chunk

There Has To Be Something More To Life Than

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

I was just talking about something along these lines in the office today.  Some random clips from the discussion.  The theory of relativity states that there must be a finite beginning of time and a finite end of time.  Everything that will happen has already occured.  Your position in Space-time defines your observational point.  That is you only observe and see space-time from your relative perspective in the universe.  Someone else in the universe sees space-time different from their position in the universe.  Time only seems to flow in one direction though it is entirely possible for it to flow backwards as well.  Classical physics only works on large masses but not so much for sub-atomic particles.  If there is an infinite number of planets then it is incredibly likely that there is life out there in the cosmos.  Why haven't we heard from them?  Why hasn't god communicated with man?  The more you think about it, the more likely it is that we live completely in an artificial simulation.  It would definitely explain quite a few things.  Relativity, space-time, dark matter, gravitational waves, Higgs-Boson,  lack of communication with other species/beings.  No evidence of communication with god or supreme being.  Lack of "fairness" in the world.  All governed by the massive program and code in the artificial world you live in.  It's not real.  There is no spoon.  https://www.pbs.org/video/nova-the-fabric-of-the-cosmos-the-illusion-of-time/

“Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.”--Albert Einstein March 1955
Edited by fatbikerjoe

Don't believe in a specific God - but do believe there is a higher power.   But as far as I'm concerned it will always be the great unknownable unknown.   Obviously, belief is not the same as fact.  You can have faith without worshiping a singular God or bunch of gods if that gets you all hot and bothered.

Plenty of non-believers are just as moralistic and selfless, if not more so, than believers.  We are born with innate goodness - it just needs to be cultivated and guided.  This is where being in religion can help.   But plenty of people don't need religion to be a good person.   Liberals can be as religious as conservatives - "blue" Jesus vs "red" Jesus.   Many would argue that Jesus was more "blue" than "red" but that's for another thread.

It's a fact organized religion has caused the world much pain and grief while giving joy, grace and a sense of community.    

12 hours ago, GeoffT said:

We are born with innate goodness - it just needs to be cultivated and guided. 

Burnt into your DNA somehow.

maybe that's "creation" of abrahamic religions.

12 hours ago, GeoffT said:

It's a fact organized religion has caused the world much pain and grief while giving joy, grace and a sense of community.    

World had plenty of pain and grief before religion. Self appointed leaders were enslaving groups and slaughtering rivals. Thats another human concept we have trouble with. 

To create a common concept that liberated slaves of egypt, overthrew invaders, almost tamed the native tribes of arabia and have it intrinsic to life is amazing.

Unfortunately, The enlightened groups still had a tendency to treat less enlightened groups badly. 

38 mins ago, Dave588 said:

Burnt into your DNA somehow.

maybe that's "creation" of abrahamic religions.

World had plenty of pain and grief before religion. Self appointed leaders were enslaving groups and slaughtering rivals. Thats another human concept we have trouble with. 

To create a common concept that liberated slaves of egypt, overthrew invaders, almost tamed the native tribes of arabia and have it intrinsic to life is amazing.

Unfortunately, The enlightened groups still had a tendency to treat less enlightened groups badly. 

We are all just sinners committing sin against one another. There is no peace because there is not peace within a single one of us. 

Always was, is, and always will be. 

How anyone can look at a rainbow, sunrise, sunset, newborn child, etc etc and not see God's hand in this is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, Good2Go said:

How anyone can look at a rainbow, sunrise, sunset, newborn child, etc etc and not see God's hand in this is beyond me. 

You might be right. I couldn’t do it

3 hours ago, chunk said:

We are all just sinners committing sin against one another. There is no peace because there is not peace within a single one of us. 

Its possible that one part of us was creation and the other part is still evolution.

14 hours ago, Good2Go said:

Why does there have to be a God?  It’s your emotion and appreciation of beauty that leads you to think there has to be a god.  But emotion is not fact.  

The universe itself does a nice job creating amazing things at the cosmic level.  Maybe the universe is God.  

What is God to you?   Whatever the answer is, it’s faith because you cannot provide evidence of an actual supernatural being.  Hell, we can’t even prove Sasquatch actually exists in spite of innumerable “sightings”. 

Edited by GeoffT

18 hours ago, GeoffT said:

Why does there have to be a God?  It’s your emotion and appreciation of beauty that leads you to think there has to be a god.  But emotion is not fact.  

The universe itself does a nice job creating amazing things at the cosmic level.  Maybe the universe is God.  

What is God to you?   Whatever the answer is, it’s faith because you cannot provide evidence of an actual supernatural being.  Hell, we can’t even prove Sasquatch actually exists in spite of innumerable “sightings”. 

Just happy that God does not require evidence of our existence. 

On 10/12/2018 at 10:29 PM, Good2Go said:

It's easy: I look at all the other things that humans have attributed to a deity, but which ended up having rational, non-supernatural explanations. Things like the change of seasons, the spread of communicable diseases, or my personal favorite, fermentation, which before the invention of the microscope was not really understood at all: people knew that it worked, but since they couldn't see the yeast and bacteria doin' their thing, they didn't know how it worked. And, as humans have done innumerable times, they ascribed the inexplicable to an invented deity: fermentation was said to be a "gift from god." But we now know that god has nothing to do with it.

This road only works in one direction: things we don't understand and attribute to the divine are found to have entirely rational explanations. So it is easy for me to see things in this beautiful world, and not see the hand of a divine creator. It is ridiculously easy for me, in fact.

22 hours ago, GeoffT said:
On 10/12/2018 at 10:29 PM, Good2Go said:

Why does mankind have emotion?