Angler #1

All Veterans be aware of the following

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried to get a non-resident shell fishing permit as a veteran according to this act ?    ( Senate # 2632) 

 

I talked to a ( town unnamed) shell fish dept. employee today and was told that they went by their town resident by-laws and this act did not apply to them.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

Has anyone tried to get a non-resident shell fishing permit as a veteran according to this act ?    ( Senate # 2632) 

 

I talked to a ( town unnamed) shell fish dept. employee today and was told that they went by their town resident by-laws and this act did not apply to them.  

 

He can tell you al he wants , he is incorrect. I along with a few others that I rake with have all obtained permits to fish in other towns where we are not residents. Simply take your drivers license down if you have had them certified  a a veteran and or take your dd214 form down that shows that you are a honorable discharge one . and simply go to the front desk and ask for the permit under the new act that our governor signed into law and became effective on Veterans day this year That all towns that sell shell fish permits must sell them to veterans at the same rate that is charged the resident[   it is called the Brave Act] Send me the name of the town you are trying to get a permit with if they still give you static. This is only for a recreational shell fish permit. Matter of fact, call up the Barnstable and or Sandwich Shell fish office and they will confirm . Simply ask are they giving out permits under the Brave Act to those who live outside of there towns to Veterans

Edited by Angler #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For further information my friend and I both live next to each other here in Sandwich have raked over 4 half pecks each since the official date, of Oysters. We both only had to pay $30 for our permits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

He can tell you al he wants , he is incorrect. I along with a few others that I rake with have all obtained permits to fish in other towns where we are not residents. Simply take your drivers license down if you have had them certified  a a veteran and or take your dd214 form down that shows that you are a honorable discharge one . and simply go to the front desk and ask for the permit under the new act that our governor signed into law and became effective on Veterans day this year That all towns that sell shell fish permits must sell them to veterans at the same rate that is charged the resident[   it is called the Brave Act] Send me the name of the town you are trying to get a permit with if they still give you static. This is only for a recreational shell fish permit. Matter of fact, call up the Barnstable and or Sandwich Shell fish office and they will confirm . Simply ask are they giving out permits under the Brave Act to those who live outside of there towns to Veterans

Thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have looked and I can't find the shellfish benefit anywhere.  If someone can find it and post it that would be great.  I also called a harbor master friend and he has never heard of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an except of the bill with the part about shellfish permits.

SENATE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . No. 2632

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

_______________

In the One Hundred and Ninetieth General Court

(2017-2018)

_______________

An Act relative to veterans' benefits, rights, appreciation, validation and enforcement.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

 

 

274 SECTION 29. Section 52 of chapter 130 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby

275 amended by inserting after the word “therefor”, in line 61, the following words:- ; provided,

276 however, that such city or town shall not charge a veteran a fee greater than the fee charged to a

277 resident of such city or town

 

The complete law/bill is here

S2632 New Mass veterans benefits.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 11:49 AM, Angler #1 said:

Just got an E mail from our Service Officer  and it goes like this

In response to the shellfish Question  Section 29 of the Brave Act of 2018 . Which becomes effective on Veterans day states you insert the clause 'provided' , however that such city and town shall not charge a veteran a fee greater than the fee charged to a resident of such city or town . This clause will be inserted in Mgl130,Section 52,

This should help to explain it enough so that the towns and citys understand this new law for those who served have been recognized in the Brave ACT OF 2018 AND WILL NEED TO COMPLY .

Does this also apply to non-residents of the state?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Does this also apply to non-residents of the state?

Mike unfortunately it only applies to residents  of Massachusetts. They for the most part go by your drivers license as long as it states you are a veteran, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Mike unfortunately it only applies to residents  of Massachusetts. They for the most part go by your drivers license as long as it states you are a veteran, 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, where I keep my boat is only a few miles away. Get their reports every Sunday. They just stopped tog fishing and are now concentration on cod and haddock. Been a long time since we had a haddock bite in RI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Yeah, where I keep my boat is only a few miles away. Get their reports every Sunday. They just stopped tog fishing and are now concentration on cod and haddock. Been a long time since we had a haddock bite in RI.

Mike thank you for getting back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.