you to be eligible for this rebate . After filling out the paper work the town will rebate the approved amount from your bill once each year . In our town that rebate begins at $500, it just went up from $300 Hope this helps you better understand the above sentence.

The next sentence that shows an increase to the work program from $1000 to $1500 is different in that in order to obtain this rebate you must be given a job from the town [at min wages] and you can work for the town until you have put in enough hours that add up to $1500. Most of those jobs here in Sandwich are not manual, but secretarial, research , assisting some department , what ever they can find for some one willing to do .     

20 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Bernie because that is how the legislators wrote the bill that the Governor signed into law. You would need to find who penned the bill that was approved and ask them that question .

I have found nothing referring to shell fishing in that act, nor is it very clear about what is and is not covered for permit fees...…………….