Angler #1

All Veterans be aware of the following

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

That our Governor just approved a veterans benefit under the BrAVE ACT THAT MAY HAVE SOME NICE BENNIES TO IT . Each year the veterans lobby for different benefits for the Veterans in our State and it goes through the legislative process and then once it is passed must be signed by the Governor to make it into a law.

One item of interest is that every city and town is directed for example to designate reserved parking for veterans at city and town halls {

It changes the eligibility   requirements for veterans property Tax exemptions  from residing in the Commonwealth for 5 years to residing in the Commonwealth for 2 consecutive years .

This is one among many I like the best and it goes like this Prohibits cities and towns from charging a veteran  a fee greater than the fee charged to a resident of that town for Shell Fishing.

To be prepared to show your honorable dd214 form or better yet have it placed on your Drivers license, next time you renew your licenses. I plan on testing this very shortly, but I see no problem , other then they migh not be aware of this new legislative requirements for veterans.

The American Legion have been active participants in getting many of the latest changes given those who served  an better opportunity to be recognized for this service. We have an active Service Officer at the American Legion Post here in Sandwich and at the E board meeting this morning he shared with us a list of new benefits for all veterans , So I thought I would share it all of my fellow veterans here on SOL [This is only applicable here In Massachusetts at this time.            This Brave Act will become law on November 11 which every one knows is Veterans Day                      

Edited by Angler #1

BZ well done MA, Many towns in Fl are Purple Heart cities and at many place of business they have reserved parking spots for PH service men and women, FL drivers license has "veteran" on front as well as a star and USA to indicate a citizen from USA

On Veterans day many places of Business offer Free meal, Free coffee, donuts and such , I can well afford to pay full price so I do not take advantage of these offers as I know that many Vets out there who truly need this free offer so I just say thanks when I do visit

To me a simple Thank You goes along ways and often I feel embarrassed, serving in US Military is not a Right it is a Privilege, two other words that mean a great deal are ""I voted " 

That is what we served for, to perpetuate this freedom for those that Follow, stay well SOL members     Al

It looks like there is a work program for real estate tax.  $1500 per year.  I never knew about this.  I couldn't find anything about shellfish licenses . I'd love to see admission to state and federal parks included.

I have a feeler out on the shell fish permit as i also was unable to confirm this latest letter I have that simply states it as a fact. I will let every one know as soon as I get more conformation from our service officer who will do some research to help collaborate what he gave me.

Some where in the MGL is also another little unknown fact that if you are a disabled vet that you also can not be charged for a parking permit .

Just got an E mail from our Service Officer  and it goes like this

In response to the shellfish Question  Section 29 of the Brave Act of 2018 . Which becomes effective on Veterans day states you insert the clause 'provided' , however that such city and town shall not charge a veteran a fee greater than the fee charged to a resident of such city or town . This clause will be inserted in Mgl130,Section 52,

This should help to explain it enough so that the towns and citys understand this new law for those who served have been recognized in the Brave ACT OF 2018 AND WILL NEED TO COMPLY .

7 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Just got an E mail from our Service Officer  and it goes like this

In response to the shellfish Question  Section 29 of the Brave Act of 2018 . Which becomes effective on Veterans day states you insert the clause 'provided' , however that such city and town shall not charge a veteran a fee greater than the fee charged to a resident of such city or town . This clause will be inserted in Mgl130,Section 52,

This should help to explain it enough so that the towns and citys understand this new law for those who served have been recognized in the Brave ACT OF 2018 AND WILL NEED TO COMPLY .

This is great. I’ll definitely be taking advantage of this. Thanks for sharing the news

Some benefits are based on level of disability. 70% service connected is needed for things like the free parking at state parks beaches.   I wonder if their is a level of disability needed.   

21 mins ago, Fish Monkey said:

How exactly does the property tax exemption work? My wife is a veteran and we are coming up on 2 years in MA.

Last I checked it applied to disabled veterans who are deemed 10% disabled by the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs.  Other eligibility requirements also apply.  The property tax exemption ranges from $400-$1,500.

For more info, best check with the MA Dept. of Veteran Services....600 Washington St., Boston.....617 210 5480. 

I believe the property tax exemption is only for veterans with a compensable disability of 10% or more.  I think the law states $400 per year but some city and towns  provide amounts exceeding that threshold.

It applies to only those veterans that have been granted a disability that is service related.as Joe indicated above. It begins a 10 percent and can be up to 100 percent . In some towns the higher the disability the more they allow towards the property taxes. Each town for the most part has a bylaw to that affect and you would need to research that or talk to the veterans service officer for your town So for the most part if you do not have a disability you would not qualify . Also look at what the state allows as well on obtaining some compensation, upon being discharged. In some cases it is very generous , but for the most part one must have lived here prior to ser4ving and being discharged honorably [That is key] Should you have any questions in regards to your military time served and what you may be entitled to it best that you make an appointment with the local veterans group in your town or surrounding area. Like ours is in Hyannis. They will, sit down with you and help prepare any paper work that may be needed for Federal or state financial needs or health needs that you may qualify for to get Veteran hospital medical help that is tied into the billet you served under and became disabled. At first it may be a struggle , but if you are deserving as a result of being disabled from service connected problems you earned the right to apply and let it work through the system . Had it not been for my son a few years ago making the appointment and working with me at the local Va center because I did not think I deserved any service connected disability I was wrong . It has helped me stay in my home and given me some peace of mind for the future progression of my disabilities that help will be available to make the process less painful. If you served and have a service connected disability you need to check out all roads to see if you may qualify for help , because it is out there some where, you just need to find it for your particular situation.